PVP-24/17 vs pure heal spec

Jooji

So while I was gearing up my commando healer I used the 24/17 spec that goes up to Tenacious Defense. I was using 2pc dps and 2pc heal pvp gear.

I got the 4pc heal pvp gear today so I figured I'd try a full heal spec again.

I feel like my survival went WAY down, despite having bacta infusion and the 4pc that lowers cds. Having the knockback on a 30 sec cd instead of the 15 sec cd seems to really screw me vs melee.

Anyone else experience similar?

The things you get for going deeper into the Gunnery tree far, far outweigh the underwhelming additions of Potent Medicine and Bacta Infusion. I really tell folks that honestly the only reason to go full 31 points into Combat Medic is if you're only healing Ops. Even then, you can probably live without them outside of Nightmare.

The things you get for going deeper into the Gunnery tree far, far outweigh the underwhelming additions of Potent Medicine and Bacta Infusion. I really tell folks that honestly the only reason to go full 31 points into Combat Medic is if you're only healing Ops. Even then, you can probably live without them outside of Nightmare.

Thanks for the response. I thought it was just me.

This brings me to my next question. If I go back to 24/17 should I keep the 4pc heal bonus just for the reduced CD for AMP or go back to 2pc of each?

I'm thinking about going this route myself.

I have an additional question.

I'm currently level 24. How did you choose to progress up the trees as you leveled? Combat Medic then Gunnery, Gunnery then Combat Medic, or both concurrently?

You really should give it another shot. 31/10 is a monstrously effective build for both healing and damage output. I've found it pretty common to go entire warzones without one death once I got into the 300+ expertise range.

What are you having trouble with specifically? Is it specific classes that are causing issues?

Make sure you know where the los breaks are nearby. You will undoubtedly draw the attention of some force lightning/tracer missile spam eventually. Breaking that and healing to full is very easy as a combat medic. Don't immediately think you need to run when jumped by a few different enemies. The trooper is designed to be a turret, and you have the skills to survive all out hell raining down on you.

Edited by Aerodi

24/17 is a better solo spec. Full healer is a better group setup.

Hey Glory, what is your spec right now? I am 31/8/2

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/commando/#::ef2ef6ef5ef4e3de5fdefe6f12ef6

It's a bit odd considering the alacrity and 5% healing buffs are only a 50% proc but it's nice having a safety net of near invincibility with Tier 4 talents. Also, I still have mixed feelings about Trauma Probe. If it is ticking the whole game that is around 30k healing but I feel like I can do more if I stay alive (again tier 4).

I am not online now and cannot remember if I took Psych Aid or Special Munitions.

-Spacejunk

I was 31/8/2 until a day or so ago when i switched to 24/17. I am not BM yet so i have mostly medic champ and the rest cent mixed to fill it out.

I really like the fighting with the 24/17, but I am noticing I am so busy fighting I am not healing as much and when I do they are not as strong. Not having the instant bacta is noticeable trying to heal the wz group.

I am torn atm. I am loving stickstrike knockback and the cd reduction on CC, on the melee that get on me since they know I am a healer nowadays. I am currently getting the 75k heal and 75k damage in wz whereas before I was only getting the heal and starting to get 300k sometimes as my gear got better.

I guess I really have to decide if I am to fight and off heal basically or go all out heal again to help the group.

I was 31/8/2 until a day or so ago when i switched to 24/17. I am not BM yet so i have mostly medic champ and the rest cent mixed to fill it out.

I really like the fighting with the 24/17, but I am noticing I am so busy fighting I am not healing as much and when I do they are not as strong. Not having the instant bacta is noticeable trying to heal the wz group.

I am torn atm. I am loving stickstrike knockback and the cd reduction on CC, on the melee that get on me since they know I am a healer nowadays. I am currently getting the 75k heal and 75k damage in wz whereas before I was only getting the heal and starting to get 300k sometimes as my gear got better.

I guess I really have to decide if I am to fight and off heal basically or go all out heal again to help the group.

If you're pvping, I'd suggest the 31/10/0 over the 31/8/2. I'm guessing you took the alacrity talents, which are inferior to the perks you get for Special Munitions & Muzzle Fluting.

What I tend to do is heal people until my supercharge is ready then pop that and help charged bolt a couple people down. A quick AVP>BI is very useful when you have a melee in your face and you're in the process if burning him down with charged bolts, but need that quick bit of healing. As most people don't react quickly enough to interrupt a hasted AVP.

I found the half and half approach to be much easier once I started getting some respectable pvp gear. Prior to that, I was playing the hybrid medic/assault build and found the damage to sub par. So I relegated myself to healing full time.

Edited by Aerodi

You really should give it another shot. 31/10 is a monstrously effective build for both healing and damage output. I've found it pretty common to go entire warzones without one death once I got into the 300+ expertise range.

What are you having trouble with specifically? Is it specific classes that are causing issues?

Make sure you know where the los breaks are nearby. You will undoubtedly draw the attention of some force lightning/tracer missile spam eventually. Breaking that and healing to full is very easy as a combat medic. Don't immediately think you need to run when jumped by a few different enemies. The trooper is designed to be a turret, and you have the skills to survive all out hell raining down on you.

In huttball the 24/17 spec is hands down the best spec. Having an aoe knockback on a 15 second CD+9 second shockstrike knockback is A M A Z I N G.

In Alderaan I still prefer 24/17 because the knockback is usually fully effective.

The only warzone where I miss Bacta is Voidstar, and that's partly because of how the walls are built, using conc charge doesn't always knock melee as far back as you'd like so you need the extra instant to keep up.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a full heal spec though. I can still pull huge healing numbers with or without the last 6 talents in the medic tree, and I gain the increased survival of a 15-second aoe knockback and 9-second single-target knockback..oh yeah, and 30 seconds less CD on the CC break.

In huttball the 24/17 spec is hands down the best spec. Having an aoe knockback on a 15 second CD+9 second shockstrike knockback is A M A Z I N G.

In Alderaan I still prefer 24/17 because the knockback is usually fully effective.

The only warzone where I miss Bacta is Voidstar, and that's partly because of how the walls are built, using conc charge doesn't always knock melee as far back as you'd like so you need the extra instant to keep up.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a full heal spec though. I can still pull huge healing numbers with or without the last 6 talents in the medic tree, and I gain the increased survival of a 15-second aoe knockback and 9-second single-target knockback..oh yeah, and 30 seconds less CD on the CC break.

Yeah, I can't argue about the huttball build. I played a BH to 50 though, so I'm officially sick of huttball and won't design my trooper around it. What I tend to do now is just be the guy controlling the middle of the map waiting to grab the ball to toss to someone the ledge. Which my build works well for.

While I agree the knockbacks provide some good breathing room, honestly, I'd rather the dps focus me as they seem to do a lot on my server. I can soak up massive amounts of damage, and am pretty unkillable if I have a tank. That one is just a playstyle preference though.

If the hybrid works for you that's great. I'm just trying to let people know a 31/10 build is nothing to scoff at.

Edited by Aerodi

Hey Glory, what is your spec right now? I am 31/8/2

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/commando/#::ef2ef6ef5ef4e3de5fdefe6f12ef6

It's a bit odd considering the alacrity and 5% healing buffs are only a 50% proc but it's nice having a safety net of near invincibility with Tier 4 talents. Also, I still have mixed feelings about Trauma Probe. If it is ticking the whole game that is around 30k healing but I feel like I can do more if I stay alive (again tier 4).

I am not online now and cannot remember if I took Psych Aid or Special Munitions.

-Spacejunk

We actually have very similar specs. I don't know why you wouldnt grab the trauma probe though. Here is mine currently.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/commando/#::efe2f6ef10e3de6de3fe4f12ef6

I prefer the 23/18/0 build for PvP as a DPS survival build.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/commando/#::ef2efef2e3f2e3fef3e5f3ef2e3fefefef18:

Obviously you can easily move the point from combat shield to Supercharged cells but I never run in Combat support cell I and prefer the interrupt immune for those "O crap" moments. Since full auto is pretty much worthless in PvP, unless NO ONE is targeting you, there's no point to go any higher in Gunnery.

Edited by Sotomatic