Questions for others (dps trees)

imnotme

SO Ive been leveling up as deception--- Im interested in both PVE and PVP. Ive done pretty well with it in PVE so far (just hit 40). My usual PVE rotation has been to pretty much been to try and keep recklessness up (instant, free to cast), popping assassinate, discharge, maul in that order of priority. I use Blackout for bursts of energy, as well as Saber Strike when everythings on cooldown and/or I need energy. I stun when I need to get behind an enemy, and Force Cloak when I need to shrug threat. Im normally able to keep mauls throwing left and right and land have been capable of landing pretty solid sustained dps.

Now in PVP it was another matter. I started off not playing so well and dieing as often as I was killing. Since practice makes perfect, Ive learned to adapt and Ive noticed my medal count drift upwards from 2-3 per match to an average of 5 or 6.

However........ Im looking at my toon right now, and thinking about things--- and Im not sure Im really where I need to be.

-----------------------------------------

1) Is deception really that much worse than madness at DPS in PVE?

2) Ive seen people talking about different priorities in PVE. Some are swearing by Voltaic Slash + Shock cycles, while others are saying no--- maul really is your bread and butter in PVE-- go that way and splash darkness instead. Any thoughts?