The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Questions on numbers...

DredlyLB

I was looking at some abilities last night and trying to come up with some numbers around which is actually better in several situations... lets hear what everyone has to say (keep it civil and try to use numbers from your char/playing) - I'm lvl 42 BH

- Lets start with FireBug (PT, lvl 5). I'm going to round some numbers for ease of the math (and I'm lazy) and I'm going to assume if you put 1 point in, you will do 2 for a 30% increase

My Rail shot does approx 950 damage (873 - 1088) and my critical multiplier is 50%. So every time I succeed on a crit hit my rail shot will do approx 475 additional damage.

So we have 475 * .30 = 142.5 additional damage per crit

- Now lets look at Puncture. which allows a railshot to ignore 20% of the armor.

Using the same est railshot damage as above (950 damage / hit) and using my AC: 5865 w/ a reduction of approx 45%...

so based on these numbers if I get hit with a 950 point rail shot, I should take approx 522 damage, approx 428 will be absorbed. so if 20% of my armor is ignored, in theory that should mean I will take approx 86 more damage then I would have initially.

so at 60% maxed out my rail shot which would do 522 will instead do about 258 added damage, for a total of 780.

Now that's against Me in my lvl 40 pvp armor, the returns on this ability are greatly diminished because it only affect the amount the armor would negate and the vast majority of classes have substantially less armor then we do.

What do you guys think... is it worth it to get greater armor penetration or greater critical damage bonus?