Carbonite Freezing continuity mistakes

Riggnas

I was under the impression that in ESB, The whole Freezing a person in Carbonite was a makeshift solution to capture Luke (a force user) who would be very hard to keep captive in traditional ways.

So they TESTED the process on Solo because it was something that they usually do on inanimate industrial stuff.

Why oh why do we see people frozen in Carbonite left and right in The Old Republic?

I think it's a shame that they try to hold on to a nostalgia factor, while KOTOR had that in a lesser extent and became it's own thing.

Vader does point out that the carbon-freezing chamber in Cloud City is crude. This suggests that there are much more sophisticated carbon-freezing methods available.

So perhaps they were not testing to see if carbon-freezing worked on humans, but rather if the facility itself would be able to carbon-freeze a human.

This kind of makes a lot more sense, if you think about it. If carbon-freezing a life-form wasn't something that had been done before, where did Vader get the idea? If it's a completely untried and unknown practice, it seems a bit out of left-field for Vader to suggest it.

Imagine if an action movie villain suggested "Well, first we'll capture this guy. Then, we'll dunk him in liquid nitrogen to keep him prisoner."

(as for the nostalgia factor, perhaps it's less about trying to capture that, and more a case of trying to make things feel vaguely familiar.)

Edited by smartalectwo

That might be true but the postures of the people and such is so much like Han Solo. And the fact that Leia knew that Han was blind for a while after "defrosting" might prove that it wasn't so uncommon.

Plus the fact that some of these droids sounds so much like C3-PO is a bit of a shame. KOTOR managed to create very memorable moments and characters without having to resort to that "familiar feeling" I have to admit I like some of the familiar stuff. I find the architecture of Sith Starships a good example

/Edit

Still i think it's being overdone I've got at least 2 or 3 quests with people in Carbonite, there is some dude hanging on the wall of my ship (who the hell is he?)

Edited by Riggnas

I got the impression that carbon freezing was fairly common, but they tested it because Lando's facility was crude.

The fact that Vader decided to do it at all, mixed with Threepio's "He should be quite well protected, if he survived the freezing process" comment makes me think it's not an unheard-of practice. Just that Lando's chamber had never been used for it.

That's probably a rationalization, of course, just to justify it, but I can live with this particular rationalization. :)

I think that it was mentioned somewhere in the movie that Lando's freezer was used for freezing the Tibanna gas, which is why Vader would want to test it on a person (it might work differently) but as others have said, it seems that everyone considered it to be a relatively-normal practice; there were probably person-freezers on other worlds that were just designed differently.

I think that it was mentioned somewhere in the movie that Lando's freezer was used for freezing the Tibanna gas, which is why Vader would want to test it on a person (it might work differently) but as others have said, it seems that everyone considered it to be a relatively-normal practice; there were probably person-freezers on other worlds that were just designed differently.

this

they were industral freezers not (thought to be) sophisticated enough for organic life

That might be true but the postures of the people and such is so much like Han Solo. And the fact that Leia knew that Han was blind for a while after "defrosting" might prove that it wasn't so uncommon.

Plus the fact that some of these droids sounds so much like C3-PO is a bit of a shame. KOTOR managed to create very memorable moments and characters without having to resort to that "familiar feeling" I have to admit I like some of the familiar stuff. I find the architecture of Sith Starships a good example

/Edit

Still i think it's being overdone I've got at least 2 or 3 quests with people in Carbonite, there is some dude hanging on the wall of my ship (who the hell is he?)

Isn't the architecture of the star destroyers in the Galactic Empire just about the same as those used in the (new)Republic? You can see them in the back ground of Episode 2 during the clone wars battles(probably were seen elsewhere too) and get a better look at them in Episode 3. I guess the designs the Sith Empire used in TOR were more widely adopted as a military standard later on, at least in aesthetics? This has been bothering me lately. Maybe it is mentioned in some of the EU books.

Edited by Tsukae

Im not up to scratch on SW lore. But since this is around 3500 years and everything appears to be ridiculously advanced im assuming something quite catastrophic, or a series of catastrophic events happened during the time frame which caused a lot of tech to be lost.

I guess carbonite freezing being a regular occurance was one of those, the materials for it exhausted? like in the case of stealth tech, or the plans a blueprints lost etc. A lot can happen in 3500 years

I remember in taris you go to a bunker that has like the ruling elite frozen in carbonite...

I remember that, the confusing thing is, they froze themselves on purpose, but they still had that posture where it looks like they were fighting it. The continuity is fine, the cloud city carbonite chamber was not made for freezing living beings, and they point out in TOR if your frozen more than an hour without a carbonite chamber made to keep you alive, you will probably die, you may still do so even if it's made for the purpose.

/Edit

I supose when you reach lvl 46 you wont like the new abilitie the carbonite frezee. If you are powertech that is.

seriously Carbonite freezing its all over the lore.

Im not up to scratch on SW lore. But since this is around 3500 years and everything appears to be ridiculously advanced im assuming something quite catastrophic, or a series of catastrophic events happened during the time frame which caused a lot of tech to be lost.

I guess carbonite freezing being a regular occurance was one of those, the materials for it exhausted? like in the case of stealth tech, or the plans a blueprints lost etc. A lot can happen in 3500 years

Yeah, the lack of technological progression is something I've always noticed. I've also assumed there has been events hampering progress like various wars resulting in dark ages. Also, given the fact they are so advanced in some areas and so primitive in others, I assume they actually lack a full understanding of all the technology they are producing. Perhaps some was discovered in much the same way they discovered the infinity engine(which I guess was lost/destroyed long before the time of the movies).

Yeah, the lack of technological progression is something I've always noticed. I've also assumed there has been events hampering progress like various wars resulting in dark ages. Also, given the fact they are so advanced in some areas and so primitive in others, I assume they actually lack a full understanding of all the technology they are producing. Perhaps some was discovered in much the same way they discovered the infinity engine(which I guess was lost/destroyed long before the time of the movies).

The most known real-life example is the Romans.

The Romans, at the height of there rule, had superiority in technologies, as in warfare, as in architecture, as in so many things

Then came the Dark Ages and we stood still for 1000 years...

Imagine if the Romans wouldn't have been defeated, we would be living on other planets now!

The most known real-life example is the Romans.

The Romans, at the height of there rule, had superiority in technologies, as in warfare, as in architecture, as in so many things

Then came the Dark Ages and we stood still for 1000 years...

Imagine if the Romans wouldn't have been defeated, we would be living on other planets now!

That is a missconception actualy.... the dark ages technology wasnt lost at all, the historians define dark ages because there is alack of documentation history during that period mostly happen in northen europe and northen France... the south of europe did see a continuation of technologic and philosophic advances.

Im just like to point out about technology on star wars, that never change because star wars isnt scince fiction at all its fantasy fiction, that happens to be in space.

Edited by Spartanik

There is a lot that this game borrows from the original movies. Just look at the trooper armor and the spaceships. The movies will always be in their own group. With games, books, and tv shows always being somewhat secluded.

The short answer is, that it really doesn't matter.