(L,F&E #22a) Escape from Coruscant

kalenath

Reluctantly she took the glass and finished it once more, much slower this time. Setting the glass down again she sighed.

All the tools she touched were for making things, blasters while some might qualify them as tools were meant to destroy. One could not argue that they created anything besides holes and scorch marks, and pain, she couldn't forget pain... none of that was truly creating or at least not by her standards. Then again blasters could created opportunities. If it wasn't for blasters she would still be stuck in a lab so in some respects they did create. It was just a confusing matter all together. She decided to let it drop, there was no use arguing with herself in circles over it.

She turned her attention back to Will. A grave expression was on her face. "What is it like to kill? To actually be the one pulling the trigger?"

((Posted by Nitwhit))

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kalenath

Top Posters In This Topic

Will looked at her, a sad expression on his face. Then he looked away, but at something only he could see... When he spoke, it was as if his voice came from far away.

"To take a life, to kill... I don't care what anyone says. It's different for every being. I knew a Rodian named Haryt, a being raised on a world of rough and tumble fighting, hunting and killing, who raised flowers. He never picked up a gun. Never took a life. One of the most compassionate beings I have ever met. He was conscripted. When he finally killed a sentient being, it tore him apart. I knew a human by the name of Hope, raised in a nature preserve commune on Correllia, who was one of the most vicious beings I have ever met. Killing never bothered her. Me... I don't know. I've done it for so long, its almost second nature." He sighed.

"What is it like to kill, you ask? It's easy if you know how. When you are trained for it, it becomes second, heck, first nature. On the battlefield, you two choices, live or die. Twenty one years I have been a soldier, that doesn't mean it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I wake in a cold sweat, sometimes I remember when I dream of what I have seen, what I have done." He shook himself, rose and went to get a cup of water for himself. he sipped it slowly. As he did, he spoke.

"All I can tell you is this. I hope you never need to. It changes a person. My reason for joining the Republic military when I did was so that people like you wouldn't have to fight." He sat down and shook his head.

Noting the shift in Will's demeanor Val was starting to regret having asked. Her curiosity always seemed to get the better of her. She could keep her mouth shut most of the time, but other times she let the words come out before thinking things through completely.

"I wouldn't exactly call myself a civilian though... I mean I've, I've been designing orbital lasers. I don't know what the Sith do with them exactly outside of their intended purpose which isn't exactly good to begin with... but I know people die because of me. I can't figure out why this is different though? I mean... I don't know what I mean..."

She sighed. Why did she say that? Stupid, stupid, stupid... Sometimes things didn't make sense, sometimes things weren't logical, she needed to accept that. Now seemed like a good time to switch topics.

"So how long until the transport's ready?"

((Posted by Nitwhit))

Will looked at her and shook himself.

"One difference between before and now. Before you had no control over what people did with your work. Now you do. I can't guarantee they will always do what you want, but they will listen to you." He grinned. "Or they will listen to ME." His grin turned urchinlike for a moment then vanished as a guard came in and nodded. "Time to get ready to go." He turned to where Olana was still sacked out.

"Hey, fur ball, get up, times a'wasting!" Olana was on his feet and climbing into his pack before Will finished the comment. Will shook his head and rose to his feet. He extended a hand to Val, making sure she would use her good arm.

Val smiled as she grabbed his hand and pulled herself up. This was going to be an interesting change, she had a feeling she was going to enjoy it. Having people who actually care about her input was going to be different. She had a feeling the people she was going to possibly end up working with were going to be different as well if Will was any indication.

"So where exactly is this ship taking us again?"

((Posted by Nitwhit))

"We are going to meet the Stormhawk. I don't know exactly where." Will admitted and then smiled at Val's expression. "I know the usual areas the ship operates. But, they don't keep a set schedule. The transport comes from there, gets ion blasted, loaded, scanned thoroughly and goes back. And I do know the pilot, you will like it." He led her out of the room into a maze of corridors, Olana followed, his bowcaster in hand.

Will led her to a landing bay right by the clinic and in it sat what looked for all the world like a Deliverance class freighter. The cargo hold gaped open and Will held up a hand, then spun Val around so she faced the other way. He and Olana turned as well. A bright blue flash was seen. And the tingle of ion bolts was felt. Will turned back and smiled.

"No droids on that one." He smirked and led her into the ship as droids started loading pallets of stuff. Looking around on entry, there were no bunks, no crew quarters, no amenities of any kind. He led her to the cockpit. Seated at the controls was...

"Two, this one was informed you were here and need transport. This one is proud to assist." The Gand turned to them.

"Gand Roklas, meet Viala Sunrunner. Viala, meet our pilot." The gand nodded to her. Olana folded himself into a corner, Will motioned val to the only other seat and pulled a harness from the wall for himself.

"Two, this one has information you need." Will froze.

"Nia?" The gand nodded, then stopped. He looked at Val. Will shrugged.

"Your daughter lives, healed by a Jedi. Your dam has been located." Will froze. "She and your sister are alive and well." Will shook his head, unable to speak. "This one will get you there quickly." And with that the Gand spun around and with a lurch the ship was airborne.

Val nodded back towards the Gand as they were introduced before strapping into the seat. She was primarily consumed with looking over the ship's controls and layout. Hm... that could go here, this could go there, power would be better distributed if it the circuits joined there. Engines probably could use a tune up. What did this thing have for...

Feeling the lurch of the ship her train of though was broken. She turned back to Will and the wookiee before facing forward again enjoying watching the giant sand filled planet vanishing before them. The pilot had said something about Nia, she had been mentioned before the one who was hurt. Dam? Dam... wife or mother, Val couldn't remember. Then mention of a sister. It sounded like Will's family was rather busy and that was a lot of news. At least it sounded like everyone was alright. She shook her head for a moment, she shouldn't pry it was rude, and resumed glancing out the window.

((Posted by Nitwhit))

Will was sunk into himself, he barely knew what was going on. Nia was alive that was a good thing. His...mother...? He... He couldn't think...He sat and wondered.

Olana looked at Will, then at Val and spoke quietly so as not to disturb the pilot.

<Can you understand me?> He hoped she did, this was important.

Val pulled out her datapad and after stroking a few keys a translator popped up and she nodded to Olana. Why hadn't she thought of that before? Oh well what mattered was that she had it now. Anything the wookiee said would be run through various programs and converted to on screen text so she could understand.

She glanced back at Will and frowned. He didn't look like himself or at least not what she had seen of him so far. Her brown eyes slowly moved back to Olana.

((Posted by Nitwhit))

Edited by kalenath

• 2 weeks later...

Olana nodded to her. He hoped her machine would work.

<My friend lost his family long ago. He accepted the loss, he moved on with his life. Now...> Olana looked at where Will was slumped against the bulkhead, silent, stiff. <...We learn that was not true. We do not know all, but we know more than we did. He will need time. He will need space. He may not be able to stay with you, but I, OLanagychew, will. He would wish me too. I will remain with you until it is decided what will happen. If you wish to leave, i will take you where you wish to go. I swear it on my honor. You may not know of my people, but when we give our word it means something. None will harm you. Rest if you can. I hope good news waits for us on the ship.>

He stopped talking and nodded to her again.

Val's eyes scanned the text as it appeared on her datapad. After Olana had stopped speaking she looked up and nodded to him. She spoke keeping her voice as low as possible. "He is going to be Ok? Right?" Her brown eyes darted to Will and a worried look ran across her face.

It was all good news right? They were all ok weren't they? Then again the shock of having lost everything to find out that you hadn't would be something she could never understand, not at this point in her life anyways. Val knew where all her family was, all of them and in truth she really wish she didn't sometimes as horrible as that might sound.

((Posted by NitWhit))

Edited by kalenath

Val sighed and turned back towards the front of the ship thinking of the most pilot friendly ways to adjust the controls for all the various systems but her mind was elsewhere. She set her datapad down in her lap just in case she would need it again. Running the fingers of her right hand through her long brown hair she stared out the window and just watched the blackness and the stars fly past.

((Posted by Nitwhit))

Edited by kalenath

The transport touched down with a thump. The Gand got out of its chair, saluted Will and Olana and left the cockpit. Olana stood up and after stretching, waited for Val to stand. Then he led her out of the ship. He looked at Will, but his friend didn't move. Didn't react to his soft question... Olana slumped. He would tell the doctor when he took Val to him. He stood for a moment, getting his bearings, then led Val to the aft bay door. Then they took the elevator to Medical, that was their first stop.

Will groaned. He hurt. He didn't know how long he had been sitting in the same position, but... the pilot was gone, Val and Olana were as well. They must have landed. He moved slowly out of teh ship and towards the bay door. He saw a commotion nearby but kept his focus on the door. His emotions threatened to overwhelm him. He saw the armored figure of Stormhawk boss approaching and moved to the shadows. He was hurt when Boss thought he might shoot. And he was gratified to hear that Nia would live. He moved off, and then froze. The woman hugging the girl had long black hair and he could see her face now.

“I… I hadn’t believed…” Then the unthinkable happened. Will collapsed to his knees. At the sound of his armor striking the deck, Maria Kalenath looked up from Sara’s head and froze. Will bowed his head, overcome by his grief. Maria, holding onto Sara’s hand came close. He looked up at her. Tears streamed freely.

“I… I didn’t know, they… they all said you were dead… I didn’t…I would have… I swear I would have…” He broke off overcome. Maria handed Sara’s hand to Boss and she knelt by her son. She took his shoulders in her arms and gave him a hug. “I didn’t know…I didn’t know…” He repeated over and over and she made soft noises.

((For the rest of that story see Big Guns))

Val looked back towards Will as they left. She felt bad but there wasn't anything she could really do to help and it was clear that he just needed space.

She followed Olana around the ship. She couldn't say that she had seen anything quite like it and she was impressed and getting her impressed by a ship was a hard thing to do. As they passed she was taking in everything she could lay her eyes on trying to piece it all together as much as she could. By the time she had arrived at the med bay her head was killing her, trying to take in that much at once was inevitably going to lead to that but she couldn't stop herself. Now she was regretting it.

((Posted by Nitwhit))

Olana led Val into the Medical bay. He didn't miss how she winced as if her head hurt. He looked for L'trask. He smiled as he saw the reptilian form. It still bemused him sometimes that he could like a Trandoshan, but everyone liked the doc.

<Hey doc! Patient for you.> He gently steered Val, who was weaving now, to a chair. L'trask came to the door of thr room he was at and nodded. A muffled voice was heard.

"No...not...stay..." L'trask turned and actually barked into the room. Olana stared, the doc never lost his temper.

"...if you move, I will have the bot sedate you again." A muffled sound of annoyance came from the room. "Now...sit there and wait. I'll be right back."

The Trandoshan in the medical tunic came quickly to where Olana was sitting. His trained eyes took the situation an a glance. When he spoke, there was no trace of anger, it was gentle.

"I can see the arm. A headache too?"

Val plopped down in the chair and closed her eyes for a moment as she rubbed her right temple with her good hand. Hearing the commotion coming from the other room she raised an eyebrow in curiosity... why couldn't people just listen to doctors they tend to know what they're doing?

Her eyes glanced up towards the doctor. A Trandoshan as a doctor struck her as odd although she didn't quite know why... but perhaps that was just because her head hurt.

"Yes, headache." She smiled feebly, but her eyes were watching the doc curiously.

((Posted by Nitwhit))

"Sit. Let me take a look." The doctor's eyes lingered on the bandages on her arm and then waved her towards a chair. The medical bay was state of the art, shiny, clean and uncluttered. The trandoshan did not smile, he had learned that his smiles generally caused fear in people who didn't know him. It bothered him, but just like he had when he laerned Basic, he dealt with it.

"My name is L'trask, I am the doctor here, well, one of them." He nodded to Val. "You are dehydrated as well as injured. Who treated you?" He pulled a scanner down from the wall and Ran it over Val. "Your arm, anything else? I can see..."

A crash from the room he had yelled into interrupted him and he sighed. Olana snarled and moved towards the room. L'trask shook his head and spoke to the Wookiee.

"Keep her in the bed, I'll be there in a minute." On seeing Val's curious look, the doctor shook his head. "That girl...well, she doesn't mean to be like that, she was hurt. And she hates sitting while she thinks things need to be done." A muted roar from the room brought a thin grin to the doctors scaly face.

"Olana will keep her until I am finished with you. Does your arm hurt now?" His voice was gentle and his hands just as gentle as he carefully lifted her bandaged arm.

Val winced slightly as he raised her arm. It was still tender but she could tell it was healing much to her relief. She really didn't want to have to get a mechanical replacement the last thing she wanted was to actually be part machine. "Yes, not nearly as bad as it did previously before we saw the med clinic on Tatooine though. Its more of just a dull throbbing now, almost a sore feeling."

She paused a moment. "And besides my headache and my arm I don't think anything else is wrong at least not anything that I know of."

Val couldn't help but keep glancing back towards the room where the commotion was coming from. It struck her that she had yet to introduce herself... that wasn't polite. Her glanced back at the doctor. "And I'm Viala, but Val works for short." Her eyes darted back to the room. "What is it exactly that's wrong with her... if you don't mind me asking that is?"

((Posted by Nitwhit))

L'trask smiled. It might have been a fearsome sight, but his body language was nonthreatening. And his hands were gentle as they moved her arm carefully, checking range of motion. When she hissed, he stopped and laid it back down gently. He raised his eye ridges in obvious surprise.

"Val then. Cranna's people worked on you? They are good. I have worked with them. The damage is healing well. You should have full use of it, just don't rush it or you might wind up back here." He handed her a cloth sling. "Wear that. It will help keep you from using it too much." Then he sighed.

"That's Nia. She was...well...She had brain injuries. We have fixed what we can, now all she needs is time. But she's...stubborn. It's not really her fault, injuries to the brain cause confusion. And hers were bad." He looked at her. "So what brings you here?" As he spoke he poured a galss of water and handed it to her. "You are dehydrated, drink."

Seeing him smile, Val didn't flinch or recoil. To her it registered as a smile, nothing threatening. It was as if it was perfectly normal to see a Trandoshan smiling although she never really could say that she had.

"Will helped me er... escape from my previous employer. I'm I guess what would be best classified as a Starship Engineer with a primary focus in weapons and secondary in engines. He told me that his friends could use someone like me and I felt it would be a nice way to repay the favor... besides I needed a change of pace." She left out the fact that her previous employer was the Sith for obvious reasons. Val remembered what Will had said about them not being fond of the Sith and she figured that little piece of information might best be kept for when it was necessary to be revealed.

She took the sling and gently placed her arm in it. That was much better, it felt so much less awkward to actually have her arm resting in something rather than dangling at her side.

((Posted by Nitwhit))

L'trask smiled again, not this had to be a grin. He laughed.

"And knowing Will, he just pulled you along from one piece of craziness to another. And barely left you time to breathe between them, right?" He shook his head still laughing. "I have worked with him in the field, a good man, but insane. And, yes we can always use people trained in Starship Engineering."

He looked up and nodded as another form entered the Medical bay. The fully armored man walked around to where Val could see him without stirring and sat down in a chair facing her.

"Val, may I introduce you to Stormhawk Boss, the commander of the ship." The armored man nodded to her. "Don't frightern her, Boss. She has been through a lot." Boss inclined his head towards Nia's room and L'trask left without a further word.

Without preamble, the man known as Stormhawk Boss spoke.

"What did the man who helped you tell you about us?"

Seeing the fully armored man Val shrunk back some. Bad memories... she shook her head briefly and returned her attention to him. It was strange looking into a visor, she didn't like not knowing what the man might be doing behind it.

"That seemed to describe it pretty accurately, he more or less went from place to place without pausing for a moment... I don't think we actually stopped until Tatooine but then again I was out for a good portion of it." She looked down at her arm and frowned before her abyssal brown eyes slowly looked back up at him, to where she thought his eyes probably were.

"Will told me that you aren't fond of the Sith, at all. He told me that you are more or less classified as pirates by both factions although you help the Republic. This ship is the first of a special class of battlecruiser. He told me about what happened at the battle at Coruscant and he told me that your opportation consists of a ship and a logistics base I believe... My head is throbbing right now so I might have left something out."

She paused keeping her eyes on the visor and waiting for whatever question might come next. Internally she shuddered, why would a man stay in armor? Didn't he want to at least seem personable at all? The tactic was something the Sith used, something she had been subjected too and she never liked it.

((Posted by Nitwhit))

Edited by kalenath

Boss looked at the woman in front of him and sighed. He hated his life sometimes. When he spoke it was kinder.

"I wear this armor because I must, Viala Sunrunner, not because I want to, or to scare people. This armor is a symbol of this ship and her crew. Symbols have power, and out here, we need all the help we can get. You are right, we don't work for either faction. We support the people of the Republic, defend them when and where we can. We operate on the fringes, doing what we can to help. Sometimes that means fighting the Sith, sometimes it means airdropping relief supplies to a world cut off from normal supply lines. Sometimes it means hitting Sith shipping, raiding their commerce. You are right, this ship is unique. All of the schematics for it were destroyed when the dock it had been built in was blasted by the Sith fleet that attacked Coruscant. Except the ones we have." His smile was evident in his tone.

"We could definitely use your help with the ship, the reports I was given say you know what you are doing. But, this is a lot to take in. I wanted to meet you. You don't have to say yes or no about staying today. You need rest and the doc will check your arm again, just to be sure." L'trask nodded from his doorway, smiling at her.

Val nodded. It couldn't hurt to sleep on it, to maybe think things through. It had all happened so fast. Hearing the man's reasons for wearing the armor brought her a slight sigh of relief but trying to pretty much be a symbol of what the crew and ship stood for was a heavy burden to bear. It seemed like too much for a single person, and what happened when that person couldn't bear the burden anymore?

She shook the thoughts from her head, she really just wanted to stop and relax for once. They had been running for a long time or what felt like a long time to her and not being used to that sort of thing was not helping her any. It felt so good to stop, to be safe.

((Posted by Nitwhit))