Focus Sent vs Focus Gardian

Ovarf

I posted this in the Knight area but figured i would get a take on it in here.

Seems to me that there is really no reason to play a focus tree sentinel when you could be playing a focus tree guardian. near as i can tell the guardian would have the same if not better DPS due to the extra 30% with sweep and in addition they have much better damage reduction and survivability.

Now it is entirely possible I am overlooking something that would make this not true and if I am I would like to hear what it is.

I posted this in the Knight area but figured i would get a take on it in here.

Seems to me that there is really no reason to play a focus tree sentinel when you could be playing a focus tree guardian. near as i can tell the guardian would have the same if not better DPS due to the extra 30% with sweep and in addition they have much better damage reduction and survivability.

Now it is entirely possible I am overlooking something that would make this not true and if I am I would like to hear what it is.

Actually, the benefits of the focus tree to Sentinels and Guardians are completely counterintuitive. Guardians do more damage due to the 30% bonus from the Vigilance tree. But Sentinels actually have 7% (3% from base stance, 2% from Defensive Forms and 2% from Enduring) damage reduction in Shii-Cho, compared to 3% for a Guardian. This may be offset by Guardian's heavy armor, but Sentinels can also run Transcendence nonstop with focus tree talents, and that grants 10% ranged and melee defense, plus 50% movement bonus.

Sentinel Sweep is every 9s and costs 1 Focus, Guardian is 30% more damage, and 9s and 3 Focus.

Sentinel has 5% more mitigation and perma Transcendance.

Do the maths.

This.

Edit: to clarify, 100% uptime on Transendance is HUGE. Reason enough to play a Focus Sent right there.

Edited by Kryptorchid