How much bandwidth does this game require to stream/function correctly?

Residentx_NA

I've played this game a few times but I keep having these problems:

1. Partial loads of the environment. Main character loads last into the environment. I get attacked by enemies I can't see.

2. Invisible walls where I run into them and can't move for several minutes

3. HUD Counters(mini map) not updating in real-time. I have to click on them to update them.

3. Long load and exit times. Yesterday I had to use the ctrl-alt-delete to get out of the game and get my system back.

Finally, what does this blue turning thing in this photo at the bottom right really represent?

http://beta.xfire.com/screenshots/121097132

I've played this game a few times but I keep having these problems:

1. Partial loads of the environment. Main character loads last into the environment. I get attacked by enemies I can't see.

2. Invisible walls where I run into them and can't move for several minutes

3. HUD Counters(mini map) not updating in real-time. I have to click on them to update them.

3. Long load and exit times. Yesterday I had to use the ctrl-alt-delete to get out of the game and get my system back.

Finally, what does this blue turning thing in this photo at the bottom right really represent?

http://beta.xfire.com/screenshots/121097132

It might not be bandwith but a combination of CPU / video card / disk drive.

If your ping rate looks good during these times (bars are on minimap) then it's not bandwidth. Turn on your FPS display. If your frame rate sucks, it's a video issue.

Here is a thread to help debug the problem

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=252808

The blue thingy is like the windows hourglass. It's animation to give the illusion that something is happening so you don't try and do anything else.

Edited by Owsley

At home, I have a Fios 150MB line and the game only plays correctly there. If I play on the road, the game goes partial. This is why I asked how much bandwidth the games takes but I think it is using more than than the average 10K per second. I'm having the partial problems everywhere but home.

This is what everybody keeps telling me but I have a Quad i7 with 32GB of RAM and a 4GB nvidia quadro card.

The kind of graphical glitches you're describing sound more like a video card issue. A bad connection might make you zone slowly, or cause enemies or other players to jump around, but it shouldn't cause things to be 'invisible'.

I'm not sure how good the support is for cutting-edge games with the Quadro drivers. These cards are designed for professional CAD use, not gaming. Do you have another video card you could try?

Edit: your later reply (posted while I was responding) makes it sound like it works fine at home on a fast connection but poorly on a slower connection.

I dunno. It seemed to work okay for me on wifi in a hotel, but I haven't tried it on a REALLY bad connection. I haven't tried actually looking at its network utilization in detail while I'm playing.

Loading can be pretty slow on even a fairly high-end computer. I've had it take 2-3 minutes at least to get into a new planet.

Edited by matthiaskotor

I'm not sure how good the support is for cutting-edge games with the Quadro drivers. These cards are designed for professional CAD use, not gaming. Do you have another video card you could try?

I bought this HP 8760w Mobile Workstation for SWTOR. I can probably by a more compatible card ATI 1GB or Nvidia Geoforce 1GB or whatever card but it won't touch the Quadro card. I'll talk to HP today.

I bought this HP 8760w Mobile Workstation for SWTOR. I can probably by a more compatible card ATI 1GB or Nvidia Geoforce 1GB or whatever card but it won't touch the Quadro card. I'll talk to HP today.

I'm not saying the Quadro card is bad -- but the drivers may not be optimized for gaming. It just stood out, and I know both NVIDIA and ATI have occasionally had problems like this in the past.

I won't have anymore comments today

1. HP says I have to talk to Nvidia about quadro and swtor.

2. HP's website is too busy during the day for me to see if a new driver has been posted recently.

3. I need to see where I can get a cheap mobile Nvidia Geo Card or Nvidia Geo Card ready similar laptop.

did some more testing, and i actually dont cross the 6kbits down and 2kbit up while cruising around illum :/

Can you test while loading a planet? I expect the bigges t traffic s during the loading, not while playing

My issue is resolved....it is bandwidth or congestion. I played for a little tonight on a private network and I had no problems whatsoever.

I'd still like see the streaming numbers but I had almost flawless play except for Heerimus on a Jedi Consular Quest that wouldnt load.

My issue is resolved....it is bandwidth or congestion. I played for a little tonight on a private network and I had no problems whatsoever.

I'd still like see the streaming numbers but I had almost flawless play except for Heerimus on a Jedi Consular Quest that wouldnt load.

ISP might be throttling the bandwidth / ports.

• 2 weeks later...
Netlimiter shows the game running at about 7-10 kps, so you should be fine.

Be careful with Netlimiter. I installed it when I read this and now all my applications are limited to 5MB. My game play today was horrid. I'm gonng to adjust the bandwidth setting and go online again. My play was so bad earlier today I had to use the taskmanager to close the application because everything took forever (loading, unloading, exiting, etc.).

Edited by Residentx_NA