The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tank Question (Noob Alert)

Haikku

Dear Fellow PTs,

Last night I hit 50 on my PT and have been jumping at the bit to start tanking. Do I need to acquire better gear (currently in leveling gear) before tanking HMs? Second, is there currently a defense cap that we should strive to meet? I remember in a certain other game ... you needed to hit the magic number to be "uncritable."

Thank you!

Edited by Haikku

Try with the easier HMs first if you are concerned (Black talon for instance). Also, do a few dailies and buy a few purples from GTN to start.

Yo can probably run most HM with a decent group but tanks are very gear dependant. Your healer will have a hard time healing you but it can be done.

Not really, some bosses hit hard and can one shot you. I remember dying to one of the boarding party bosses in literally 1 second. Once you get more endurance and increase your overall mitigation (try to get both shield and absorb >40% to start) you are golden.

Download morningmusume's spreadsheet and work out the best combination of gear that increases mitigation. Just doing dailies and buying some gear from the GTN you can get from 30% shield chance/absorb to more than 40% in both stats in no time.

The general measure to tell if you're ready for hard modes is:

If most of your critical gear is blue or better, you're ready.

If you still have mostly greens, or greens in critical slots (weapon, main armor) you aren't ready.

As for caps, you don't really have to worry about any cap except for shield chance until you get closer to full columi/rakata gear, just because you won't be able to min/max effectively until that point. Just keep piling on the shield chance/absorb/defense/endurance.

Since no one else mentioned it, I'll go over the combat table real quick.

This game consists of two attack rolls:

Accuracy vs Defense

Crit vs Shield

in both cases the attacker's statistic pushes the defender's off of the table. For example:

Attacker with 160% accuracy vs Defender with 80% Defense -- The defender has only a 20% chance to Dodge.

Attacker with 100% crit vs Defender with 60% shield -- The defender will not be able to shield at all.

In both cases the Attacker and Defender's statistics are not likely to be shoving one way or another because of the diminishing returns system in place (however Auto-Crits, while uncommon, do happen in PvP and can render your shield useless for those attacks).

There is no way to "push crits off the hit table," and so that is one less thing to worry about as a tank.

In Hard mode FPs and Ops I have yet to encounter anything that will 2 shot a tank that had not hit its enrage timer. If it has hit its enrage timer, then your tanking stats are likely not going to save you anyway.

Just ensure you've got a decent amount of HP and defensive statistics and you'll do fine.