'True' Jedi Roleplay must be TERRIBLE!

SilverSomething

Obi-Wan just seemed to be almost completely centered throughout the whole series. He yells at Anakin, laughs, makes sarcastic comments, and obviously holds very strong feelings for his Padawan. But in the end, he nearly kills Anakin, says his piece, disarms him (literally), and walks away.

Wether or not he seemed calm, that is probably the worst example of emotional failure ever. From all appearances he walked away because he couldn't bring himself to kill Vader. He still saw him as Anakin, his former padawan, his "brother" as he calls him in the movie. After he was "reconstructed" Vader continued to hunt down Jedi, and pretty much finished off any chance of the old jedi order coming back. All because Obi-Wan couldn't bring himself to destroy a Sith he was attached to.

While some might think he thought Vader was no longer a threat... He knew he had failed, as he reported his failure to Yoda.

Imo of course - I still say the Jedi policy of shunning emotions and attachments is flawed. Its a system set up to fail. When you spend all your life suppressing or ignoring how you realy feel and avoiding attachments, then you are ill equiped to handle such feelings if something extremely emotional does occur. Would have been much better had they accepted the way things are and tought the jedi how to cope (reach peace) even with them. And teach them not to let those emotions guide them. Taking potential jedi as children, sheltering them away from the world, and having them avoid attachments just gets them less practice at life.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no Emotion there is Peace. I know that it means:

It is not to say that emotion does not exist but that it ought to be set aside. Emotions must be understood first, and it is a young Jedi's duty to explore his feelings. Unless a Jedi can confront his thoughts and feelings, he will never achieve peace. Emotions, then, are not to be overcome or denied, but rather understood and dealt with.

Aka: A jedi must not let his/her emotions get the better of him/her but, must set the persons emotions aside. This means that if a person's family member, lets say Brother, joins the sith, they must be killed even if their brother is their best friend. A human being wouldn't kill his/her brother even if they joined the dark side.

Also, there are 3 diffrent jedi codes. I put the one that was revised by Odan-????

Absolutly nonsense..... the codex just says that you must not draw your power of emotions like the sith do. If some people would rather compare the codex of both side and the teachings and instructions you get as sith ( barras refers alot to it in the story arc of the warrior) its quite simple to understand. Jedi have to show mercy... also based on emotions, isnt it? They just don't use the emotions to use the force like sith do.

Or better said: they dont rely on emotions neither in decisions nor in forcestuff.

Edited by Seldeon

Um.... In the Jedi knight Story This Is actually addressed... I won't post spoilers, But Trust me It DOES get addressed.

Moving Past that, The jedi Do NOT oppose Emotions they oppose attachments and they oppose acting rashly based On emotions.

Attachments can lead to jealousy and anger which can lead to the dark side.

I think the Fun in Rp comes from making LS or Ds choices and when to be neutral... I know you're asking about a "True Jedi"...but even Following the Light path only does have some choices that can effect story but not alignment and there are some interesting results.

Also since MOST people who are deep into RP, usually continue Their own RP into endgame content and Often include things that Never actually happen in game as part of their own personal story I would assume they can just sort of Include their own story into that and make choices based on their characters RP not the games systems.

If they're on the forums does that count?

Well, you could probably argue that a lot of posters in General Discussion are Dark Side by definition ;D

I'd like to call my Bethan a Jedi, and a light-side one as well. This despite her punching a Twi'lek matriarch in the face at one point. Though she gained Dark Side points for that, it wasn't *really* a dark side action, since it was an effort at controlling a bad temper that might, otherwise, have ended up with the matriarch getting killed.

Beth *knows* she has a bad temper. Does that stop her being a Jedi? No. Actually, it means she knows that mantra very well, since she quite often recites it (which is the point of a mantra) in a 'counting to ten' sort of way, in order to calm herself down and prevent herself doing anything unwise.

She's flawed- she killed Bengel Morr's apprentice- but spared him, having learned from that initial angry mistake over the intervening eight levels or so.

So... anger.

Sense of humour... well, she names her lightsabres Pinky and Perky, and has been known to wiggle her fingers at people just to make them worry that she *might* be Force Persuading them, in addition to occasionally introducing T-7 to people as "Grand Master T-7.

Do those habits, or the flirting at every (annoyingly rare) opportunity stop her being a 'true' Jedi?

I don't think so, really. Humour is a tool of enlightenment, after all, and flirting... does not equal "romantic attachment". Of course, it *could* lead to that... but, in itself, none of that is in any way incompatible with the goal of not being driven by one's emotions against one's own judgement.

There is NO emotion.

It's funny to see all these Jedi fanbois come out of the woodworks and try to insert their own interpretation so they don't come off like mindless followers of some foolish code. Face it, you have emotion. Your code is flawed.

You are looking at it literally. It is not meant literally. ;)