Which companion to use in tank spec?

gkshow

Hi all,

I'm DPS spec atm, waiting for level 31 to respec to 22/0/0 (and going towards the 23/0/18 hybrid built while leveling).

I mainly use Khem atm so that he tanks the adds, but was wondering which companion I should use after I respec.

Right now I have the robot, Khem and Androkonos (not sure if the spelling is right).

Should I use the robot to keep me healed? Or use Andro (I assume his dps is better than Khem's) to burn the targets?

Also, for Andro, which abilities should I lock on auto? Everything or are there any ones that I should be focusing on? Also, which "stance"?

Thanks a lot!

I used Andronikus in single target mode. He was very good about not breaking CC. You tank everything, but if he happens to get agro on one mob let him keep it and assist him in killing it. You have to use all your tools, this would include Stims, Adrenals, and Medpacks. You will want to kite some melee-type golds, and Andronikus is the best companion for these as he does not lose DPS when targets are moved and seems to have the shortest target-swap delay of any companion.

I swapped to Talos as soon as I got him, as mobs' difficulty scaled harder passed 40, and burning through things became a bit harder.

I went tank spec from the start and used Andronikos for almost everything, except a couple of big fights that I couldn't outlast, in which case I brought Talos to keep me up. Generally speaking I turn off all the companions' AoE abilities so they're not constantly breaking my CCs. I forget which stance I use for Andy but whichever one maximizes his DPS...

I'm using the ship droid, the R2V8 or whatever his name is.

I'm Cybertech, so I made him the armor pieces (parts, motor, core, sensor, etc) he needed, and he actually does OK. He's no Quinn or Mako, not by a long shot, but he's not a pushover either, since unlike those two he's wearing heavy armor and shield.

Leveling is a little bit slower than using DPS companion like Revel or Khem, but downtime is quite low/nonexistent.

Having said that, as tank spec I often still use Khem in DPS stance with taunts shut off. I tank, he does DPS. Revel is good too, but sometimes I feel his "windup" like Power Shot is too slow and often overkill - Khem seems better.

Don't have any other ones on my Sin yet, so can't comment. I do recommend gearing out the ship droid, I was pleasantly surprised with how effective he was.

Edited by Sabbathius

Personally im using Ashara Zavros atm, very happy with her killing capabilities, got her 2 pretty sweet lightsabers (for my lvl) and shes tearing **** up np. Not sure how she compares to Andronikos, but im not dissapointed with her, quite the opposite :)

Personally im using Ashara Zavros atm, very happy with her killing capabilities, got her 2 pretty sweet lightsabers (for my lvl) and shes tearing **** up np. Not sure how she compares to Andronikos, but im not dissapointed with her, quite the opposite :)

Yep, getting Ashara prompted me to go and make a Marauder. She just looked like she was having too much fun.

Andronikos

The problems I found with Ashara is that when a mob does a point blank AoE, she is in it. I move the mob out, she moves with me and then he does it again, she's in it again. Enemies never (as far as I can tell) target companion characters for AoEs so a ranged DPS, imo, is the best option for when you want a dps companion.