The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question on Powertech dps builds. Need input.

MistrAwesome

Granted, I haven't gotten very far along with my Powertech, but I have taken a look at talent builds and have a very serious question regarding talent builds.

I looked the builds posted on these forums, then looked at second tier talents in both shield tech and AP, trying to figure out where to go after finishing pyrotech. I came up with this build, http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMZfhbbdGhrs.1 and compared to the cookie cutter build, http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hzZMsZfhbbdGhrs.1 .

My question is, diving into the second tier of shield tech and AP look like they have nice benefits. Is it better to go shield tech for 9% more Aim and 3% more rail shot damage, or AP for 60% armor ignored by rail shot and 3% increased crit from combustible gas cylinder.

I am also curious as to which of the first two builds mentioned would be superior... that is a a lot of aim gained, I guess it depends on how much harder RS hits with 3 points in Puncture as opposed to without it. Has anyone done extensive testing on these two different builds?

Interesting...

As a 50 Powertech I've done quite a lot of PVP and testing of different builds - but I actually never compared those two.

First off, getting a massive 60% armor reduction and a bit more general crit chance should not be underestimated. That's the equivalent of an average extra 15% damage on rail shot, depending on the target you're hitting.

But that's JUST rail shot. In my book, rail shot isn't even that great since it's a ranged attack and therefore doesn't benefit from your tech power bonus (many other attacks do). Now this is where it gets interesting: Your alternative spec gives you a 6% rail shot damage boost and a 9% aim bonus (not to mention fire damage). That translates to roughly the same bonus as the cookie cutter, but it applies to all your attacks (remember Aim also grants crit chance)!

Actually, Mistr, you may have come up with the new cookie cutter here :-)

While I haven't done the math, on the surface this seems extremely interesting to me (although I still favor any spec that uses Ion Cylinder) and warrants testing. Well done!

/Giggling

hey bud...

i'm 30th level PT, and using the 8/2/31 (well, eventually, lol) and i can tell you, that +9% AIM is real good... My AIM is at 612 now, so its means a nice 55 more AIM... and like the other guy said: AIM apply damage to ALL your attacks, and give more crit chance..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going with AIM 3/3 for a week now.

I do see boost in my normal (non-crit) railshots and my DoTs.

Mind you, this build is only viable for those who have 1300 Aim flat (unbuffed).

Otherwise, stick to the 3% crit from the CGC buff.

The 9% aim is not enough for what you lose without the boosted critical perks.

3 perks that give a large 9+ crit rate to fire attacks.

Also that 60%+ armor peircing bonus is a lot too.

For example if something has 25% reduction from armor, without +60% AP you just have 30% . So that would be 17.5% reduction from armor. With 90% they only have a 2.5% reduction from armour.

Quite a large difference. You hit a lot hard with crits too.

Edited by The_Beastwood

Both. It's better to do both.

That's right, ignore Thermal det. It's a heat hog and its simply not as good as the 9% aim and 6% crit you get from an 8 6 27 spec. I am consistantly top dps in my nightmare raids and i recently did, wait for it, 745k single target dmg in a warzone. So yeah. Both.

I switch between this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMZMsMZfhMrzGhMc.1 and this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMZMsMMoZfhMrzGhM.1

I find with the second build I tend to overheat too quick as retractable blade costs 16 heat and when combined with incendiary missile your almost at full heat just from those two attacks leaving you with just enough heat to use flameburst then railshot then rocket punch, then you need to use your vent heat cooldown.