The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

5/5/30 PvP Pyro Spec

Breckin_Fett

If I elaborate, can you?

In other words, did they fix it so that it's more than just Explosive Dart without the AoE?

Battlemaster PT here (not to show off but to say I've been pvping for a while)

Explosive dart does not benefit from the talent "firebug"

Get thermal detonator. It is worth it. Why? Pop your surge crit trinket or adrenal with your Crit CD (whatever it is called) (expertise potion if you got nothing else to spend commendations on).

Time the explosion of your Thermal Detonator with a railshot. Even against a 500 expertise guy, it can at the minimum crit for 2.7k (Detonator) + ~3.2 (railshot) at the same time on someone with heavy armor. If it is a sorc it utterly decimates them at 4k+ each one.

Absolutely un-healable if both crit (which is pretty damn good chance)

Just follow up with some fire bursts. The extra points in helping fire damage will go a long way. Also remember that every time you cast fire burst it reapplies your CGC. This means you auto proc the first tick on CGC for quite a bit of additional damage ( i am sure the tooltip on CGC is incorrect, it does far more damage than it says).

My talent spec is

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hzZMsZfIMbkhGMs.1

I keep Energy Rebounder to use Energy Shield every chance i get. It keeps me alive :)

I roll with power/surge in every piece of eliminator gear. It takes some time to get the extra lvl 56 mods/enhancements to swap out the retarted accuracy in the eliminators set but its worth it. I am starting to swap them to crit/surge as i gather more columni gear (gloves for example).

Edited by plantran

It is effectively a single target explosive dart. But it hits considerably harder. TD does a little over 1/3'rd more damage than explosive dart. If that extra bit of burst is insignificant to you then skip the skill. If you find yourself needing that extra thousand or so damage that TD would have supplied to land you kills, then you should probably talent it.

The general use that people put thermal detonator to is to time the explosion with the landing of another hard hitting ability. In my fresh 50 god awful gear, a double crit will usually net me around 5-6k burst damage. Using explosive dart instead of thermal nets me around 3.5-4k burst.

Why I like Thermal Detonator. (And no, this isn't the norm but it happened on an undergeared player the other day and provided many personal lulz) (using trinkets)

Threw Incendiary Missle at him for dot.

Threw Thermal Detonator.

Rail Shot then Rocket punched right when TD when off.

3.9K TD Crit, 5.2K Railshot Crit (i rarely break 5k so why I said he was undergeared), with a 3K Rocket Punch.

Oh and by pure luck my Rail shot reset on the rocket punch so I threw another crit at him.

Doesn't happen often getting that many crits in a row but it makes it worth it 100%. Since you know they are on the other end of their screen just wondering *** just happened.