Assault Pressure VS Gunnery

Uppercase

Im currently Gunnery spec commando and I had a pvp question for the Assault guys. I find i can put a TON of pressure on a person just blindly spamming grav round on somebody. The constant high dps forces the person to stop what they are doing and try and LOS me or they will die.

When I tried out assault (very briefly) It felt like people would just keep doing what they were doing and hopefully nobody would cast one heal to negate my dots. The question is assault pvpers do you feel like you push pure pressure aka FORCE a healer to heal your target and nothing else or he dies, or is your dps very negatable, bka just fluffing the top damage chart for mvp votes.

Reason I ask is im not a fan of the stationary turret type pvp that is the gunnery style, and Id like to switch to assault tree, I just dont want to be useless in pvp. I dont care about topping the dps charts.

assault shines in defending cap points. dot everyone and unless they cleanse they can't cap for 18s. Huge burst potential too. I opt for plasma nades over charged bolt. Plasma, plastique,incendiary,high impact,full auto,high impact if it procs, even if you dont use plasma nades.. Being able to run, throw a plastique, incendiary,high impact for burst on the run with a couple hammers thrown in.

The biggest difference vs a healer is gunnery has an additional interrupt (stun + 2 knock backs) vs assaults (stun + single knockback)

Gunnery hits a tad harder if you can free cast, but assult can keep putting out damage even if you have someone get on you.

I was gunnery leveling up and a few weeks post 50, I HATED assault when i first tried it and felt it was fluff garbage (I speced back in less than an hour). I geared up some more and then tried it again and after I spent a day getting used to new rotations for burst and stuff I love it.

HIB and platique hit super hard, and you can toss in a full auto to help burn down the big boys.

multi healers are always tough, but you should be assisting and mezzing one of the healers anyways.

Edited by Dooger

Im currently Gunnery spec commando and I had a pvp question for the Assault guys. I find i can put a TON of pressure on a person just blindly spamming grav round on somebody. The constant high dps forces the person to stop what they are doing and try and LOS me or they will die.

When I tried out assault (very briefly) It felt like people would just keep doing what they were doing and hopefully nobody would cast one heal to negate my dots. The question is assault pvpers do you feel like you push pure pressure aka FORCE a healer to heal your target and nothing else or he dies, or is your dps very negatable, bka just fluffing the top damage chart for mvp votes.

Reason I ask is im not a fan of the stationary turret type pvp that is the gunnery style, and Id like to switch to assault tree, I just dont want to be useless in pvp. I dont care about topping the dps charts.

Assault spec - do tons of damage throughout the course of the fight, putting pressure on the opposing team and their healers. You are not useless in this spec to your team.

Gunnery spec - does the burst damage that can kill targets, though you're forced to focus on one target at a time. You are not useless in this spec to your team.

In the end, it's a matter of which playstyle you prefer and what sort of dps role you'd like to fill on your team.

level 37 commando here, and after playing gunnery and assault extensively, I can truthfully say that I feel more of an asset as assault. When I played gunnery, I felt like I could put out great damage, but I was less mobile.

As assault, not only am I able to gun on the move, in objective based games I can delay a objective point capture for the valuable second it takes to get some backup. I can regularly net 6-7 medals a game as assault, and as gunnery I net less. All in all, I feel like assault is better for PvP.

Im nearing battle master and I tend to prefer gunnery, but assault is very fun due to mobility.

Reason is that assault is terrible against healers and bubble.

Most classes cannot stand and take grav rounds and they burst down big threats like sorcs very effectively.

Assault is fun because it can rack up insane damage scores, but it can be very frustrating when the enemy is healing and you just cant put out enough dps.

Gunnery is also much better for PVE so it saves on respec costs.

I'd tend to say assault is anti-meele while gunnery is anti-caster / ranged. I tend to think caster are the larger threat most of the time and gunnery gets better knockbacks to deal with meele.

I have not PvP recently due to pc FPS issues but prior to 1.1 patch .... was not uncommon to receive 2 -3 MVP votes in may warzones if I play well in Alderaan and Voidstar. The impact was quite visible. This is irrespective if I am top DPS on team with Assault or top 3. Main reason is at that time I could delay enemies for a long time. Overall this freed up more players in my team at other points / door. Called in timely reinforcements as required only.

You have 1 instant cast DoT and one channeled 3 target DoT. They perform a major annoyance role. Actually many of the other skills in Assault Tree are hard hitting like HiB ( with extra armor penetration ) and Assault Plastique. I've noticed the additional pressure actually comes from the Hammer shot in Assault which is really strong damage boost and if they go below 30 % HP even the Hammer + DoTs will kill most.

There is another level of spike damage but requires casting. This is Full Auto and Charged Bolts sequence to try and trigger HiB. This sequence is very damaging on burning targets coupled with Assault Plastique. However most good premades will really make you work to be able to cast these.