Diffrence between sorc and assassin?

Jarayn

So I got my sorc to 50 (heal specced) and having a blast playing him. Now onto my question, I am thinking of starting a new alt assassin however I am worried they are to similiar? Not to worried about quest . More worried over the abbilities if they are to similiar. Any thoughts?

Was also contemplating playing a marauder but they seem abit weak at the moment and it seems that to have fun it feels like you are very dependant on a healer. Thoughts?

Input is much appreciated!

So I got my sorc to 50 (heal specced) and having a blast playing him. Now onto my question, I am thinking of starting a new alt assassin however I am worried they are to similiar? Not to worried about quest . More worried over the abbilities if they are to similiar. Any thoughts?

Was also contemplating playing a marauder but they seem abit weak at the moment and it seems that to have fun it feels like you are very dependant on a healer. Thoughts?

Input is much appreciated!

Apples and oranges. I don't know why you are worrying. It's pretty much 2 different classes when compared side by side. Madness is the only spec that even remotely plays like a sorc and that's a stretch. Deception and darkness are nowhere near sorc gameplay.

Yeah, the difference between Assassin and Sorcerer is probably the largest difference between advanced classes of anything in the game, as far as abilities and playstyles go. Not talking about specific skill trees, just in general playstyle.

As far as being dependant on a healer.... well, it is pretty much the same thing as Marauder here, unless you go tank spec. Most people have said that as an Assassin, going through the story is much harder solo than Sorc.

As for the Marauder vs Assassin, I have been about halfway through Marauder (on Nar Shadda) and lvl 50 Deception Assassin.... I find Marauder to be easier for normal content. Not only is Vette's dps friggin retarded, Marauder can take quite a few more hits when focused on (in PvE) and I am actually having more fun with it than I did while leveling Assassin. Both require a lot of skill management to maximize dps, and I would say as for endgame PvE and PvP they are about even. (Highly dependant on player skill of course, Sin probably takes a higher level to play as effectively)

Of course as an Assassin, you have the option to tank, while Marauder is purely dps.

Edited by Midnight_Malice

Short version:

Sorcerer spells, CC and everything else has a 30m range.

Assassin spells, CC and everything else has a 10m range.

That is all. :D

Seriously though, all else aside, one being possibly tank and one being possibly healer, the above is the MAIN distinction.

The main difference, actually, is that sorcerers are good and assassins aren't.

DPS: Sorcerer prevails. Why? Because they are ranged and don't have to constantly move around when the boss does AoE/knockbacks, or when it switches targets or moves around in general so they can backstab.

AoE: Sorcerer prevails. Why? Because they have really good AoE abilities like force storm when all the assassin has is lacerate, which even when you put talent points into improving it is utter garbage.

Utility / CC: Sorcerer prevails. Why? Sorcerer has fun things like force grip, in addition to a CC ability that works in combat against anything, whereas the assassin has a similar one except it doesn't work against droids, and doesn't work in combat.

I really wouldn't bother rolling an assassin; you've already got the best class in the game at 50.

DPS: Sorcerer prevails. Why? Because they are ranged and don't have to constantly move around when the boss does AoE/knockbacks, or when it switches targets or moves around in general so they can backstab.

In PVE? Yes, absolutely.

In PvP? It depends. Against anyone with half-decent interrupts, I would rather play a Sin than a Sorc. Ever try fighting a Mara or a PT with their 6 second CD interrupt? Yeah, it's not great.

AoE: Sorcerer prevails. Why? Because they have really good AoE abilities like force storm when all the assassin has is lacerate, which even when you put talent points into improving it is utter garbage.

Definitely true, no arguments here.

Utility / CC: Sorcerer prevails. Why? Sorcerer has fun things like force grip, in addition to a CC ability that works in combat against anything, whereas the assassin has a similar one except it doesn't work against droids, and doesn't work in combat.

PvE? Yes. Most certainly.

PvP? Debatable. The Sin version of Whirlwind lasts 8 seconds, vs Sorc 1 min. So in PvE it's obviously better to be a Sorc. But in PvP, both are 8 sec. The Sin CC that works from stealth and out of combat is handy as well to keep people from capping in PvP. So as a Sin you have a choice of 2 CCs with 8 sec duration, where a Sorc only gets one.

Then, Sin gets Spike, which with Darkness spec can be used out of stealth. Real handy. And where Sorc has a pull that works only on friendlies, a Sin has a pull that works on enemies, again as Darkness spec, I think those two pretty much cancel out.

I really wouldn't bother rolling an assassin; you've already got the best class in the game at 50.

Until the nerf. Which, based on the amount of whining on the forums, is coming soon.

Well yeah, I'd rather eat mud than play PVP in an MMO and I think it only ever serves to cause issues for PVE, so assassin might well be good in PVP for all I know, though from my limited experience ranged seems to dominate there as well. As for the CC, I think sorcerers can use it instantly whereas it has a cast time for assassins, so even in PVP an assassin has a disadvantage there.

I hope you're right about the nerf. Though to be honest I'd prefer they just buff other classes.

Edited by Lgrayman

As for the CC, I think sorcerers can use it instantly whereas it has a cast time for assassins, so even in PVP an assassin has a disadvantage there.

Actually it's 2 seconds for both. There's a talent in Madness tree, which both have, that makes it instant. A Sorcerer is just much more likely to take the talent since Madness tree is much more useful for them. Though a hybrid darkness/madness Sin can have it too.

I hope you're right about the nerf. Though to be honest I'd prefer they just buff other classes.

Oh, I could be wrong. But right now, Sorcerers are just too damn easy to play and do very well with. No thought or skill required. Also the only class that requires absolutely zero resource management. You start with 500-600 force, and with half-decent spec doing things like casting lightning actually regenerates it faster.

Unless they want to keep Sorcerers as a total nooblet class that even a complete moron can pick up and do well with, I don't see how they can leave them the way they are.

And based on how heavy-handedly they slapped down Operatives on the test server, my money is on a big, fat nerf. And it ain't gonna be pretty. I just hope they confine it to Sorcerers and don't nerf the everlasting peepee out of Sins in the process.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.