Combat, blade rush replaces slash, or does it?

JC_Savage

When I first looked at it I assumed that blade rush would replace slash as soon as i had the points to talent it, but on further inspection I'm not sure that it does.

Basically both moves have the same focus cost, slash does more damage, but the auto atrau strike from blade rush brings it up to the same level. However so long as you keep the buff up from blade rush slash has a 50% chance to cause an atrau strike, i.e. a 50% chance to do more damage.

At 50 you also have enough points to take the talent from focus that gives slash a 30% increased crit chance.

I'm only level 46 so perhaps the relative levels of damage will change at 50 but I don't think so.

I could be mistaken, perhaps there is something that I have overlooked, any thoughts on this?

<sigh>

Alright, here's the deal.

Ataru form and Blade Rush have 30% boost critical strike damage from Saber Storm.

Blade Rush automatically procs once, and CAN proc a second time. My running theory on this is that the 2nd proc is the offhand proc.

Also, at 50, you don't have enough points to be realistically taking Swift Slash (which is 15% crit, not 30%). It's not better than the above bonuses anyway.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501ocZuGMbddrRrsZh.1

This is the current Combat build i run for PvE and PvP. The necessary points in Quick Recovery, Focused Slash, and the PvP talents don't let you go anywhere near that Slash talent.

If you purely optimize the build for PvE, this is what you get.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bcZuGrdddMoMsZG.1

So, no. Slash is not viable for a Combat build.

Cheers bud,

Sabre storm is the thing I over looked, I was also unaware of the possible second strike on a blade rush, until I read what I assume was your post on another thread (naturally after I started this one).

You've just freed up a slot on my action bar, and simplified my "rotation".

Cheers bud,

Sabre storm is the thing I over looked, I was also unaware of the possible second strike on a blade rush, until I read what I assume was your post on another thread (naturally after I started this one).

You've just freed up a slot on my action bar, and simplified my "rotation".

What's the point of Debilitation? Isn't it broken? How do you not have Focused Leap? It's pretty much getting free focus every time you engage. What's the point of quick recovery? Sweep and Cyclone Slash are both pretty useless.

Edited by PantsOn

What's the point of Debilitation? Isn't it broken? How do you not have Focused Leap? It's pretty much getting free focus every time you engage. What's the point of quick recovery? Sweep and Cyclone Slash are both pretty useless.

I may be wrong here (play Guardian not Sentinel) but those two are very useful in PVP, Sweep especially if you go Focus. Reducing a cooldown on your only AoE attacks is rarely a usless investment.

force sweep is the central move on the focus tree, but Ataru form is mored of a single target style of fighting.

My Question is why put points in steadfast?

3 points for 3% more accuracy? My force accuracy at level 50 is like 115%, and my normal accuracy is at like 104%. What benefit does pushing those up even more give you?

I may be wrong here (play Guardian not Sentinel) but those two are very useful in PVP, Sweep especially if you go Focus. Reducing a cooldown on your only AoE attacks is rarely a usless investment.

Indeed. He is, however, a Combat sentinel.

force sweep is the central move on the focus tree, but Ataru form is mored of a single target style of fighting.

My Question is why put points in steadfast?

3 points for 3% more accuracy? My force accuracy at level 50 is like 115%, and my normal accuracy is at like 104%. What benefit does pushing those up even more give you?

Every % over 100 in accuracy coverts to armour pen, usefull against bosses, not so much against light armour! Imho very usefull for PvE and tank killing for PvP

I've got that point in Quick Recovery for being able to use Cyclone Slash and Sweep as Capture Interrupts, yes.

Good question on Steadfast, one of my recent theories has been proven wrong (OH hits proccing Ataru), so I'd likely recommend to spec out of Steadfast once you have accuracy >103%.