Which tree is best for kiting?

revcrisis

Per the title, I don't do well when enemies kite. I'm really only interested in open-world PVP and some PvE. I prefer to keep the enemy locked up as long as possible while i go through my rotations. Is there a tree which is easiest for me to keep them in front of me and do my damage and then worry about mobility later? From doing a lot of googling on this forum I would say the Rage tree would be the most suitable perhaps? Thank you in advance. Just hit level 48! Edited by revcrisis

Annihilation.

Loads of Fury and Predation gives you 80% increased speed. Also 12 second Force Charge (you can drop 1 point into Close Quarters which eliminates your deadzone).

All other suggested choices are wrong. Carnage? Because of 15% passive speed? Riiight, 80% Predation and 12 sec Force Charge > 15% increased speed.

And Rage isn't a real spec, it's just a redheaded step child.

Edited by Deviltreh

Good players know rage is a crap tree, however most do seem to think smash having more damage means everything has more damage...

Agreed. I had another whirl with rage whilst Kricys was tearing up at the eyes thinking hes godlike, turns out hes just one of those "pariahs"

**** this, annihilation took more skill than this ***** ;)

Edited by Kodokai

I think you've worded the title wrong, I think you mean best spec for breaking kiting.

Well against Assassins and other Marauders it's not really all that easy (camo -> predation and force cloak come to mind), the best you can do is try and predict them but with assassin you might as well give up and return to an ally/group so they don't try to drop you/follow you too much as they risk being exposed. Marauders only disappear for 4 seconds which is much easier to predict but if you start running in the wrong direction then you have no chance to catch them...

Most the classes have push backs, you have to save force charge for when after you get pushed back else you've given them the advantage. Instead use force camo to close the gap quickly, camo gives a movement speed increase which is handy for this type of thing and it means your target might think you're giving up and stop running... it's also the best way to get the drop on somebody.

sith sorcerer will use force speed to try and escape you, it gives them a 150% movement speed increase for 2 seconds, however predation gives a minimum 50% speed increase for 10 seconds, they get away from you but only for just over 5 seconds, don't force charge unless you fear them getting to their team or say capping the ball in huttball. since they will push you back when you get to them. The problem with predation naturally is it relies on fury, so if you don't have fury you'll most likely have to force charge, try to follow it up with Intimidating Roar. If they CC break intimidating roar then try to force choke them before they can push back, alternatively if they do not, force choke them a second before roar wears off and this will mean you have your force charge ready again should they push back.

there are several slow down and root effects what can also be used, the most obvious are crippling slash(slow) and force charge(root), other moves may gain slow down or root effects are:

- seeping wound on annihilation makes rupture cause slow down

- Displacement on carnage makes deadly throw cause root

- Overwhelm on carnage makes ravage cause root (tho only for the exact duration of the attack)

- Stagger on rage increases the duration of root caused by force charge

It is possible to spec all of these with a carnage main build but there are other helpful effects in the other trees that can not be speced.

- Ferocity in Annihilation increases the speed bonus of predation by +15% a level.

- Obliterate in rage, a smaller range, rage consuming force charge that if used right can close the gap and perhaps trick them into using a push back (which you then follow by force charge).

- Interceptor in rage gives a movement speed bonus after using Obliterate

- Gravity in rage decreases the rage cost of movement slowing attacks by 1.

Back to carnage there is defensive forms which gives different bonuses based on stance, notably for Ataru form it gives a movement speed increase and Ataru form itself is gained only by skilling up in the carnage tree. Lastly carnage also gets unbound which breaks movement impairing effects on yourself when you use force camo.

Carnage has the most potential abilities for holding an enemy still/locking them whereas rage probably has the biggest issues with kiting as smash is an AoE effect that can miss based on a players location/position. Even speccing like this however you can't stop them moving around a fair bit and as said above, marauders and assassins will still get away from you, potentially sith sorcerers too if they can use their abilities effectively enough.

Edited by nonumbers

All other suggested choices are wrong. Carnage? Because of 15% passive speed? Riiight, 80% Predation and 12 sec Force Charge > 15% increased speed.

Carnage has the same, if not better, control then Annihilation. Comparing predation is pointless, all snares are 50% run speed, so predation will nullify a snare completely either way, and if you keep your snare on the enemy, you never have to worry about moving slower. Carnage has a 15s force charge, and deadly throws' immobilize. If you're <10m range, you can use deadly throw, if >10m, then you use force charge. Simple, and just as effective.

Carnage has the same, if not better, control then Annihilation. Comparing predation is pointless, all snares are 50% run speed, so predation will nullify a snare completely either way, and if you keep your snare on the enemy, you never have to worry about moving slower. Carnage has a 15s force charge, and deadly throws' immobilize. If you're <10m range, you can use deadly throw, if >10m, then you use force charge. Simple, and just as effective.

Ah forgot about talent's for root effect. Touche.