Security Key Question.

Rilauven

I'm really on the fence about getting a security key. Back when they were they new thing, before even WoW Had them, I had to support authenicators at a tech support job, and I really grew to hate them.

I've got an android phone, so that'll reduce the pain somewhat, but what I'm really hoping to see is the ability to only have to enter the key code when my ip address changes. Does anyone know if this is planned?

Once you enable 2FA you have to use it every time, honestly the thing that annoys me that i still need my password to logon, i have a 20 digit one sadly only basic alpha numeric keyspace since ToR doesn't support special chars properly, and it's quite annoying :p

BTW how can a simple tech support grow to hate 2FA? :) ever tried to develop one? ;)

only basic alpha numeric keyspace since ToR doesn't support special chars properly, and it's quite annoying :p

By "special character" do you mean things like umlaut or tilde or do you mean dollar signs and ampersand?

@OP: nothing has been mentioned. Maybe George will read this and mention it though. Its definitely a feature that would be nice. On the bright side, as it is now if you time out of your server all the way to server select you don't have to re-enter your security key. Its only if you outright close the game.

Edited by aznthecapn

!@#$%^ :) they don't support all or any since the random pass i generated didn't work and i was CBA to check which if any of the special chars causing the issue... At least the passwords here are case sensitive unlike WoW :D

I have a $ in my password, works fine.

I have a $ in my password, works fine.

Oh really what else you have there? as i said i had much more including ';:@./<> etc's at least 5 special ones and i was CBA to check which one doesn't work especially since i use the security key..

Oh really what else you have there? as i said i had much more including ';:@./<> etc's at least 5 special ones and i was CBA to check which one doesn't work especially since i use the security key..

The rest is letters and numbers. In all honesty, and don't take this personally, I get the need for account security, but do you NEED all those special characters? Is your password an incredibly complex Kirby ascii? If you have a security key, one or two should suffice.

The rest is letters and numbers. In all honesty, and don't take this personally, I get the need for account security, but do you NEED all those special characters? Is your password an incredibly complex Kirby ascii? If you have a security key, one or two should suffice.

Numbers and letters you say? how many in which order?

but any how :)

i always use 120bit passwords i store them as keyfiles on a hardware token and access them when needed the token is pin protected and will be wiped after 3 failed attempts.

Edited by San-Holo

Are you tired of trying to remember your password?

does your normal password end up so complex it stumps the "Enigma machine"?

Then you need a "Security key"!!!!

I like two factor authentication. It's not really any more inconvenient when logging in to game, you only have to enter it when you login via the launcher. After that it just carries around an authentication token.

The only other times you need it are when you login to the website - but that only has to be done once and after the forums are made RO or closed for maintenance - and when you want to modify your account information - which is sensible.

I much prefer a hardware key to requiring complex passwords. My key just lives at home, owing to the fact that home is the only place I login to the game or the forum.

Overly complex passwords actually result in a degrading of security, not an increase. They become harder to remember, which results in people writing them down or otherwise storing them.

Telling people to change their passwords regularly, or use a different password for everything, just makes it even harder to remember them and increases the chances of people writing them down still further.

None of the common password requirements make it any harder for a computer to brute force someone's password.

Most people use dictionary words or names, with common letter substitutions and upper casing to fulfil the numeric and mixed case requirements. That kind of habit is just asking for a computer to use a moderately intelligent brute force to find them.

I feel like using an obligatory link to xkcd now: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png :s

My friend had a authenticator on his Android phone, but he messed up his phone and had no way of reinstalling the authenticator to access his account. Had to call support and now he can't use a Android authenticator ever again.

I've also been told that under terms of use, EA will monitor who you call or something...? I'm not sure if this was a joke or not.

I've also been told that under terms of use, EA will monitor who you call or something...? I'm not sure if this was a joke or not.

That's just the tinfoil hat brigade wilfully misinterpreting the standard T&Cs.

Although I wouldn't be at all surprised to one day find some idiot manager or exec though it would be a good idea. I suspect it's all kinds of illegal in a lot of countries, regardless of whether you consent accepted some EULA or not.