Easy fix to help RNG Champ bags

alanos

TL;DR version: make sure every 8-th champ bag has guaranteed token drop. If your token drops sooner, the counter is reset.

Goal: to help even the chances of getting champ tokens between the lucky and the unlucky players.

Time-sink premise: a person must not receive more than 2 unique champ pieces of gear per week.

Put in other words - WoWalike MMO business model that is in place now

Math - how many bags can an average PvPer earn in a week:

- assumption 1 - Ilum daily is doable

- assumption 2 - WZ win-loss ratio is 50-50

- approximation 1 - WZ win awards 100 commendations

- approximation 2 - WZ loss awards 50 commendations

Number of attainable champ bags: 7 (Ilum daily) + 7 (WZ win daily) + 3 (WZ win weekly) + 3 (Ilum weekly) + 4 (WZ commendations: 21 win * 100 + 21 loss * 50 = 3200)

Total number of attainable champ bags: 24

Taking the 24 bags back to the time-sink premise and having in mind duplicates are possible and their chance increases as player becomes more geared --> every 8th bag should have a guaranteed token drop. If you get a token before your 8th bag, the counter resets.

Conclusion: by implementing this small change a very lucky player (no duplicates!) would be champ geared in minimum 5 weeks (14 slots / 3 champ items a week) and the unlucky ones would at least have some sense of reward coming from essentially a flawed RNG system - by having a GUARANTEED drop every 8th bag.

*DISCLAIMER: my opinion is that RNG is a terribly flawed, unrewarding system and that the above stated time-sink-money-making premise could be achieved by using a system that is more fun and rewarding. However atm we're stuck with RNG so this thread is a proposal for an easy quick improvement*

If this idea appeals to anyone, please comment and bump :)

Edited by alanos

After getting 70-ish bags and sill missing two pieces of armor and main hand, I approve this system. I myself wonder why it wasn't a system where for each time you DIDN'T get a token you have a better chance the next time.

One of my guildmates opened 6 bags and got a main-hand, helmet, boots, and gloves.

I had a streak of 20-30 where I got nothing and when I finally got something, it was another pair of gloves. :mad:

However, I dont approve the cap on tokens per week. Especially when the chance of duplicates is still present and Battlemasters can now pick their gear.

Edited by Toochbag

However, I dont approve the cap on tokens per week. Especially when the chance of duplicates is still present and Battlemasters can now pick their gear.

Probably it was my bad english, I'm not native ^^

To clarify: there would be NO cap on maximum bags each week. Math only shows average weekly number of attainable bags

Actually I was referring to the cap on tokens per week. While I hate the luck based system, if you put a 2 token cap per week on, if somebody gets lucky with their first two bags they'll just stockplie bags for the next week because they KNOW they can't get anymore that week.

On average doing just the daily's and weekly's you get about 20 bags (not counting purchased ones). If you would give a token every 8 bags guaranteed and then have a cap on tokens attainable per week, the system kills itself.

With luck you get two tokens in the first two bags. This give you 18 bags to save for a token try for the next week.

Or if you have no luck whatsoever and you have a guaranteed drop at 8 bags, but the cap is 2 tokens. That totals up to 16 bags with 4 left over for the next week.

If anything the total bags from just the daily's and weekly's is 20 bags. You should have a guaranteed drop at 10 bags with no cap on tokens. This way players will get at least 2 tokens (with possibility of duplicates) and incentive to USE all of the bags that week.

Edited by Toochbag

Actually I was referring to the cap on tokens per week. While I hate the luck based system, if you put a 2 token cap per week on, if somebody gets lucky with their first two bags they'll just stockplie bags for the next week because they KNOW they can't get anymore that week.

You mean the time-sink premise? That premise is not mine, it's Bioware's. The fact is SWTOR is modeled after WoW, and a premise of having to grind for improvements is fundamental to WoW, and thus SWTOR.

That premise is there whether we like it or not. Why otherwise even design an RNG system unless wanting players to grind for gear.

True but having that cap destroys the system. On of my guildmembers has gotten 4 different pices of champ gear in 6 bags this week. If there is a cap, its pretty high, your proposed cap would make it more difficult to gear while ALSO maintaining the possibility of duplicates.

Therefore the idea of the cap system is flawed.

Edited by Toochbag

True but having that cap destroys the system. On of my guildmembers has gotten 4 different pices of champ gear in 6 bags this week. If there is a cap, its pretty high, your proposed cap would make it more difficult to gear while ALSO maintaining the possibility of duplicates.

Therefore the idea of the cap system is flawed.

I'm not proposing an idea of cap. I'm saying that from Bioware's perspective, a player shouldn't get more than 2 pieces of gear a week. An actual direct cap doesn't exist in the game but the RNG system is an indirect cap achieving exactly the time-sink premise without drawing black on white "Guys we don't want you to get gear fast"

I hope I've been clear this time :)

Right, but there are time sinks and then there are just stupid elements. From Bioware's standpoint the only thing they need to do is add a programming code that says every time you DON'T get a token the chance to get one increases by 5%.

I dont care if people are lucky enough to get gear a little faster because of sheer luck. I HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES when I had a streak of 30 bags with no tokens and when I finally got on it was a duplicate.