The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

If SWTOR is just WoW in Space.....

Majestic_Jazz

A little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

I have to say reading these first time mmo player posts is amazing. I love that playing a mmo for 2 days makes you a expert on the genre.

I blow glass for a living, I can't tell you how many people I've taught and think that after a year or 2 they're masters. It takes 4 years to become a beginner in glassblowing.

Young men always think they know it all after 3 months of experience with anything.

Also it may help that Star Wars Galaxies went terrible after SOE defiled it and is shutting down in a few days. That's probably a good reason to start here.

Again, I stand by statement that TOR is WoW in space and that's not a bad thing. It's not a WoW clone in space, mind. It has high production quality and plenty of polish, which is something most 'WoW clones' lack.

And Bioware and Bioware's fanbase

I don't know that I'd go that far.

Bioware's already had one pretty poor release this year (Dragon Age 2). After years of waiting for them to follow up one of the greatest console RPGs known to man, they fake it with DA2... Not saying the hardcore fanboys won't be right there with 'em, but I'd certainly not count on them, after how poorly DA2 was received.

Young men always think they know it all after 3 months of experience with anything.

I have to agree with you here.

I'm a Linux systems admin by trade, a programmer (php) by hobby. You'd be surprised how many people come up and try to tell me how to do my job, or claim "this should only take a few minutes"... It's the same thing. I've been working with Linux for between 15 and 20 years now, and have been programming for close to 30, but people constantly try to come in like they know what they're talking about.

Hey, can you build my computer, for free? One of my favorite questions of all time.

A little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

I blow glass for a living, I can't tell you how many people I've taught and think that after a year or 2 they're masters. It takes 4 years to become a beginner in glassblowing.

Thank you making me LOL at this comment. Teaching men how to blow. Definitely would not want that on my resume.

Since WoW is/was so popular any MMOPRG game that comes out is compared to it. When I played Rift it was the same way. People look for similarities between the class set ups, spells, and anything else they can think of. "_____________ plays like Shaman." ,"___________ is pretty much Paladin.", etc. Graphically ToR looks so much better and less than 1 hour into the beta I was genuinely interested in the storyline.

If SWTor is just WoW in space... then I'll be gone as soon as I finish the character story lines that I'm interested in (3 to be exact).

I already played WoW I'm afraid, for quite a long time, and even though I have mostly fond memories of it, I just don't have the will nor time to go into another botomless timesink which has no real purpose, nor goal.

Farming gear, for the sake of farming more and better gear, for the sake of farming even more and better.... (only to delete it all in a level or two come the next expansion and rinse repeat) - it's already done in WoW - and it becomes a sad addiction for many.

Not to mention the hassle of managing time zones and time frames of 40 / 25 people, getting people raiding all at the same time, loot point systems, damage meters, aggro meters, looking up world first boss tactics on famous guild sites before even atempting said boss... not to mention a community mainly composed of lootwhores or elitist inbreds.

Those are just a few of the things I hope do not carry over from WoW into SWtor.

Hopefully Bioware will raise the bar - like WoW did so many years ago - continue the interesting storylines well into level cap - make personal decisions meaningful, PvP meaningful in a Republic vs Sith universe - hard PvE instances for 5/6 people max!

But above all - do stuff that wasn't already in WoW and improves the general experience!

If SWTor is just WoW in space... then I'll be gone as soon as I finish the character story lines that I'm interested in (3 to be exact).

I already played WoW I'm afraid, for quite a long time, and even though I have mostly fond memories of it, I just don't have the will nor time to go into another botomless timesink which has no real purpose, nor goal.

Farming gear, for the sake of farming more and better gear, for the sake of farming even more and better.... (only to delete it all in a level or two come the next expansion and rinse repeat) - it's already done in WoW - and it becomes a sad addiction for many.

Not to mention the hassle of managing time zones and time frames of 40 / 25 people, getting people raiding all at the same time, loot point systems, damage meters, aggro meters, looking up world first boss tactics on famous guild sites before even atempting said boss... not to mention a community mainly composed of lootwhores or elitist inbreds.

Those are just a few of the things I hope do not carry over from WoW into SWtor.

Hopefully Bioware will raise the bar - like WoW did so many years ago - continue the interesting storylines well into level cap - make personal decisions meaningful, PvP meaningful in a Republic vs Sith universe - hard PvE instances for 5/6 people max!

But above all - do stuff that wasn't already in WoW and improves the general experience!

i feel ya man, but that is tha game. there is no evidence to the contrary. the sad thing is i feel subs for this game have a real shelf life. they did a lot right but a could things really really wrong.