Different Companions for equal or higher mobs/content?

pzljug

Any Marauder not using Quinn for equal or higher lvl content? How much gearing did you have to do on the companion to do it too?

Just curious as I like to take the others out for a spin every once in awhile but looking for suggestions on actually using someone other then the Healer for content I'm progressing on.

Unfortunatley yes I think most people do use quinn cos we are so squishy when facing multiple mobs as we have no cc's, we are a single target dps beast.

However I'd love to gear up all My pets now I'm 50 and see what is best. I'd love to pwn everything with Jeasa cos shes so hot :)

Regarding your Q tho. Yes I think you could use dif pets for dif mobs so long as you kept them all geared up, it would just mean lost more creds and lots more commendations to do so, so most peeps jus stick to one pet which is mostly Quinn while leveling.

Cool bro you must be hard. I was talking from a fresh 50 maras point of view trying to take on 5 strongs at once vut hey ho. Oh and by the way. Its DYING not DIEING ;)

I'm sorry that's my bad. I wasn't very specific when I posted this. Some content I can run with someone other the Quinn but when I hit the end of a class or planet chain the healbot comes out.

For the record, my char is only 42.

And my F7 key doesn't seem to be working either.

Thanks though, appreciate the post.

Unfortunatley yes I think most people do use quinn cos we are so squishy when facing multiple mobs as we have no cc's, we are a single target dps beast.

However I'd love to gear up all My pets now I'm 50 and see what is best. I'd love to pwn everything with Jeasa cos shes so hot :)

Regarding your Q tho. Yes I think you could use dif pets for dif mobs so long as you kept them all geared up, it would just mean lost more creds and lots more commendations to do so, so most peeps jus stick to one pet which is mostly Quinn while leveling.

Oh and ya, I was afraid of this. Was hoping that maybe there was some place where the other companions can shine instead of being manual labor. Maybe a gimmick fight or something in the story.

Only time I ever pulled Quinn out was when I hit 50 and started soloing Lights Out. He was more durable than another companion while I went to push buttons.

I used Vette every step of the way until Taris, where I used Jaesa for about 20 minutes, then went back to Vette. I was a Juggernaut though, so I could take a little bit of a beating, but I was still able to pull 3-4 times in a row between Hatred Channeling, which is still way faster than trying to kill everything yourself with Quinn just healing.

If I were to have leveled as Vengeance or as a Marauder... I "might' have used Quinn, but only until I got Pierce. Pierce is my boy, and if he kicked out more dps, I probably would use him over Vette.

One thing I loved about Vette was the "background noise" i.e. smack talk she would do. Quinn all proud and proper. I want to figure out a way to get the other's out there and see them in action. Jaesa has to be more then just a belly button.

Hmm guess I could just go do it. It would slow down my leveling exp. but don't think I will mind. I was kind of hoping that there was some kinda of gimmick fight or something that the other companions would need to be let loose in order to complete it.

Thanks all, I have a few ideas. Again, appreciate all the feedback.

I think it's way to hard to complete things without Quinn as a marauder.

That being said, I did take some of Broonmark's mission awards for a time to try and have him tank, it wasn't terrible but I just like the reliability of Quinn, he can take some damage when i need it too.

If you really want to use a different companion, I think it's doable, but probably harder than having Quinn out.

I also think the storyline has more impact with Quinn, people under level 45 wont understand but...ya.

I think it's way to hard to complete things without Quinn as a marauder.

That being said, I did take some of Broonmark's mission awards for a time to try and have him tank, it wasn't terrible but I just like the reliability of Quinn, he can take some damage when i need it too.

If you really want to use a different companion, I think it's doable, but probably harder than having Quinn out.

I also think the storyline has more impact with Quinn, people under level 45 wont understand but...ya.

Ya I see where you coming from, but I was thinking along the lines of using another companion for say the side quests and then quinn for the class/planet chains. Hardest thing would be the micro management of gear.

Oh and my char is 42, so thanks for not putting a spoiler out there :)

Any Marauder not using Quinn for equal or higher lvl content? How much gearing did you have to do on the companion to do it too?

Just curious as I like to take the others out for a spin every once in awhile but looking for suggestions on actually using someone other then the Healer for content I'm progressing on.

Its entirely possible and not too hard to use jaesa or vette while levelling quinn. It is, of course, harder, but not anything approaching hard.

For my lvl 40-50, i used jaesa decked out in the lvl 40 pvp gear.

My Jugg is level 47 and I have never used Quinn. For a long while I used Vette and later switched to Jaesa. In my experience Vette is better DPS while Jaesa is a better tank which is useful for bosses, I now switch back and forth depending on the fight.

The whole key to success with out having heals is using your companion as a tank to start the fight. I have companion attack bound to my "Y" key. Put them on the hardest mob at the very begining so they pull the pack's aggro and initial focus fire, then use your AE dps cooldowns to clear the weaker mobs, saving your CCs to tank the hardest mob. Let your companion keep agro on the hard mob as long as possible and then taunt off them when they are around 10% (usually you will pull aggro through dps by now, but just in case, you want to avoid losing the companion's dps and having to rez them) Be careful doing this on bosses who AE, you may want to leave your companion 25% or more so they can live to dps the entire fight.

Another important thing is to assign the right attacks for your companion for the right fights. Its a waste of dps and utility to have Vette's grenade or Jaesa's AE sweep active for a 1v1 boss fight, but not having these active for a big pack pull can make their dps useless.

Overall its probably more "complicated" then having a heal bot, but I enjoy it. In open world pvp I find Vette and Jaesa to be amazing at killing other people's heal bot companions while I fight the player, usually their companion is dead half way through the fight, and now I'm getting my companion's dps bonus on top of my damage while they squirm trying to figure out why their heals are not working.

I managed to do every piece of content up to 50 with Jaesa.

One big caveat however- it is pretty much mathematically impossible to fight the very last class quest boss with jaesa. If you haven't geared another companion, like I hadn't, you will very likely have no ability to beat it until you hit the gtn

I hit level 50 on my marauder a few days ago...

I used Vette until I got Quinn.

I used Quinn until I got Jasea.

I used Jasea until I got Broonmark.

I currently use Broonmark when solo and Jasea when in a group.

If I didn't use Vette for Treasure Hunting crewskill missions (the +5 critical brings in the $$$$), I would have kept using Vette until I got Broonmark.

Gear wise (from best to worst)...

Broonmark

Jasea

Vette

Quinn

Pierce

ship droid

Edited by Quiet