The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Expertise doesn't make sense to me.

genesiser

I don't understand the point of expertise in it's current form.

If you get expertise it raises the damage you do and reduces damage you take by the same amount. So if you get two people with say 20% expertise, then won't it be like they have 0% bonus dmg/dmg reduction? Aside from having an advantage over a new pvper, where is the advantage of having expertise vs someone that also has expertise?

I could see if it also reduced the chance to be critically hit or something, but it's current form seems odd.

And that is the hypocrisy of a PvP stat. It makes PvP balanced for people with the same gear (which would still be balanced without a PvP stat), but it makes it contributes to imbalance for EVERYONE else by more than it would without it. Edited by Kryptorchid

It is a stat, that is used to differentiate between pvp gear and pve gear.

Pvp gear should not be used for pve, therefor the stats are worse but gets expertise for pvp.

Pve gear should not be used for pvp, better stats overall, but without expertise still inferior to pvp gear.

(The idea to have a pve-stat makes a lot more sense though, but since it is less trouble to implement a new stat on the pvp-sets instead of all the pve-gear, they went this way.)

Edited by Delezar

Its main purpose is to allow the people who leveled quick and farmed points off of lowbies in 1-50 WZs and later in Ilum bug to gain and keep a huge and unfair advantage. There's really no other reason for it.

As a mechanic, PvP stat is flawed at the core. It was a huge mistake when Blizzard did it. It's still a huge mistake the way Bioware did it (and I feel they did it wrong, at least Blizzard version didn't buff the damage, only the survival). It'll still be a huge mistake the next time someone else copies it without thinking into their next MMO.

What you seem to asking for is a system, where you get PvP gear, and through the gear be better than another player who got the same PvP gear.

The biggest reason for expertise is that it is a stat that is PvP specific. This means that a PvE geared player cannot be better than an equally geared PvP player.

Pvp gear should not be used for pve, therefor the stats are worse but gets expertise for pvp.

Pve gear should not be used for pvp, better stats overall, but without expertise still inferior to pvp gear.

And why is there a need to differentiate between PvP gear and PvE gear on PvP servers where one can encounter PvP while doing PvE? Can you explain that obvious contradiction?

For example, a group in PvE gear is killing a world boss. A group in PvP gear rolls in and stomps them, essentially with gear alone. 0 Exp vs 500+ Exp, guess who wins? See the problem?

Gear is gear. No matter how you got it. If they're worried about people raiding for good gear and then using it in PvP, maybe they should...gee, I dunno...make raiding harder instead of a total faceroll? :rolleyes:

Its main purpose is to allow the people who leveled quick and farmed points off of lowbies in 1-50 WZs and later in Ilum bug to gain and keep a huge and unfair advantage. There's really no other reason for it.

As a mechanic, PvP stat is flawed at the core. It was a huge mistake when Blizzard did it. It's still a huge mistake the way Bioware did it (and I feel they did it wrong, at least Blizzard version didn't buff the damage, only the survival). It'll still be a huge mistake the next time someone else copies it without thinking into their next MMO.

The real unfair aspect isn't the stat itself, but how quickly players can get a lot of it. So new level 50s have no chance against these high-expertise players.

Pvp gear should not have an advantage in pve, therefor the stats are identical to PvE gear.

Pve gear should not have an advantage for pvp, identical stats overall, but with added expertise that increases damage/healing/defense while in an Operation so allows gear progression in PvE.

Fixed that for ya.