Still Concerned About Ability Delay

Starglide

I appreciate the update but I really need an answer to what I stated in that thread. The dev post is claiming that the ability delay, lack of control and the overall feel of ability execution is based on settings, specs and tolerance levels. This bothers me A LOT.

Yes, I have a great computers and when messing with settings it can make things better. For example, when leveling in phased areas there is an obvious peak of FPS. I get around 100-150 FPS in secluted or phased areas. So of course the ability delay seems to be better but I have to stress that IT IS STILL THERE.

The reason is not because of what you are mentioning. It has to do with animation > application. The best way to explain this is when you start moving after your mount channel has reached 0. You automatically dismount because even though the channel is complete, SWTOR is NOT strict to its ability application, it is strict to its animation. Unless the mount has completely appeared under you, you will not be completely mounted. As opposed to WoW where if you start running upon the completion of the channel, you run the speed of your mount, then it appears.

The reason this is, is because WoW puts the animation second.

BIOWARE, please let me know you understand this and that is what you are fixing. Because despite what you say, the person you quote IS correct. EVERYONE is experiencing this it is just a matter of understand it or having a tight platform to compare it to. The reason why some people don't feel it has nothing to do with tolerance. It is because they probably don't have WoW (the only MMO to completely nail responsiveness) to compare it to or have never played competitively in WoW.

As long as the animation comes first, there will always be a feel that the game is lacking control. If you have to wait even .1 second after a GCD for an animation to complete, you are still not being strict to the GCD and it WILL ALWAYS feel like something isn't right.

PLEASE let me know you understand this. PLEASEEE

I am hoping that the bit about "We're still investigating a number of additional issues, along with some usability and quality of life improvements for responsiveness regarding player input" could clear that up. I do not think we will suddenly hear them say that they are deprioritizing animation, but I could see them subtly letting abilities clip the end of the previous animation if the skill and timing required it.

At least that is what I am hoping. Ability delay/responsiveness is a huge deal to me so I am following the issue as closely as possible, I have not lost all faith (I am still following the game after all), and will continue to do so at least until the patch which may resolve these issues goes through.

Now if they implement all the proposed solutions, claim all is well, and the animations are still causing problems with the timing...

I am hoping that the bit about "We're still investigating a number of additional issues, along with some usability and quality of life improvements for responsiveness regarding player input" could clear that up. I do not think we will suddenly hear them say that they are deprioritizing animation, but I could see them subtly letting abilities clip the end of the previous animation if the skill and timing required it.

At least that is what I am hoping. Ability delay/responsiveness is a huge deal to me so I am following the issue as closely as possible, I have not lost all faith (I am still following the game after all), and will continue to do so at least until the patch which may resolve these issues goes through.

Now if they implement all the proposed solutions, claim all is well, and the animations are still causing problems with the timing...

Took the words right out of my mouth dude. I was hoping that line was what they meant.

First, get in game. Open preferences. Go to graphics (or UI either one, not sure). Look for something that says Ability Delay. Lower it to 0. Profit.

Funny.

How about an option Ability Delay: Off or Ability Work Without You Having To Stop Moving And Wait For Animation To Complete : Yes

Edited by SwigMcJigger

I agree that the animation is 100% the problem. I read somewhere that the commando aoe mortal volley, I am a commando I hardly ever use this because of how long it takes to cast. It is suppose to be a 3 second cast, but it takes closer to 8 seconds due to animation, anyways I read that mortar volley takes about twice the time to cast as the bounty hunter equivalent due to animation.

I always see bounty hunters use their AoE's in warzones and I always wondered why because as a commando it is horribly slow and definitely not worth the time.

anybody else feel that commando mortar volley is kinda... slow compared to its claimed cast time.

I agree that the animation is 100% the problem. I read somewhere that the commando aoe mortal volley, I am a commando I hardly ever use this because of how long it takes to cast. It is suppose to be a 3 second cast, but it takes closer to 8 seconds due to animation, anyways I read that mortar volley takes about twice the time to cast as the bounty hunter equivalent due to animation.

I always see bounty hunters use their AoE's in warzones and I always wondered why because as a commando it is horribly slow and definitely not worth the time.

anybody else feel that commando mortar volley is kinda... slow compared to its claimed cast time.

My instant cast Zealous Strike won't work unless I stop moving and wait for the animation to completely play before I move. But on my Marauder I can run around all willy nilly and when I press that button it goes off no matter what I am doing.

I dread that last sentence so much. I swear that this issue alone, if fixed, would make me carefree about any other changes they are making. If they fix this I can wait for anything else I swear.

But it isn't just my selfishness. This is the single issue that will make this game fail. It is the single reason WoW is so successful if you had to point your finger on one. NO GAME has been able to nail it but WoW. But BioWare has the resources and the budget.

But if they turn around and say its fixed when its not... I can't imagine people won't be like ARE YOU KIDDING.

The people that are really making the stink about it, like us and my friend who created the big thread--are all past hardcore and very competitive players. BioWare and others need to understand that WE can pick up on it because of EXPERIENCE. A lot of people do not know why WoW drove success so much. But us people who have experience and the knowledge to pinpoint it really should be getting more attention so BioWare can get to the bottom of it.

I am just hoping that they are taking the casuals perspective with a grain a salt and really scrutinizing the experienced ones who are making these threads and extensively explaining it. Especially when they say they are collectively gathering all the responses.

As much as they try to explain their status... the limitations they must have are really making these explanations open up more questions. They probably can't say certain things and it is raising more questions. Its like a catch 22.

My instant cast Zealous Strike won't work unless I stop moving and wait for the animation to completely play before I move. But on my Marauder I can run around all willy nilly and when I press that button it goes off no matter what I am doing.

Exactly.. this is a big issue to. Because of animations, some instant casts become interruptable. Not to mention a big issue are the casts that are not on GCD. Like interrupts (Or they should be), defensive ability like Saber Ward (Sith Marauder)--won't get off unless an animation of your ability stops.

That is actually a perfect example, because now you have an 'instant' ability that is NOT on GCD, acting as if it is because you have to wait for the animation that is supposed to finish within the GCD... to finish. Therefore CREATING a secondary GCD.