The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

new tank question, absorption vs. defense

mmoguy

I just starting to tank more and was wondering if I should be picking gear with more absorption or defense? I assume since I'm putting more points into shield tech that absorption would be the way to go but not sure. Any advise would be great.

I would actually go towards stacking Accuracy first. I know the question is between defense and absorption, but it all depends on the available mods you have.

Basically tanking mods are:

Accuracy + Absorption

Accuracy + Defense

Shield + Absorption

Getting maximum accuracy will require quite a few of your items to have accuracy on them. I would focus slightly more on getting absorption with the accuracy as it is slightly better stat per point than defense. The strength of the absorption depends somewhat on how much shield rating you have, so I would suggest trying to have about 120-180 shield rating. You should be able to gain this without really gearing for it at all.

I am currently standing at 182 Defense Rating, 195 Shield Rating and 252 Absorption Rating. Mitigation spreadsheet still gives absorption slightly higher value than defense. However, the difference is so small that they are basically equal.

Accuracy really isnt all that important for us. Rail shot, unload, and rapid shots are the only abilities we have which are subject to defense rolls, and only rail shot makes up a notable part of our threat generation. All of our other attacks (except maybe rocket punch, not sure on that one) bypass defense rolls and are only subject to internal or elemental damage resistances.