Please help me with my Guardian.

Phryke

Hi, i rolled a Guardian thinking i would be able to dps and tank. I'm only level 36 so I'm not sure if it is just a level thing. But my damage really sucks, I've tried both specs. Still no dmg. Tried the tank spec. Die just the same.

My friend is a vanguard and when he goes dmg he out dps's me by a lot.

If he goes tank he never dies.

Overall just not having fun with this character. Can someone help? am i just suppose to cap things, like put bombs on the doors?

I have to ask the obvious: Are you geared up properly? Even with gear 3-ish levels below you, you will have a hard time. Is your companion geared up as well? Have you trained every thing you have in both your Guardian and Knight tabs at the trainer and utilized all of your skill points? Are you using your interrupts and CC abilities to their fullest? Things like that are the biggest drags if you think you are under-performing. Aside from that, things like your typical rotation for tanking/DPS-ing would be helpful to know as well.

I will say from experience (level 27 currently) that I only usually ever die when some random pather comes my way or I over-pull. Missing an interrupt can be huge as well.

I have to ask the obvious: Are you geared up properly? Even with gear 3-ish levels below you, you will have a hard time. Is your companion geared up as well? Have you trained every thing you have in both your Guardian and Knight tabs at the trainer and utilized all of your skill points? Are you using your interrupts and CC abilities to their fullest? Things like that are the biggest drags if you think you are under-performing. Aside from that, things like your typical rotation for tanking/DPS-ing would be helpful to know as well.

I will say from experience (level 27 currently) that I only usually ever die when some random pather comes my way or I over-pull. Missing an interrupt can be huge as well.

Well for damage i was gearing up properly, but now i have switched. I was gearing for strength and power.

Yes i have trained everything.

As far as rotation

I normally for tanking use sundering strike a lot, use riposte when it's active. Ill use hilt strike to master strike. use force sweep if there's more than 1 mob, use blade storm on cd.

Dps is pretty much the same except i use overhead slash in combo with blade storm.

If you are having issues on a planet I would suggest doing a few Warzones to level. That way you are a little ahead of the curve.

I am only level 28 but I have yet to finish a quest on Tat. I just queue for a Warzone and then start questing and play every WZ that pops. I was level 26 before I set foot on Tat.

It makes things a lot easier.

I would need to see your talent tree and gear, Now for the the tricky part as a tank your job is NOT to dps but keep the mobs or bosses attention. I would not worry about dps that is not your job as a tank. In regard to friend ask them for advice :D

edit: one more thing if you dont like a certain class or spec , try something else. smugglers are super fun, as well as my favorite a jedi consular. If guild insist you play a certain class I would leave straight away, I don't care for the pressure or grief.

Edited by eldisper

Just died to 2 strong mobs. Doc didn't heal me one time. Sundering strike crit them for 400.

Few things could be going wrong. Is he in medic mode? Does he have Los to you?

The only time doc doesn't heal me is if he can't see me, or he's being attacked by mobs that bind or stun him.

I would need to see your talent tree and gear, Now for the the tricky part as a tank your job is NOT to dps but keep the mobs or bosses attention. I would not worry about dps that is not your job as a tank. In regard to friend ask them for advice :D

edit: one more thing if you dont like a certain class or spec , try something else. smugglers are super fun, as well as my favorite a jedi consular. If guild insist you play a certain class I would leave straight away, I don't care for the pressure or grief.

I just feel like whatever spec i am. It's mediocore

From everything I have read on these boards, seen in game and played myself the jedi and sw counterparts ARE medicore.

Sure I can make it work but I have to play 10x harder than when I'm on my commando. The smart thing to do would be to bench the guardian until they fix their survivability issues.

yeah like its so bad i can barely quest. im in hoth right now and I'm 3 quests in. I've died about 5 times. Just because i can't put out enough dps for something to die. By the time i killed it mobs have already re spawned.

You mentioned Overhead Slash, so you appear to be tanking in a Vigilance or hybrid spec, plus you seem to be lacking Defense, Shield, and Absorption based on what you mentioned earlier. There is a quite a debate regarding whether a hybrid or pure defense build is better, and I don't have the answer to that. What I will say is that, if you are trying to be a traditional, WoW-type tank in a non-tank spec with non-tank gear, you will feel squishy.

Tanking in this game is all about minimizing incoming damage. That means killing the weakest mobs first and using your interrupts and stuns. Two strongs can put you in a world of hurt, because it is tough to manage both. On the other hand, full defense spec, I can handle two elites with Doc healing (around level 41).

Some tips:

You can use Ctrl+1 to have your companion attack a mob, while you attack a second one. If I have a strong+a normal, I send Kira after the normal, and I take down the strong.

Use Hilt Strike>Pommel Strike to do a ton of damage and lock down an enemy for a few seconds. On normals, you can also do Bladestorm>Pommel Strike.

Use Force Stasis to lock enemies down, especially if you have the defense talent where it is no longer channeled.

Use Force Push>Force Leap for even more control.

If you are in full Defense spec, here is how you can handle your two strong scenario (assuming all cooldowns are available). Have Doc or Kira attack one of the mobs. You attack the other as follows: Saber Throw>Force Leap>Hilt Strike>Pommel Strike>Force Stasis>Master Strike>Force Push>Force Leap. That should finish off the first mob, or awfully close. You should also be close to full focus. Taunt the other mob before it kills Doc, then start in on it. You should have almost full health when you start the second bad guy.

I quit worrying about being the best a "long time ago in a galaxy far far away ..."

I am going to let you in on a little secret most of us including me are mediocore :D Just have fun or if you want to stirve to be the best at whatever toon class you choose do it with all your heart as for The Lord. That also means if you are doing your best , for example my left hand is severly injured, I still research and experiment on my toon, I hope that brings you some comfort.

Very good advice

You mentioned Overhead Slash, so you appear to be tanking in a Vigilance or hybrid spec, plus you seem to be lacking Defense, Shield, and Absorption based on what you mentioned earlier. There is a quite a debate regarding whether a hybrid or pure defense build is better, and I don't have the answer to that. What I will say is that, if you are trying to be a traditional, WoW-type tank in a non-tank spec with non-tank gear, you will feel squishy.

Tanking in this game is all about minimizing incoming damage. That means killing the weakest mobs first and using your interrupts and stuns. Two strongs can put you in a world of hurt, because it is tough to manage both. On the other hand, full defense spec, I can handle two elites with Doc healing (around level 41).

Some tips:

You can use Ctrl+1 to have your companion attack a mob, while you attack a second one. If I have a strong+a normal, I send Kira after the normal, and I take down the strong.

Use Hilt Strike>Pommel Strike to do a ton of damage and lock down an enemy for a few seconds. On normals, you can also do Bladestorm>Pommel Strike.

Use Force Stasis to lock enemies down, especially if you have the defense talent where it is no longer channeled.

If you are in full Defense spec, here is how you can handle your two strong scenario (assuming all cooldowns are available). Have Doc or Kira attack one of the mobs. You attack the other as follows: Saber Throw>Force Leap>Hilt Strike>Pommel Strike>Force Stasis>Master Strike>Force Push>Force Leap. That should finish off the first mob, or awfully close. You should also be close to full focus. Taunt the other mob before it kills Doc, then start in on it. You should have almost full health when you start the second bad guy.

Hi, i rolled a Guardian thinking i would be able to dps and tank. I'm only level 36 so I'm not sure if it is just a level thing. But my damage really sucks, I've tried both specs. Still no dmg. Tried the tank spec. Die just the same.

My friend is a vanguard and when he goes dmg he out dps's me by a lot.

If he goes tank he never dies.

Overall just not having fun with this character. Can someone help? am i just suppose to cap things, like put bombs on the doors?

You can Tank OR DPS, doing both isn't a possibility. Being a melee class your equipment is extremely important, as well as your level in comparison to the stuff you're fighting.

It sounds like you're looking at WZ's - they are a completely different beast to PvE. I can try to help you out if you tell me what you're doing. I've got some guides on my blog where I talk about my role in WZ's, feel free to take a look.

Well for damage i was gearing up properly, but now i have switched. I was gearing for strength and power.

Yes i have trained everything.

As far as rotation

I normally for tanking use sundering strike a lot, use riposte when it's active. Ill use hilt strike to master strike. use force sweep if there's more than 1 mob, use blade storm on cd.

Dps is pretty much the same except i use overhead slash in combo with blade storm.

Tanking Gear:

End > Str

Def = Shield > Accuracy (till you have 100%) > Absorb > Power > Crit > Surge

Should be using a shield generator in Soresu

DPS Gear:

Str > End

Accuracy (till you have 100%) > Power => Crit (depending on build) > Surge > anything else

Should be using a power generator in Shien or Shii-Cho (depending on build)

If you're just changing specs using the same gear you'll notice that you are underperforming. The game is really based around picking one build and levelling with it, unless you want to gear hunt and keep 2 sets up to date.

In a tanking build make sure you are using your stuns and CC regularly. You should always interrupt anything like: Snipe, Full Auto, Heal

In a group setting use stasis on one mob to keep him busy for a few seconds, stun another, then use master strike on a normal to keep him stunned. If you're surrounded by normals drop a sweep, it stuns them. Even if there is only one, stun him. Blade storm stuns normals.

You will notice a drastic downsweep in the amount of damage you take by effectively using the CC at your disposal. Most groups (when soloing) only have 1 strong, kill him last - CC him and kill the others. Push is an awesome tool to use against melee if you're surrounded, it takes 3+ seconds for them to get back to you and hit you again.

Just died to 2 strong mobs. Doc didn't heal me one time. Sundering strike crit them for 400.

Sundering strike isn't a damage move, it's a focus building move that adds a debuff.

If you're using Doc don't leap from max range, get closer and then leap. If he is out of healing range, but inside damage range he'll just do damage until that mob is dead, then move forward.

Some tips:

I was using overhead slash in dps not tank, and i normally do send my pet in first. The problem i'm having is really low dps, really low survivability.

I've spent a lot of money on trying it out. Like switching my stats through gear and no matter what i do it's extremely difficult to quest or pvp

If i'm a tank, i do maybe 40 dps. And everything takes forever.

Dps i do 100 dps but i die instantly.

You mentioned Overhead Slash, so you appear to be tanking in a Vigilance or hybrid spec

Use Hilt Strike>Pommel Strike to do a ton of damage and lock down an enemy for a few seconds.

Quick question here, because I'm too lazy to check a calculator. Is it even possible to skill hilt strike and overhead slash on a hybrid?!

As a Vig Guardian, I can say with certainty it is possible to deal heaping amounts of damage to your target, if you can control your target appropriately.

It sounds like youre trying to out-burst whatever it is thats killing you. That isnt gonna happen in this game, at least not as a Guardian. The key to Guardian dps is more about control of incoming damage (if youre the primary damage taker, as all Doc-users are) than dealing as much damage as you can before you die.

The best example of this is Force Stasis. It deals a great amount of damage on top of stunning and interrupting your target (if its casting - hint, hint).

Use your abilities for everything they offer, and you will find its possible to deal solid damage playing this class.

I reached level 38 with my Gaurdian. When I started playing SWTOR there was no other choice for me. But I got a bit frustrated with the class because its such a week Tank and does not put out about enough DSP.

Its like they made the Jedi Knight a challenging class on purpose to stop JK population, and so you get a special Cherry at the end - but no. Also, I was getting sick of the Jedi dialogue - he is such an egotist! "... they don't stand a chance against a Jedi" :rolleyes: Very un-Jedi IMO.

.... So I recently started a Bounty Hunter ... OMG what a difference. Personally I have found him to be much more enjoyable and suits by play style better.