The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Grapple not working?

CaptainShanks

So in a round of Huttball today, I had Grapple fail to do anything eight times over the course of the match...this resulted in two enemy goals that would've easily been prevented. So, I know there are diminishing returns on CC, but I'd never had this happen til I hit 50. My build, however, now includes the 3 second immobilize on Grapple...does having that skill make Grapple not work because of diminishing returns, or was I just lucky up til now?

Number of issues.

First, grapple does respect resolve, unlike charge. So yeah, full resolve = failed grapple.

Second, huttball is a PITA for grapple on the bridges. If you were trying to get someone running down the home stretch ramp, that does fail LoS check even when common sense says it shouldn't.

You have to just get used to when it probably won't work, which is unfortunately some of the times you most want it to. But it works like a charm on runners and for yanking people into toxic waste.

You should also take in to account that when youre playing with lvl 50's, chances are they are smarter and will use abilities that prevent all cc effects on them before they run over the line to prevent being grappled away or into the insta death wall.

I've also had issues using grapple right as the white resolve bar finishes depleting, so I would recommend waiting a second after it fully diminishes

Since 1.1 I've been having a ton of issues with my grapple, I'm not lvl 50 (42 or so) and don't have the stun but I would say it works fully about 1/2 the time.

Most of the times when it fails it shoots out, wraps them up and then just nothing happens, often it will pull them but drop them somewhere in the middle.

So in a round of Huttball today, I had Grapple fail to do anything eight times over the course of the match...this resulted in two enemy goals that would've easily been prevented. So, I know there are diminishing returns on CC, but I'd never had this happen til I hit 50. My build, however, now includes the 3 second immobilize on Grapple...does having that skill make Grapple not work because of diminishing returns, or was I just lucky up til now?

YES! Something broke or was changed with the patch, I absolutely refuse to believe otherwise. It was clear from my very first WZ.

I'm a valor rank 56 Powertech, so you can bet I know all about grapple, resolve bars, etc. The first time it failed yesterday, I wrote it off to a full resolve bar and just not noticing it. But the 2nd time, I watched carefully, and they had NO resolve -- they'd just run into combat from respawn, and hadn't been touched yet.

I do not expect an official response, but we probably need to monitor this and try to figure out the issue.

There are a lot of lag issues with grapple since the effect is not instant. Forget resolve and buffs. Those aren't the issue here. You can grapple someone vulnerable and in range but if they sprint away or los before the effect actually takes place then it doesn't work.

Animations + Instant cast != Instant cast.

Edited by darkrom