James Ohlen discusses the challenges of building a Star Wars MMO.

Hanni

I laughed my *** off at that, too. Classic politician-speak.

He's totally right...people absolutely do praise the storytelling and the choices...and nothing else.

All the features they told us would be in the game are in. He mentioned they're on top of weekly bug patches..

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll speak even more simply then

I liked the down-home talk better. You're rather scary without it :)

Cue the clown music again, BW; see if you can make it through just one week without one of your team getting laughed off the page.

And if I was in the position that Mr. Ohlen was in, giving that interview, I would have written on my hand with a Sharpie, "DON'T MENTION WoW!"

All the features they told us would be in the game are in. He mentioned they're on top of weekly bug patches..

Yeah I should have paid more attention before buying the game. Then I would realized it was KOTOR 3 with some multiplayer support, and not a new hobby for serious MMO players. Would have been a lot less disappointed.

Out of curiosity. Does anyone have a total development cost for WoW since it's first inception? My guess is they have spent far more than 200 million dollars over the games life span to incorporate, over seven years of existence, industry standard features.

My point. WoW han't had most of these features for over half of it's life. Until the middle of Lich King we were all LFG in channels. And cross server battle grounds were at first said to be impossible. How much time and money did cost before they had a solution?

Give it time. Play the game. Or don't and leave. Picketing the general forum with nerd rage and your bitter disappointment does nothing but expose you all as children.

Make a statement to the devs. Cancel your sub. They don't read the general forum. Nor does anyone who isn't a troll.

And for the record I have experienced little to no bugs. Performance on my middling machine has been excellent. And I've had no problems pvping or finding groups for quests or FPS in a more traditional manner.

If I did, I would have cancelled quietly already.

Give it time. Play the game. Or don't and leave. Picketing the general forum with nerd rage and your bitter disappointment does nothing but expose you all as children.

Make a statement to the devs. Cancel your sub. They don't read the general forum. Nor does anyone who isn't a troll.

You truly hate this game, don't you.

"Picketing the general forum with nerd rage" has already led to BioWare investigating and working on fixes for many serious issues.

Please stop being such a hater. Telling people to unsub will not help the game in any way.

Yeah, It's just a shame Areanet have said they don't feel like their game needs any endgame raids ect.

Good job there is no subscription.

you misunderstand the "no endgame raids" thing.

Endgame =/= raids.

infact I'd say alot of what went wrong with wow was that endgame = raids and nothing else for far too long.

I'm not going to try to convince you to play gw2, just wanted to point out that you are basing your comment on a false premise.

With regards to swtor, I really really hope they look at alternative progression paths other than raids (ops). Maybe go look at Rift a bit, they have solo/duo instances, dynamic events, instant quest grouping, multiple teir instances, casual raids, hard raids and a specificly harder max level zone with on demand dynamic events. Not saying swtor needs to copy, but I do think BW should really look at alternative progression models other than large group instanced set pieces. No matter how good raids are, there are only so many times you can move out of "generic fire effect 3" before it becomes a bit samey.

Edited by Cameirus

I'll speak even more simply then, if his definitions of standard do not match our definitions of standard, that is a) further proof of the disconnect he has with the playerbase, and b) not a good sign for the future of the game. Getting a poll of only 2000 is terrible when polls are so easily scalable online; you dont have a significant overhead once the framework is inplace. To put it more simply, it takes no extra manpower to poll 200000 people than 2000, at least ingame.

As for the yap about spellin and 'sultin and such... Pot callin the kettle black, there, son.

And you are the playerbase...or the folks that have left are the playerbase? May I submit the notion that neither of you might be the playerbase at all?

Also, polls by professional pollsters in my country of 16 million are often conducted with less than 2000 participants and are considered accurate, this is why statistics is taught in universities.

Edited by MrTijger

I liked the down-home talk better. You're rather scary without it :)

Cue the clown music again, BW; see if you can make it through just one week without one of your team getting laughed off the page.

And if I was in the position that Mr. Ohlen was in, giving that interview, I would have written on my hand with a Sharpie, "DON'T MENTION WoW!"

Well shucks, if some young pup cant unnerstand plain speakin, well, you gotta talk serious like.

My point. WoW han't had most of these features for over half of it's life. Until the middle of Lich King we were all LFG in channels.

Instances were located in the same area as quests of the same level. So you actually found people in those channels who wanted to do it.

They weren't located in a completely different zone with a chat channel you couldn't reach.

This is good design (instances) vs bad design (flashpoints).

"Picketing the general forum with nerd rage" has already led to BioWare investigating and working on fixes for many serious issues.

Please stop being such a hater. Telling people to unsub will not help the game in any way.

Unsubbing is the clearest message to say you are unhappy with a game.

You think posting in one of hundreds of rage filled threads on a general forum is doing anything positive? It's not. Devs aren't looking for feed backs from the same 25 people making new " this game isn't what I wanted it to be threads. Please agree with me and take up my rage to help justify my decision."

I love this game. And after playing MMO's as long as I have I know the sooner people like you are gone the better things will be for the community.

Please. Find an MMO without bugs, performance issues and all of the industry standard features you desire and play that game instead. Then make positive comments about it in their own general forum.

And you are the playerbase...or the folks that have left are the playerbase? May I submit the notion that neither of you might be the playerbase at all?

Also, polls by professional pollsters in my country of 16 million are often conducted with less than 2000 participants and are considered accurate, this is why statistics is taught in universities.

Shoot, if I play the game, im a player, aint I? Not really sure I understand whatyer gettin at, with all your fancy talk. We eat Pace salsa around here, none of the new york citified hoity toity food!

if players aint the playerbase, who is?

Makin about as much sense as bacon with no fat!

lordy, I was just appreciatin how difficult it must be for all them fancy computer people to make this here show so darn tootin innertainin! I haven't had dis much fun watching a puppet show since 'ol Jeb got hisself drunk on moonshine and tried to do rocky horror pitture shew wit a sock and his momma lip color!

But, less be honest, dis here game got more bugs than a pile of Bessies cow plop.

Oh god, its like I'm reading Huckleberry Finn again...

Threads like these don't help the game in any way either. Unless you think full on bashing of a guy who works for BioWare will somehow help the game? Have you ever seen an interview with a game dev (who is currently working on the game being discussed) badmouth their own product? I sure haven't.

Flat out mindless bashing helps nothing, never has and never will. What would help is mature, constructive posts that contain no hyperbole, ranting, crying, bashing, claiming to speak for "everyone" and hate. Too bad this forum (and every other MMO forum in existence) contains too little of the former and far, far too much of the latter. So what we get is full on flame wars between the "trolls" and the "fanboys" that drowns out the few constructive threads that pop up.

Instances were located in the same area as quests of the same level. So you actually found people in those channels who wanted to do it.

They weren't located in a completely different zone with a chat channel you couldn't reach.

This is good design (instances) vs bad design (flashpoints).

You had to be in that zone though. So if you were leveling to 20 in Kalimdor too bad for a dead mines run.

People on my server are asking for fp groups in zones of a similar level. Or they go to fleet. A central hub for anyone who wants to run any fp no matter what. Honestly I've never had an issue getting a group in fleet for any instance as everyone congregates here for it. As they did for end game in Ironforge before LFG tool.

Bad example. Face the fact. All that tool did was make people lazy.

Threads like these don't help the game in any way either. Unless you think full on bashing of a guy who works for BioWare will somehow help the game? Have you ever seen an interview with a game dev (who is currently working on the game being discussed) badmouth their own product? I sure haven't.

No one expects them to badmouth the game....

However, acknowledging bugs would go a long way to building confidence. There ARE problem, and they need fixing. I dont think anyone expects that to happen tomorrow, but if Ohlen comes out with this crap, we get the impression the devs are not playing the same game...and we wonder why they kept the decent version for themselves.

He can be diplomatic and positive, sure. But the picture he paints is not so much rosy, but delusional.

Edited by Cameirus

Flat out mindless bashing helps nothing, never has and never will. What would help is mature, constructive posts that contain no hyperbole, ranting, crying, bashing, claiming to speak for "everyone" and hate. Too bad this forum (and every other MMO forum in existence) contains too little of the former and far, far too much of the latter. So what we get is full on flame wars between the "trolls" and the "fanboys" that drowns out the few constructive threads that pop up.

you gotta figure this like a vitternarian.

Bugs is like fleas, see?

How you know if fido got fleas? Well, he scratches at 'em like a tarnation.

If the dog stops scratchin, well he either aint got fleas no more, or he dead.

I think we all hope the vitternarian is payin attention to all the scratchin, cause all he seems to be sayin is "po'boy just getting used to his new collar".

I heard of old dogs learnin new tricks, but not no dead dogs.

However, acknowledging bugs would go a long way to building confidence. There ARE problem, and they need fixing. I dont think anyone expects that to happen tomorrow, but if Ohlen comes out with this crap, we get the impression the devs are not playing the same game...and we wonder why they kept the decent version for themselves.

He can be diplomatic and positive, sure. But the picture he paints is not so much rosy, but delusional.

They do acknowledge bugs, read the forums, use the dev tracker. Anyone who thinks for a second they aren't aware of the bugs and problems this game has are the ones who are delusional.

That article was an interview with a gaming site, evidently to promote the game, it's nothing new we've seen it hundreds of times with hundreds of games. It was not meant to acknowledge the game's bugs and problems to forum goers who already know them.

You have to read between the lines a bit, but I think it's the best and most honest interview he's given to date.

He says essentially, they spent most of their resources on story and voice acting, and they are happy with what they did there. But they realize that they're missing a ton of modern MMO features and people are bailing due to that. They're scrambling to catch up, but they're way overworked, and they're trying to plug the gap with rapid content releases.

All in all, a true story.

Edited by drbeat

Look he's the game producer who oversees everything. He won't go tell the specifics of what exactly the game bugs are unless asked. It's assumed that (just like every other MMO) this game has a few bugs to iron out. He mentions that they have to make sure they stay on top of weekly bug patches.

The picture is just as rosy as described because he mentions how big the challenges are. We, the forum people, know what the bugs are and considering what BW has already addressed as far as issues they're looking into, the situation really is not bad right now.

We're really blowing the few bugs out of proportion.

Unless you think full on bashing of a guy who works for BioWare will somehow help the game... Flat out mindless bashing helps nothing...

Firstly, I would never bash a fellow Canadian. Except for Luongo.

Secondly, I agree that mindless bashing helps nothing, but I also know the difference between bashing and criticism.

Also: WHEN?

C'mon, tell me I don't love this game :)

Shoot, if I play the game, im a player, aint I? Not really sure I understand whatyer gettin at, with all your fancy talk. We eat Pace salsa around here, none of the new york citified hoity toity food!

if players aint the playerbase, who is?

Makin about as much sense as bacon with no fat!

I dont live in the US and english is not my native language, I'm sorry if I have confused you by using words longer than four letters. I understand that some areas have issues with literacy but please, do not let that deter you in any way.

Playerbase means the intended target audience, FPS players are not the target audience, people who just want a new WoW are not the target audience. If those concepts are too complex for you, well...that's your problem then :)

If you picked up a flagship FPS today and it didn't have internet multiplayer, would you be fine with that because Doom 2 only had LAN support? No! TCP/IP multiplayer is what you expect in a modern FPS.

If I buy an FPS and it uses TCP for networking I'm probably going to laugh my *** off and not bother with the multiplayer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.