The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Will there be a new Star Wars film series?

Zemeckiss

Luas is quitting filmaking. He's supposedly going to sell Lucas Films, so maybe the rights to star wars will be sold + great film makers like James Cameron and Steven Spielberg can make branched off films :p

He is not selling LucasFilms, and Cameron is incapable of writing an original story. Every one of his films are re-writes of existing stories. Hell, he's even been successfully sued for plagarising "Soldier" and "Demon With a Glass Hand" in order to make "The Terminator."

I'm sure we'll get more movies eventually. Either set in the Old Republic since there is a lot more room available for storytelling, or else (ugh) reboots of the originals.

What surprises me is that there have been very, very few competitors trying to muscle in on the sci-fi/space-fantasy market since it is huge and popular, and since Star Wars movies are so few. Star Trek didn't really fill that void well, and most other attempts have been low-budget crapola or the occasional tv series which--when done seriously--have been pretty successful (BSG and Babylon5 for example).

I think the reason there is not a whole lot of Sci fi movies these days is the same reason why there arent a whole lot of actions movies, since the 90's there hasnt really been to many Sci fi or action, and when I say action I am not counting Super hero movies.

I think in the last few years I can only recall one Sci fi and that was the Star trek reboot.

I know they are making another movie, but I also would not be opposed to new movies.

you mean Soldier and episode from the show outer limits, I looked it up and the only thing that is even remotly close to Terminator is a soldier who time travels, other then that there is nothing incommon. I mean couldnt be further from the plot of terminator.

All though who knows it is james cam we are talking about, I dont think anyone has original ideas these days.

Edited by Noczod

I'm sure we'll get more movies eventually. Either set in the Old Republic since there is a lot more room available for storytelling, or else (ugh) reboots of the originals.

What surprises me is that there have been very, very few competitors trying to muscle in on the sci-fi/space-fantasy market since it is huge and popular, and since Star Wars movies are so few. Star Trek didn't really fill that void well, and most other attempts have been low-budget crapola or the occasional tv series which--when done seriously--have been pretty successful (BSG and Babylon5 for example).

There's actually been quite a few sci-fi/fantasy things out recently. They've just all sucked! The ones that have been successful, are just not interesting to me. Harry Pottery and Twilight come to mind. Then look at films like Skyfall, and you'll see why a lot of companies aren't too eager to risk the budget.

• 3 months later...
If there ever is another movie then they need to stay away from the old series of movies. It's done. it's over with. dont care what the books say. I would however like to see a Star Wars: knights of the old republic movie. 1st one can cover the fall, and rise of Revan. The 2nd could cover what this game covers in a way (the beginning to the conflict) , and show us how the entire war started. And the 3rd could cover the Fall of the Sith Empire. These are just ideas, but i believe that Lucas would probably sell the rights to it since it's not the original saga. However i'd like to see it done in CGI. Always seems like the real actors either can't act (like Anakin in 2 and 3), and that they are limited to what we see they can do in the Bioware trailers for this game. with all that it could make a great movie. An actual war between sith and jedi in a movie would be awesome :D

Fans always like to think there will more films down the line, but that simply is not going to happen. Lucas has said several times that there is no story (at lest from him) after Return of the Jedi. Originally there was going to be Episodes VII-IX, but they were condensed down and included into Jedi, with the Emperor being killed, and finding "the other Skywalker" which turned out to be Leia, etc. Also, Lucas has said that since he legally owns the property, that he is leaving instructions after he dies that would prevent anyone getting the rights to make new films. So if you want to know what happens to Luke and the others after Ep. VI, there are plenty of books in the EU you can look up, because that is all we are getting. We will be getting the live action tv show in a few years, since Lucas has written out several episodes already and is just waiting for technology to get better so he can make it cheaper.

I have been reading up on the "story" of Star Wars and have found that the story involved has actually continued long after the end of Episode IV.

Many interesting things happen that would make great film series; such as when Luke becomes Jedi Grand Master, marries someone called Mara Jade, trains Leia in the Force, creates the New Jedi Order and teaches new Jedi. Leia marries Han Solo, have three kids, one of them, Jacen Solo, turns to the dark side and takes up the name Darth Caedus, replacing Darth Vader as Dark Lord of the Sith

Sorry. The movies are over. Lucas says he's done with the films and that he doesn't want anyone else messing with them.

"I'm not going to do it. I'm too old. I've got other movies I want to do. And I don't want anybody else to do it, so I've locked it up so nobody can ever do it. There may be TV offshoots from people, but the saga itself, the story of the Skywalker family, is over." - George Lucas, 2004

Even if he did decide to make more films, you wouldn't be seeing those EU events, because they never happened in his Star Wars universe.

"I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..." - George Lucas, 2008

"Yes, the books follow the continuity of the films as best we can taking into account that George follows his own continuity, and rightly so. He's the filmmaker.

As far as 'legitimate continuation of the films' -- If George had continued making SW films past Return of the Jedi, I don't think they would have reflected what the SW authors have written." - Sue Rostoni, Lucas Licensing (LLP Managing Editor), 2005

"No. George doesn't give us much information about his future movies until he's making them. In general, George does not take the EU into account when he's making his movies. I feel like I ALWAYS have to qualify myself because there'll be somebody out there who will say 'BUT WHAT ABOUT....' and then go on to say that we're wrong and covering up..... It's why none of us really give you 'facts.' When we do, there's those one or two that blast us into silence.

It's our job to manipulate the EU into fitting George's future movies, which often contradict stuff we've done. Not our ONLY job, of course." - Sue Rostoni, Lucas Licensing (LLP Managing Editor), 2003