Why the hate for healers---Dev answer?

Jooji

I'm sure it's been said somewhere in these 14 pages, but I think the reason is because a healer can pretty easily DPS as well (if you're always healing, you're really doing it wrong and not being totally effective), t least enough to get a few of the damage medals. Not every class can get the healing medals. The real issue is with the protection medals. A taunt here and there gets you 3 or 4 medals.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish making comments about my 450k healing got me MVP votes lol. I never get any :(

Yup. I always bring it to the attention of the pugs who was keeping them healed. It rarely results in votes.

I have seen quite a few good healers go dps so they can get more medals. It's too bad as we won a lot more with them healing, because there are so few healers in WZ's on my server now.

I've done the same. In games where I'm healing(not farming medals) we win all of them. In games where I'm farming medals or they Q without me, they lose some games.

Healers whining on medals? Srsly, that's not even funny.

So, default healer medals are:

2,5k single heal - easy

5k single heal - easy

75k healing done - easy

300k healing done - easy (i did 705k on voidstar max, 450k average on all wz)

4 medals just for doing ur job..Lets move on:

10 frags - easy (just tag a player with any dmg)

25 frags - same

75k dmg - easy

Killing blow - easy

Solo kill - doable (someone exits combat at low health - finish him)

2,5k single hit - can be hard for sorc/sage, easy for other healers.

Another 4-6 guaranteed medals...Moving on:

Alderaan: 1k-3k defender points (100% obtainable)

Huttball: 1k defender by attacking enemy carrier/doing killing blow (hard)

Voidstar: defending doors. (hard)

On average I get 9-10 medals depending on a bg PLUS I get at least 2 MVP (worst case), which count as another 2 medals...And I'm a sorc healer. Operatives/Mercs can pump even more.

Also, being a healer favours ALOT in wz, healing the right people (not the one fighting in Africa) will increase your winrate drastically.

so your response to someone saying healers don't get enough medals is "see this list of all the medals you can get by not healing" and we're the dense ones???

I'm sure it's been said somewhere in these 14 pages, but I think the reason is because a healer can pretty easily DPS as well (if you're always healing, you're really doing it wrong and not being totally effective).

That sadly is not entirely true. Sure it is mostly true, but there are extremely competitive matches where I as a healer cannot afford to waste a single global cool down splashing dps around or someone dies. If there is someone helping me heal, well thats a different situation.

I like that this thread doesn't address a larger issue. You do 400k healing in a WZ. The best DPS I've ever seen does less than that. That means that your rate of healing exceeds his rate of DPS. This is the reason why on multiple occasions myself and another raw DPS class have had 5 minute pursuits of healers. Both of us are geared, and we're straight DPS, but by simply running and healing we can't put a scratch on him. It shouldn't be that way. We interrupt his healing spell? He's got 3 more that have the same HPS, why bother?

I like that this thread doesn't address a larger issue. You do 400k healing in a WZ. The best DPS I've ever seen does less than that. That means that your rate of healing exceeds his rate of DPS. This is the reason why on multiple occasions myself and another raw DPS class have had 5 minute pursuits of healers. Both of us are geared, and we're straight DPS, but by simply running and healing we can't put a scratch on him. It shouldn't be that way. We interrupt his healing spell? He's got 3 more that have the same HPS, why bother?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=177659

There you go

I love it! I didn't get killed by a healer and he was able to run away! Time for a forum post to complain about healers!

If the 2 of you are chasing around one healer you're just bad. One good melee can lock down a healer. Maybe not kill him, but keep him from healing his teammates goes a long way.

for all the people that are complaining about healers being super OP in PvP are the same ppl who whineded about Disc priests and tree druids in WoW, ye healers have the thin line between stupid survivable and squishy chew toy but this game has it decently close to the line (close enough where i can destroy healers when i have my CC up). also i get why ppl complain about sorc heals in PvP because they just lay down their purple haze and can do a massive amount of healing if the ranged stand in it, do they usually? no. yes healing should get nerfed alittle in PvP but not down to the damn floor like some idiots are crying for. bind your interrupts and use your knockbacks/downs and you will do fine.

however back to the ACTUAL topic what the OP is saying is if you stick to your spec's main goal and just heal (with the occasional DPS so you dont over heal) then DPS who for the most part will just DPS but throw a heal if needed will get 2-3 more medals. seems unfair if a healer is doing his job and keeping his team alive so they can kill people and not get as much of a reward as actually killing some one.

Edited by Sagejosh

I heal and average 6-8 medals every match. Some are DPS and some are Healing. I can usually get 1-3 votes just by doing that.

Not saying it's not broken, but you can't "JUST" heal as a healer, it doesn't work that way if you want to get medals, so you can get people vote for the top person on the medals list. Besides, it's not really worth it, leave the warzone asap, requeue, play more.