The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

DPS spec tanking viability

Rophez

Greetings,

My first character is a level 50 Jedi Knight Guardian. I enjoy pvp as well as running HM flashpoints. On my guardian, I can keep a fairly high dps spec (vigilance) for pvp and still do fine tanking hard modes with my friends using soresu form.

My powertech is currently level 34 and I've been full shield tech build since day one. I like it, especially for pvp, but I'm starting to wish I had more burst dps in pvp. I'm thinking about switching to a pyro build.

My question is: Has anyone at end game been able to tank a HM in full pyro build by just turning on IGC and wearing tank gear?

Any advice for someone that likes pvp, but still wants to tank hard modes for his guild?

I've been rolling a 10/31 hybridized Immortal/Veng (tank/dps) spec on my juggernaut for a while now. Got a good set of tanking gear and a good set of DPS crit/surge gear that I've played with on the back and forth.

Tanking in DPS gear with this build while in Soresu = feels just like tanking with this build in the tank gear while in Soresu. I literally can't feel a difference between about 8% defense and 41% defense or the somewhat increased shield/absorp rates in the tank gear.

I've tanked hardmodes rather frequently in my DPS gear because I straight forgot to swap it out. Only time anyone noticed or cared was on the odd occasion someone would inspect me and go "dude really? Ur in dps gear"

And then I'm like "Yeah, and?"

And they're like "Get tank gear 2 tank gawd l2p"

Sad thing is, I have the tank gear. And it doesn't really matter. I can't pretend to know the numbers behind it, but I've been tanking pretty often on a jugg with a 10/31 build in full DPS gear and doing so as well as a jugg can tank anything.

Maybe better than most for having the entirely viable option of relying on significant DPS aggro along with all else. Sure feels like a smoother tanking job than going full Immortal ever even came close to doing.

So, this is just my mileage on a jugg. The healer I usually roll with for hardmodes has given me lots of feedback for my repeated nagging about difference. Likes it better with me in the 10/31 build 'cause I can actually do something consistently about all the mad heal aggro he generates.

Doesn't seem to notice any real difference in how much healing I need between the tank and DPS gear though. If there is a difference, I can't feel it, he isn't seeing it and if nobody ever inspected me, I don't think anybody'd ever even be the wiser.

Edited by Uruare