Star Wars in 3D? Really?

GalenDurron

So I've been seeing commercials for the Star Wars movie being re-released in theatres in 3D and I can't help but going "Realy George? Really?". I'm so sick of Lucas trying to squeeze money from every possible angle. He'll go and remaster the prequels, add stuff, remove stuff, and alter stuff in the original trilogy, he's release countless special edition versions on different video formats, but yet he won't take the Original Trilogy in it's original, unaltered form and remaster and release that. And when I say remaster, I mean use current technology to touch up and enhance what is already there, ie color, sound, picture quality, etc. It's like he is determined to completely change what he made so it's barely recognizable. Doesn't he realize that the vast majority of us fell in love with Star Wars because of what he originally created? It's like taking Michelangelo's "David" and chiseling his face until it looks like Brad Pitt. Sure he's a handsome guy, but the current face is great too. (and I know comparing Star Wars to a world-renowned statue made by a famous sculptor is a bit of a stretch...but the point is still there)

So I for one will not be shelling out my money to see the movies in theatres in 3D. I won't support Lucas continually changing the movies until they are no longer even recongnizable. It won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things because plenty of people will see them, but I won't be a part of it.

How about you?

I will only go see them if my daughter wants to (thankfully, she's already passing on TPM). Because despite how utterly unforgivable the latest changes are, I think it's every kid's God-given right to see Star Wars in the theaters.

If only I could take her to see the uncut versions.

While i love star wars(along with other great brands) i do agree that this entire lets compleetly **** up the game/movie/book/whatever to get more money out of it.

It seems making new games/books/movie's isnt good when you still have top selling milk cow's.

I mean really i can make 6 different universe while sleeping how hard can it be to try something new?

Yeah I agree sometime you need to be like when is enough enough, but I also agree everyone should be able to see the movies on the big screen, and I am going to go see all of them even though Im not a big fan on TPM. There are alot children out there who like star wars but are to long to have seen any of them in theaters.

I know you guys love Star Wars, but really... Why would you begrudge him the right of making more money? Welcome to Capitalism. I work in Telecom. If I could sell the same person the same phone every day and make them sign a new contract every day I would do it, so I made more money.

If you say you wouldn't, you're lying to yourself.

Can't wait to see it. I don't think TPM is a masterpiece of film, but I enjoy watching it still. As far as why go see it?

Well, Lucas just dropped $140M of his own money to produce Red Tails, which probably won't make the money back because it's a story in U.S. history with a black cast. Reality is there will be very little revenue from overseas (which is why no one would produce it).

So if for no other reason, go see TPM3D (and Red Tails) because that was a pretty awesome thing for Lucas to do.

I know you guys love Star Wars, but really... Why would you begrudge him the right of making more money? Welcome to Capitalism. I work in Telecom. If I could sell the same person the same phone every day and make them sign a new contract every day I would do it, so I made more money.

If you say you wouldn't, you're lying to yourself.

I don't begrudge him the right to make more money. In fact, if he'd rerelease the uncut originals in theaters, I can guarantee you he'd make a crap ton more money than this 3D fartfest.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

Can't wait to see it. I don't think TPM is a masterpiece of film, but I enjoy watching it still. As far as why go see it?

Well, Lucas just dropped $140M of his own money to produce Red Tails, which probably won't make the money back because it's a story in U.S. history with a black cast. Reality is there will be very little revenue from overseas (which is why no one would produce it).

So if for no other reason, go see TPM3D (and Red Tails) because that was a pretty awesome thing for Lucas to do.

I'll agree with this, people ***** at him but he spends his own money to do projects... why get mad? No ones forcing you to see the movie again. I'm looking forward to it, especially 4, 5, and 6 if they get to those.

I'll agree with this, people ***** at him but he spends his own money to do projects... why get mad? No ones forcing you to see the movie again. I'm looking forward to it, especially 4, 5, and 6 if they get to those.

And I don't understand what's so confusing about this concept:

People wouldn't be nearly as mad about the prequels or the Special Editions if Lucas didn't deliberately deny us access to the original, unedited trilogy.

This would be so wonderful. Sadly, I'd imagine he'd rather burn the film than do this. He seems to hate it, despite the fact that it's the main reason he's worth a bazillion dollars.

He pretty much did (though there's been folks in positions to know that claim there's at least one existing master print out there). The reason he released the THX editions back in the 90s was he'd just finished cleaning up the original prints before chopping them up and resplicing them as the Special Edition master reels.

In other words, the original prints he used for the Special Editions don't exist in their original format anymore, but there may still be another copy somewhere.

I don't see why you would, that's not the trailer hes showing in commercials, nor is it the official one for the movie, or the re-release, its just an off-shoot one made for kids, that you wouldn't even see unless you looked for it on Youtube.

I don't see why you would, that's not the trailer hes showing in commercials, nor is it the official one for the movie, or the re-release, its just an off-shoot one made for kids, that you wouldn't even see unless you looked for it on Youtube.

It's an official trailer. It doesn't matter where you see it or why, because the bottom line is LucasFilm made this trailer to officially promote the rerelease.

As one of the commenters stated: you just watched G-Canon in action, people.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs