Allow the great Kettlebell assist you with the greatness of Riposte.

Asphen

Okay, I've been reading the forums, soaking up information. I want to give back. I'll help explain Riposte for those that are having a hard time with it.

Riposte isn't on the global cooldown. So that totally means you can deal riposte damage while rushing through your standard GCD attacks.

Is Riposte worth it? I totally think so. Go ahead and add up the value of your Riposte damage, plus the damage of your Focus builder (since they will be hitting at the same time), and see if that comes out ahead of whatever else you were going to use that Focus for.

This way, you decide for yourself based on your spec and gear if it is worth it to you or not.

Using Riposte:

- You first need a successful parry/deflect. Then you will glow funny colors, noise, and the Riposte tooltip will finally light up.

- Quickly press Riposte! This will break whatever sword animation you are currently in.

- don't worry, you will still inflict the damage from whatever sword swing you were doing, and damage from Riposte as well.

- Quickly press your next attack! You must break the animation of Riposte with your next sword swing to get your mad deeps.

So, you know, it's hard to explain, but it totally reminds me of when I used to play Ken on Street Fighter II. You would hit someone with a hard punch, and then cancel that animation with a Dragon Punch animation. The end result was you hit the person a bunch o' times. Riposte works the same way in SWTOR.

There are alot of buggy attacks in this game atm, but Riposte is working extremely well. Enjoy, and start using it as intended, instead of letting it sit there on your hotbar without any loving.

Hi Asphen

Quoting in the erased OP... maybe because I'm trollin'... maybe because I want to see where this topic goes.

Looks like time for a metamacro for one of the mouse buttons. Thanks for the information.
IMHO, solely based on the fact that is has such a "high" focus cost, Riposte should be kept off-macro. Reason being, that it could interfere with your rotations. The lone exception might be with a Combat build, which I feel is considerably less rotation-minded and lacks focus-intensive abilities.

Riposte, to me, is something only to be used when you have plenty of excess focus or when short-term, burst DPS is desirable (such as in PvP.) Now, I can no longer log in to check the numbers due to account expiration (bugs got the best of me,) but if I'm not mistaken, in any given build, Riposte is actually one of our least efficient focus-to-damage skills.

It could be argued that, since it resides off-GCD, it will almost certainly be better DPS than whatever else you might have had planned for that focus, even in an extended encounter. To that, I would suggest that any PvE build worth it's salt being used in an environment in which DPS is a critical issue should not be taking damage often enough to proc Riposte on enough encounters in the first place such that it is worth maintaining the high focus (using Strike more often) needed to ensure no disruption to their rotation. As always, there are exceptions, so if you find yourself in such an encounter, maybe it's worth considering...

Edited by Fascion

LOL Caught!

I figured it was too much power and knowledge to be allowed for the common folk, but it seems it's there to stay now :)

No worries though. Very few will actually be able to put it to use I think.

Just a friendly reminder for all the kiddies that you should never post anything to the internet that you don't want the entire world to see.

At least it wasn't a nude photo. :p

Well I haven't had opportunity run your erased statements through the rigors of the three laws of thermal dynamics. Nor have I run a Gantt chart plotting time and focus with force pool... But,I was giving the thread the benefit of doubt and tagging it for future personal review as it may evolve. With the appearance of fear or jest in removing your statement; I suppose now I have consider your intent to distract or point out foolishness of the devs... Me, I'm just a simple sod slogging through a new game and new ways of looking at a role tool kit. Edited by MerleCorey