The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Does this still hold true?

DurdensWrath

you want to hit the softcap with your shield, which is 50%. Between ion cylinder, and the talents in deep tree shieldtech, it shouldnt be that tough.

Defense is always good, and absorb also softcaps at 50, but shield is how your build works.

If you look at your shield tree, there are 2 core mechanics that dictate our actions- the first is shield venting. Shield an attack, get a 50% chance to vent 8 heat, every six seconds. Since your job is to run up to people and punch them in the face until either you or they die, I wouldn't be to worried about the "50%" or the "every six seconds" part.

The second important talent is Flame Shield, which grants you a 25% to refresh your rocket punch every 4.5 seconds, and Again- since your job is to run up to mobs and punch them until you or they die, not worried about chances of it going off.

So you see, our best damage option, and our best class resource option (in shieldtech) work off of the idea that your shield is popping consistently.

The build looks pretty solid. If you are having threat problems on single targets you might consider putting 2 points into Iron Fist. But chances are you will do just fine with that build.

I see that you didnt talent Neural Overload which is probably for the best when you are tanking pve content as it will slow down targets you are trying to round up. If you decide to pvp tank however, you might consider putting a point in it since it makes Rocket Punch have a guaranteed chance to apply a slow to your target.

No.

Shield Rating = Absorb >>> Defense Rating.

I disagree with this person entirely.

You had it right OP. Defense rating is the strongest of all defensive stats in terms of DR per point, and is the best choice for every tank and should remain so until you hit the soft cap (~30%). Shield rating is next because you have abilities and effects proc off your shields. Absorb is = to shield rating in terms of DR but you have talents that give you benefits on shield chance, and thus shield chance is more useful than absorb.

Edited by Mhak

Defense is not the best DR per point in most situations.

You get 0.04% chance to avoid an attack per point (that's without Diminishing Returns).

Absorb Rating for example is 0.11% damage reduction to shielded attacks per point (again, pre-Diminishing Returns). So if you have more than 37% Shielded Attacks, Absorb Rating is better than Defense.

And that's near 0 Defense and 0 Absorb, are you increase Defense, Absorb is better with less % of Shielded Attacks.

Also, people overestimate Shield Rating and the effect on our procs. Well, people also overestimate the effect of procs, as they tend to forget they have internal cooldown, and that not always a proc produces an extra attack on the case of Rocket Punch.

With my gear for example, I need to increase my Shield Rating by ~1400 to get an extra Rocket Punch per minute on average.

Also increasing my Shield Rating by 100, Shield Vents give me an extra 3.5 heat per minute on average, or an extra skill per 4.5 minutes.

As the great majority of pve engagements do not last into the 'minutes', you should be looking at the burst effect of shield vents and flame shield, not the long term effect.

With proper shield chance, when I'm AoE tanking 6-8 mobs at a time, I should be getting in at least two, sometimes three, free flamethrower, flame sweep, or explosive dart casts before they go down. You also have to consider that venting that 8 heat when you shield an attack is likely to keep you in a higher heat dissipation range, which ends up effectively being more than the 8 heat the talent itself lists.

imo there is no single most important stat of the 3.

Absorb might be neglectable to some degree.

Shield is important to actually be able to vent in longer fights

Defense is equally important to avoid damage alltogether and thus gain survivability

absorb is just something attached to shield rating, 2% up or down doesnt really matter imo

As the great majority of pve engagements do not last into the 'minutes', you should be looking at the burst effect of shield vents and flame shield, not the long term effect.

With proper shield chance, when I'm AoE tanking 6-8 mobs at a time, I should be getting in at least two, sometimes three, free flamethrower, flame sweep, or explosive dart casts before they go down. You also have to consider that venting that 8 heat when you shield an attack is likely to keep you in a higher heat dissipation range, which ends up effectively being more than the 8 heat the talent itself lists.

If you wanna gear for AOE tanking, yeah, Shield Rating is good. Nobody can discuss that. But I don't think the trash mobs are hard enough for gearing toward them, but that's everyone choice.

Also Absorb is easily the best mitigation stat and people ignores it, is just sad.

Edited by MorningMusume

Is it not "shield = defense > absorb" because of the few damage types that you can actually shield?

Trying to get my Tank gear together, and seeing much defense rating on those items :confused:

You can only shield certain types of damage? What can't you shield?

Also Absorb is easily the best mitigation stat and people ignores it, is just sad.

Because Absorb only mitigates a percentage of damage from a percentage of attacks. If you dodge an attack (defense) you're mitigating 100% of whatever percentage your dodge rating is at.

I think I'm going to go with shield > defense > absorb and see how that works out for me.

You don’t really have to go Shield >Def> Absorb as that’s basically how you end up at 50 with the best crafted items (I know I did) .

If you do the IIlum Daily 2+ Poisonous quest you get a purple enhancement as a reward that has 30 End, 39 Shield and 15 Absorb

If you do the Belsavis Daily 2+ Freeing the Fallen you get a Mod with X Aim, X End and +8 defense.

Add all those to the purple crafted stuff you can get ( ear, implants , belts and wrist) which all basically have Def and ACC you pretty much end up Shield >Def> Absorb whether you like it or not. The only way I could get my Absorb above 150 was to buy the Master Crafted version of those 5 items and add the +28 Absorb Augment to each.

Edited by Brakner