The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Love Star Wars…Love Bioware…Love MMO’s…not sure I love SW+BIO+MMO

Zodiacrat

I am sorely disappointed with the people that is sorely disappointed

they never come up with anything intresting to say more or less is a copy of what they read in any other MMO

after the sorely disappointment we all had in WOW all the new disappointment "walls of text" are pretty much a copycat

This one has no immage no hyperlink when nowday if you write a sorely disappointed wall of text it's a must to add some image are we in 2004???????...

honestly i see no spoiler tag used either. A spoiler here a spoiler there help to keep the attention span on track... we lack the basic here and don't come with the excuse "WOW disappointness had 7 years to build up..."

you may have had only 1 month but it's 2012 we exepct only thing better then what we had before.

Lets face it... this is the end of the world as we know it.

Edited by Pekish

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorely disappointed in this game and BW has chosen to ignore all feedback.

I'm done on the 1st.

I'm just pissed I gave them another month. Its almost like I was shaking their hands saying "good job" when in reality it was far from that.

First game after wow and eq 1 i realy like so far sure it has some problems like the world feels bit lifeless but if they realy plan to focus on this game and provide fast and regular updates i think it can grow to a awesome mmorpg.

You sound like that guy in dirty rags on the street corner prediciting the fall of mankind. He thinks he can predict the future too.

TBF you sound like the Iraqi information minister saying there are no enemy forces within 100 miles........ with two US tanks clearly visable over his shoulder in the background.

SWTOR is a nice game, but perfect it is not.

If they don't fix/change a lot of things in the first 6 months they'll have lost their window of oppertunity.

Unfortunately I've seen how slow BW goes with MMOs as they've ran WAR for the last 20 months, if they go that slow SWTOR will end up being a very niche MMO, possibly without any expansions al la WAR. :(

FIFY. It's fine if you want a sandboxy mmo, but don't try to pretend that the majority does. (Sandbox mmos have historically drawn far fewer subs than themeparks.)

Historically only WoW stands out in any Western MMO.

The others are all much of a muchness.

And you believe you are? :D

I've seen many MMOs come and go, most of what is being complained about in SWTOR has a crux of truth to it.

Ignoring that or pretending it isn't the case won't work, the only thing that will work is addressing the issues ASAP.

Otherwise just like WAR within 3 years SWTOR will be down to 2 servers, I don't want to see another MMO with so much potential go that way.

I don't believe that at all and i could care less what people on a forum think of what i say. Oh no random player #345345 that lives in his moms basement disagree .....what will i do.

I think your comparison is silly I quit WAR for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with the reasons some people like to state WAR failed. Star WArs is a much bigger IP than WAR. WAR was an awful game.

I saw very few new MMO players in WAR, i see new MMO players all over the place in this game, including wives of some of my guildmates who've never considered playing an MMO before.

Unlike WAR, Star Wars has an entirely different base of customers they can and are going after that will enjoy this game. Simply saying they are both MMO's so they will suffer the same fate because of X feature is a dishonest argument IMO.

TBF you sound like the Iraqi information minister saying there are no enemy forces within 100 miles........ with two US tanks clearly visable over his shoulder in the background.

R. :(

Yah because predicting the future is just such an intellectually honest thing to do. Really people aren't being fools when they do this. go try it on the street corner and let me know how that works out for you.

Oh wait i know, the forums are the majority right? anyways.........

Edited by TheHeadCapper

The game is a rigid, steel cage of a theme park, and that's not the direction the genre is headed. People want dynamic, fluid content -- they want their experiences to be different, or at least contain the possibility for difference every time they log on.

Nobody was looking for another game where the endgame was composed of battlegrounds, dailies at the cap, and raiding. We already had that game.

Nobody was looking for yet another bland, trinity-based, loot-dependent system, where nothing; not world PvP; not player customization; not anything personal mattered. We already had that game.

WoW is a fine product, but the people who want to play it are still doing so. Shamelessly copying it for most of your mechanics is not the path to future riches in the MMO genre. Get off this friggin' cloning bent, please.

This is why the game is not meeting our standards. BW hyped it, and then this is what they delivered, and not a good delivery. The thing is: IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO CHANGE!!!

One day, I hope...someone has the brass to make a sandbox game that gives us huge seemless worlds that are not just little boxes all connected. And no, not Eve: that game is old now plus I don't identify with being a ship. More like pre-cu SWG but with a better combat system and more toys in the sandbox for the users to make their own content. Yes there should be some themepark elements like instances and group content but not the entire focus.

But anyways, have to agree with the OP. Especially the last point he made about the basic core design that revolves around VO/cutscense. It will take a lot of time and money to add any content to this game with 8 story arcs. All we will see is them adding FPs, Ops, and WZs, albiet at a very slow rate.

Also, I am not happy with the testing in this game at all. Their in house team is bad (Ilum!) and the TC does not allow for character uploads so we can really test their content for them instead of patching and then having to panick hotfix all the exploits afterwards. Plus they don't even listen to the public testers anyways, so it's just an endless circle of frustration.

edit. this game reminds me of AoC so very much, that game had the exact same world design as this one: lots of loading, mutiple instances since engine can't handle mass amounts of players, and nothing but lots of little boxes all connected. Only thing BW has over Funcom is they don't promise things and fail to deliver: they don't say anything at all.

Edited by fixit

I don't believe that at all and i could care less what people on a forum think of what i say. Oh no random player #345345 that lives in his moms basement disagree .....what will i do.

I think your comparison is silly I quit WAR for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with the reasons some people like to state WAR failed. Star WArs is a much bigger IP than WAR. WAR was an awful game.

I saw very few new MMO players in WAR, i see new MMO players all over the place in this game, including wives of some of my guildmates who've never considered playing an MMO before.

Unlike WAR, Star Wars has an entirely different base of customers they can and are going after that will enjoy this game. Simply saying they are both MMO's so they will suffer the same fate because of X feature is a dishonest argument IMO.

Again I think you mean you couldn't care less, or your sentance makes no sense.

IP doesn't make a game, the game makes a game. If they don't fix the issues ther are with SWTOR people won't hang around just because its SW (they didn't for SWG after all so why should they for SWTOR?).

I should have known, wow fanboi why have i bothered responding.

I quit WoW after BC, and I nearly didn't play it at all after playing the beta and thinking it wasn't all that good to start with.

WoW is a very mediocre MMO, it is however the ONLY successful MMO by the criteria that other poster was using.

Not being a fanboy allows you to see the big picture, you should try it. ;)

IP doesn't make a game, the game makes a game. If they don't fix the issues ther are with SWTOR people won't hang around just because its SW (they didn't for SWG after all so why should they for SWTOR?).

You are correct and my opinion differs from yours because i think this is a great game. I don't subscribe to any other MMO's or want to in any way shape or form because i find them all bland except SWTOR.

Lol always funny seeing so many people defend this game like it's the end all be all. As for you OP, very well said. I think you hit the nail on the head in words I was looking for to express why this game has been sort of a letdown.

Still got some time to kill before Diablo 3 I guess, no reason to not finish the storyline at least. It's too bad you can't group up for nothing on my server unless you like waiting for hours, but its ok fanboys will tell ya you're delusional and the game's population is not dropping and everything is fine and dandy.

You are correct and my opinion differs from yours because i think this is a great game. I don't subscribe to any other MMO's or want to in any way shape or form because i find them all bland except SWTOR.

Did you stay with SWG for it's full run?

SWTOR is a decent game, but it has serious flaws.

I'm certainly going to give it a few months, but I can't see myself (or anyone) playing it for years, unless they seriously address some issues (and in a much faster time scale than BW ever did when running WAR).

Sadly I have to say the OP intelligently nailed my point of view about the whole thing. I'm still playing my alt and have fun getting new gear and running FPs over and over to complete new sets of gear. But I don't bother with most of the game anymore.

i think this game is "too little, too late"

they spent so much money and time and the result isn't something that will bring in the amount of people I'm sure they were looking for.

now that the game has been released early, the team now has to frantically add content, fix serious bugs, add very basic features that have come to be expected in any mmo, etc etc.

its like they have more on their plate now than when in close beta.

Did you stay with SWG for it's full run?

SWTOR is a decent game, but it has serious flaws.

I'm certainly going to give it a few months, but I can't see myself (or anyone) playing it for years, unless they seriously address some issues (and in a much faster time scale than BW ever did when running WAR).

NO i quit SWG after a few months. I loved the end game, hated the limit on character slots , the mission terminals for levlling and the feel of the worlds.

This is an entirely different team than WAR and from what i've seen they seem to be putting out a lot of fixes quickly so i'm pretty happy so far.

Kind of a strange remark that you can't see anyone playing it for years, yah we all have different tastes, i know lots of people that are here for the long haul.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

NO i quit SWG after a few months. I loved the end game, hated the limit on character slots , the mission terminals for levlling and the feel of the worlds.

This is an entirely different team than WAR and from what i've seen they seem to be putting out a lot of fixes quickly so i'm pretty happy so far.

Kind of a strange remark that you can't see anyone playing it for years, yah we all have different tastes, i know lots of people that are here for the long haul.

Which is what I'm saying if the game isn't all there they IP doesn't matter much.

It has much of the Mythic team from WAR in it, which makes is bizarre that PvP is so bad in SWTOR, and RvR especially.

Any MMO needs a hook to keep people going, SWTOR simply doesn't have one at the moment, it's great first time through to L50, but after that it really starts to wear down quickly.

This brings an interesting problem to future content because of the current design. Because it takes so much money and time to populate a planet with voice acting and cut-scenes, it’s going to take an extremely long time to add new content; and I don’t mean a new flashpoint or pvp arena, I’m talking entire planets or anything of that magnitude.

Now because your characters story basically ends at 50, in order to keep sending you on more missions to exceed the 50 level limit (talking future here), you need to create entire new story lines for 8 classes simultaneously.

I believe real content is going to come very slowly. Unfortunately for many players, it will be too slow for them to wait around and they’ll quickly become bored.

I'm not going to touch on the rest of your post -- it's your opinion, which you present calmly and in a clear manner, and thus you are certainly entitled to it. But the above, which I hear over and over again, is not a concern.

Bioware has stated in multiple interviews they have content planned out as far as 2013. Given how hard it is to retain voice talent, I very strongly suspect they didn't spend all that money on VO for EXISTING content so much as spent a good chunk of it on FUTURE content as well.

Given that Bioware is focusing on the story, it would be both nonsensicle and out of character for them to create a dearth of story features in updates. I suspect instead what we will get is quite a few updates and probably a raise in level cap with a Chapter 4 , fully voiced. Maybe a Chapter 5.

Unfortunately, I think this focus on a great story distracts from other needed improvements, some of which you mentioned.

I am a big fan of the game. Everything in the post is a regurgitation of the things we all have taken note of. One can hope BioWare brings us in the direction we hope to go in. Right now I just enjoy the game as it is and look forward to seeing its evolution. If it ever gets too stale I will simply do something else. Right now its still the great, fun game I expected.

Still got some time to kill before Diablo 3 I guess,

Can't wait for D3: still play D2 LoD to this day occasionally...a 10+ year old game too boot. Yea it's a hackfest now but the core gameplay is just too good and hopefully they will be more on the ball addressin botters/cheaters this time around.

But I digress, at this point, I feel....burnt out from the whole MMO thing, been playing them almost exclusively for 10+ years and it's always the same thing: WoW rip offs or games that try to be different then fail. While I enjoy TOR, I can't forsee playing this for 7 years like that other game. The basic core design is the problem and that will never change.

Which is what I'm saying if the game isn't all there they IP doesn't matter much.

It has much of the Mythic team from WAR in it, which makes is bizarre that PvP is so bad in SWTOR, and RvR especially.

Any MMO needs a hook to keep people going, SWTOR simply doesn't have one at the moment, it's great first time through to L50, but after that it really starts to wear down quickly.

I still don't think it's a valid comparison. The theme park MMO brings in a lot more players than sandbox MMO's by a long shot. SWG was nowhere near as polished or as interesting as this game.

Your opinion is that it doesn't have a hook, but that's just not true for everyone, only you and some people that will agree with you. For me i actually care about my character for the first time in any MMO ever.

I've been able to make choices whether it's to kill someone, spare them or take their money and kill the initial quest giver these are far above 'click accept for a quest'.

The hook for me and the people i know that are playing is that there is a story, we feel like our character actually has a personality. there are epic moments like the JAX moment that are truly memorable and i'll remember 10 years down the road. This is what makes a great game for me. These types of things are not present in any other MMO's IMO.

At 50 i'm still enjoying doing flashpoints and pvp so i also am fine with the end game.

Saying there is no hook, screams of someone who hasn't been able to comprehend what people that enjoy the game are saying about it. it doesn't mean you enjoy the same things, but ignoring it is dishonest.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

I feel the main story arc and possibly the heroic missions (flashpoints included) should have had the full production value of cut-scenes and voice over, but not the standard missions that basically have you kill “x” amount of creatures, push “x” amount of buttons, etc..

You know...every RPG, including single player RPGs and most action oriented games for that matter, follow the same mold of "kill x creatures for y item". Even Pen and Paper RPGs follow this exact same motif. The "trick" is to disguise that this is what you are doing and I think TOR does this well. This is the first time I have played an MMO where I didn't feel like all I was doing was mindlessly killing the same mobs over and over again just to retrieve an item. Having a story with interactive conversations helps to lessen the tedious nature of the level grinding (which ALL RPGs have, not just MMOs).

As I have always said, TOR's longevity will rest on how often and to what extent BW will update the game with new end-game content. I think the 1.1 patch was a step in the right direction and the fact that they released it within the first month of release shows that BW is committed to improving the game. And the 1.2 patch looks like it will add even more positive changes.

I think the vote is still out. We need to wait at least 6 months and then re-evaluate the game at that point.

Edited by otakuon

I still don't think it's a valid comparison. The theme park MMO brings in a lot more players than sandbox MMO's by a long shot. SWG was nowhere near as polished or as interesting as this game.

Your opinion is that it doesn't have a hook, but that's just not true for everyone, only you and some people that will agree with you. For me i actually care about my character for the first time in any MMO ever.

I've been able to make choices whether it's to kill someone, spare them or take their money and kill the initial quest giver these are far above 'click accept for a quest'.

The hook for me and the people i know that are playing is that there is a story, we feel like our character actually has a personality. there are epic moments like the JAX moment that are truly memorable and i'll remember 10 years down the road. This is what makes a great game for me. These types of things are not present in any other MMO's.

At 50 i'm still enjoying doing flashpoints and pvp so i also am fine with the end game.

Saying there is no hook, screams of someone who hasn't been able to comprehend what people that enjoy the game are saying about it. it doesn't mean you enjoy the same things, but ignoring it is dishonest.

They problably do, however they probably also lose them faster too.

I enjoy what they've done well, but the current PvP and PvE at L50? It's terrible. Rift had more options and more polish and it didn't help it (which is where SWTOR is heading, Rift-esq levels of success/failure depending on your point of view).

They need to expand what you can do and what you want to do, story is great but you simply cannot produce story at the rate nessicary to keep people playing, there has to be other things.