Focus or vigilance for leveling?

Fryseboks

Hello there, recently started a guardian alt.

Reading these forums I got the impression that focus is the way to go, at least for PvP, and maybe solo PvE.

What is the general verdict? And I should probably first pick up the 3/3 talent in vigilance that increases force sweep damage anyway?

Thanks in advance for helpful replies :)

I'm not sure what the consensus is, but at level 44 the spec I am liking best is a hybrid Defense/Vigilance one:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500dMG0kZhGrMMhzzM.1

I'd suggest skipping Shien form. I've specced into it a few times, and each time I end up questing in Sorensu form anyway.

I went up the Defense tree first, but I think either way would have been fine. I didn't have any trouble with any elites like some others here did, so I guess my experience was above average. I usually stick with Kira for killing speed, though Doc makes a tough fight easy if I'm feeling lazy.

Actually if you're going DPS Vigilance, I would actually recommend you get shien. Even if you're a DPS/Tank hybrid depending on mood, get shien.

You'll find it's a lot easier to use your skills and generate focus, only use sorseu when you absolutely have to.

Shien's refund of focus points helps a lot, and while people claim that sorseu is the way to go, sorseu has its disadvantages too (lack of focus generation specifically).

Edited by GarfieldJL

Actually if you're going DPS Vigilance, I would actually recommend you get shien. Even if you're a DPS/Tank hybrid depending on mood, get shien.

You'll find it's a lot easier to use your skills and generate focus, only use sorseu when you absolutely have to.

Shien's refund of focus points helps a lot, and while people claim that sorseu is the way to go, sorseu has its disadvantages too (lack of focus generation specifically).

I agree here. Leveling as Vigilance. Just got to 30. Shien is necessary. I get focus starved in Soresu. With Shien I basically have unlimited focus. Well with my new Overhead Slash I have to watch it a bit :D

Soresu is only good if you play tank.

If you're just looking for an effective leveling build level Defense. You still kill pretty quickly and can afford to keep your DPS companion out. Plus, you can easily solo most heroic 2's with your healer companion and you'll rarely, rarely die. Just my 2 cents.