The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT tank Q's

naphalem

I'm new to powertech tank and i have a few questions. First off is there a "rotation" to speak of or is it a priority based thing. Second While in the leveling process when is it a good time to get defense rating, absorb, etc. Next is Armormech worth it for us or no. Lastly i'm leveling with a friend and he is a Opp healer would it be better to level full tank or this "Carolina Parakeet" build or any build in the middle. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I can only offer my input on the Armormech subject. Though it can be useful, providing you with Artifact quality equipment from the start (should you put time into reverse engineering), I hear that leveling a crafting profession while leveling is detrimental to your wallet. My strategy is to take any three between Slicing, Scavenging, Archaeology or Bioanalysis. That way you can gather materials to sell via the GTN while leveling. Then when you hit 50, or even if you choose to level it sooner, you'll have multiple companions possibly with heightened affection levels to level your professions for you.

For crew skills, biochem currently is still the way to go. While Cybertech is nice, it won't provide that much of an advantage over green and blue standard gear, and it's everlasting stims can make up much of the difference, while it will also provide you with reusable medpacks which are basically your single best defensive cooldown for most of your career.

Concerning the build, I'd advise you not go for a hybrid build like parakeet from the start because it really only shines if you get some of the mid tier talents of both trees, which will be weaker then just sticking to one till about mid to late game. Personally I liked pyrotech the most, you will still be able to tank for the most part if you just switch stances and you will tear up stuff A LOT quicker.

Make sure to get to a fully skilled out prototype particle accelerator as fast as possible if you go pyro, as it is the defining talent of the tree, you could maybe start to go hybrid some time after you get that.

edit: just saw you mentioned armormech, my bad. Currently, armormech is really terrible in comparison it's basically armormech<cybertech<biochem, so what I wrote up there still holds I guess.

Edited by Korevas