Need a Desktop that can run SWTOR decently

EclipseUn

i paid upwards of 1000$ for my gpu alone.. :S

You should aim to save up a little more money and going for something decent (560TI, 6gb ram, i7) Its what i would have done, its better to pay a little bit more for something that will last a helluva lot longer :)

Edited by CriticalAtheist
edit: bit uncontructive.

I have a $500 limit, can anyone link me to a decent desktop PC that can I can buy online from like amazon?

thanks..

for about 650$ you can build something that will run Crysis 2 (that should be enough to run SWTOR in the medium/high settings range)

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/how-to-build-a-kick-***-crysis-2-pc-for-under-600

I hope it helps you.

Built my sister a computer a year ago that cost her a total of $580 after rebates. Couldn't do anything like that now because hard drive prices are outrageous because of the whole Thailand ordeal. Her rig could actually run this game on fairly high specs and run great. Moral of the story, build it up is the way to go. A $500 HP or something will be absolute trash.

Heres mine costed me bout $600-$700

Intel i5 2500K 3.3 ghz.

EVGA Geforce 460GTX 1.0GB GDDR5

8GB PC1333 Corsair

500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache x 2

MSI MS-7673 Motherboard LGA 1155 CPU

650W Antec Green PSU

Cheap case that hold ATX motherboard with fan outlets

Antec Kuhler h20 CPU water cooler

I would recommend getting an SSD and a normal hardrive

i paid upwards of 1000$ for my gpu alone.. :S

You clearly overpaid for something that's going to be less efficient/successful in the long term than a 2nd/3rd generation GPU.

for about 350$ you can get a GTX570 ... ok it might not be "better" than what you've got but I can guaranty you it'll run smoother, cooler & be more quiet.

1rst generation GPUs are gfx card are a pain... ok they're "hot" ... they're brand new but like any other 1rst generation item, they are bugged and coming out with flaws.

I'd rather pay less for something older but efficient than overpay for something "cool" & new and realize I've wasted a few hundred bucks on something that wasn't worth it at all in the long term.

Oh and btw, my PC cost me a total of 1200$ so far

(that doesn't include a brand new PSU for SLI & the 2 GTX570 I'm planning to buy.)

Edited by NinjaScroll

I have a $500 limit, can anyone link me to a decent desktop PC that can I can buy online from like amazon?

thanks..

HP's are around $500 but they arent good enough. (My opinion) not Easy to Find a Good Needle in a Haystack to be honest. if you are able to spend a like $100 more then it would be a bit easier.

If you are going to a PC that runs SWTOR, its better to make sure that you have at least 4

GB Ram and an 'Average to Good' GPU, and processor.

Try Ebay?:eek:

Edited by Sakushi

Try and get some 2nd hand components from the 'bay/cragislist/a computer forum like hexus or something.

$500 should easily buy you i5 750/760, P55 mobo, 4gb Ram, GTX460/5850 and PSU which will run the game and many others (excluding BF3) on high.

If you have to buy new, and can't stretch any further, something like this is a good start for a budget rig.

If you need to go cheaper (to take in account extras) try these - AMD / Intel.

It is worth spending the extra if you can get your hands on it, but if you can't...

Edited by Ljays

http://www.gamersnexus.net/pc-builds/46-pcbuildupg/673-swtor-sith-budget-gaming-pc-build

Admittedly, it doesn't come with an OS, a monitor, a mouse or keyboard, or speakers. But, if you can find a way to get all of that cheaply, it's a good, cheap build.

It's what I got. Just built it yesterday. Used my old monitor with built in speakers (will be getting some separate ones sometime) and the old DVD-ROM drive. Bought the OS with it, had to go with a more expensive HD because my local Fry's didn't have the one they suggest. Also had to upgrade the processor to a 455 because newegg was out of the 450.

For me, I spent $650.01, and theres like $80 in rebates. Based off the benchmarks Tom's Hardware ran on beta, the graphics card is more than good enough to run the game on high details. And, as with other mmo's, you only need a decent processor. It's all bout the memory and the video card.

Both newegg and tiger have some DIY kits that as barebones are not shabby, not great but not to shabby.

I came into a windfall and am just waiting to see how the new year pans out if I will upgrade my aging beast.

I built this thing from the ground up to last 3-5 years and if anything can salvage the HDD and psu to save a hair amount of money... Or I can upgrade the os and network it.

As it was built.

Q6600 oced to 3.0 mghz

evga 780i

ocz sli ram 4ghz

samsung 750 gig hd 7500 rpm 64 meg cache

gtx 9800

Thermaltake toughpower 850.w.

Win vista 64.

Over the last year my 9800 went out and my ram was not enough.

So the set up is the same but rocking a gtx 460 and now 8gig of some ok gskill ddr2 with a slight OC.

Considering building an i5 2500

asus z68 mobo

at least 16 gig of ram

and another 460 for sli.

optional ssd for win 7.