Help for a paper

Siscis

Hi!

I'm Sarah, 22 and, well, I love this game. So what do you do if you study Pragmatics this semester and your lecturer is so cool and accepts a gaming topic? Right, you write about SW:TOR.

This paper is supposed to be an exercise in data gathering, so I need your help: Do you have any suggestions in how to gather as many chat logs as possible in which players e.g. interact with each other to reach an ingame goal (like a hard quest or boss, finding datacrons etc.)

Ideas I had so far:

- ask guilds if I can save their chatlogs within raids

- watch a General Chat for a day

- analyse the "New Player Help" forum from the last 24 hours

If it helps: the paper is about Politeness Strategies of gamers.

Thank you very much for your attention and sorry for any mistakes: I'm a german student in her third English semester ;)

Bye

Sarah

Edited by Siscis

Sarah,

If you check out youtube, there's a lot of videos of people taking on world bosses, flashpoints, PVP and such in groups. You may be able to find some information for your paper there (as many tend to be nothing more than chatlogs on video).

I wish you great luck in getting your data.

TBH I think a lot of strategy type stuff is spoken or on forums. We do most of our idea sharing on the forums so that everyone has a chance to see it and then discuss it over voice chat. We record some of our meetings in case anyone from the guild who couldn't make it wants to listen to them. Very little is done in guild chat in our guild.

The Politeness Strategies of Gamers - that is pretty interesting.

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can "save" chat logs other than by taking screenshots.

If that's true, then it would be extremely labor intensive for people to organize them and you to sort through them.

Youtube is probably your best bet.

Having said that, you could add an "epidemiological" part to your paper. I have a paid SurveyMonkey subscription, and would be happy to host a survey for you on "Gamer Politeness Strategies" where the SWTOR-playing public could respond to your specific questions.

Between youtube, forum monitoring, general chat monitoring, and a survey, I bet you'd find some interesting things.

Email me at scorpienne at gmail dot com if you're interested.

Paige