Fix Discovered For Performance Issues and AMD Phenom Processors

Haroshia

Hey all,

So like many I was having some very severe issues with performance in certain areas. Alderaan would drop my FPS down to 1, and some spots in the fleet were unplayable. I was frustrated, but I didn't give up. After some searching I found out that there's an issue with AMD's Phenom Processor and something called a TLB fix. This fix causes a few rare games to stutter when they're performing CPU intensive operations.

After some searching I found out that most motherboards have an option to disable this TLB fix, but you may need to flash the BIOS first. I used a tool provided by my motherboard manufacturer to update my BIOS, and sure enough the option was there. After disabling it my FPS jumped from an unplayable 1 to a playable (if not pretty) 15-20 in areas like Alderaan and Ilum.

If your BIOS doesn't support this, you can still find tools online to disable the TLB fix, but I don't know if they work or not. I found links to them on several tech support forums with people getting results, but I don't want to repost them here as I can't speak for their authenticity.

Sorry if this has already been figured out, but figured I'd try to help those having problems like I am!

Yeah I use a program to disable it after windows starts up as there were issues with some versions of windows forcing it back on even if you had it disabled in the bios.

I had to do it for Dragon Age 2 as well. I just leave it in the startup.

My processor is a Phenom 9500 Quad Core 2.2, so I assume so. From what I've read it's early generation quad core Phenoms.

Originally it was an issue with just the first gen phenoms and was fixed for the second gen. However, if your running windows, your OS usually forces it back on at startup. Play around with it a bit. I realize you may not be having fps problems but i noticed a good 10-15FPS increase when i messed with it. Just makes it all the better.

• 1 month later...