Need help upgrading my computer for SWTOR

Laen

Hi everyone and thanks in advance!

I currently have to run SWTOR at minimum settings at 1280:1024. I have about $400 max that I can spend upgrading my computer tonight. Anyone here know what I could get from a Best Buy to upgrade my computer so that I can run this game without too many problems? I've heard since it was an mmorpg that it should not take much to run it. Here is what I have right now.

BIOS: Phoenis - AwardBOIS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX

This is built off of the Dell SPX 630i, the last video card died and I had to put in my older video card. Would just replacing the video card help? Or do I need to just upgrade everything?

Thanks again!

My computer is a totally stock, totally lame hp computer, which could barely run WoW and when Tor came out i upgraded the graphics card to a radeon hd 6770(best buy $170) and i can run ToR with the graphics all the way up with no lag at all. Id check that out if i were you.

WORD TO THE WISE: Find out what watt your power supply is, and try replacing that first. You should never try to run a GTX 5500 ti with anything less than a 550 watt power supply.

I recently upgraded my power supply from a 450 to an Antec High Current Gamer 620 power supply (75 bucks). Its a very good brand, you WILL get all 620 watts in full usage playing TOR, which is important. Do NOT go with a cheaper lesser brand name. You get what you pay for. Before I bought the GTX 550 ti, the power supply alone made the game runs lots smoother. The new graphics card put me over the top and It's flawless now. Perfectly flawless.

In closing, you can get both the power supply and new card for under 300 bucks total, and you can get more RAM with the last hundo.

Do NOT put in that new card without checking your power supply wattage. I recommend no less than 600 watts.

I have the same e8400 as you and I have the 560TI - I'm able to run everything on max (yes, AA and shadows on High) with a minimum of 40fps everywhere accept the Imperial Fleet where I Drop down to about 15-30 depending on the area. I am also running a second monitor with Windows Explorer running (info and research).

560TI will probably get you max settings, 550TI may not.

Also, I recently went from 4 to 8 gigs of RAM, that helped. While running SWTOR and having explorer up on my second monitor I use about 5ish megs of ram.

Also, try overclocking your CPU if you're feeling brave. Here is a guide - http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/intel_core_2_duo_e8400_overclocking_guide,2.html

I've got my e8400 at 3.825 ghz currently with a slight voltage increase (vcore), but I was able to get 3.6 ghz with NO voltage increase, 9x multiplier with 400 mhz clock - and as my RAM is dual pumped, 400x2 = 800hmz. so my proccessor then ran 1:1 with my DDR 800 RAM.

it really depends on what resolution you intend to game at.

if you're running something like 1368x720 or really anything lower than 1920x1080, you would probably be ok with the 550ti...

Personally, i think you'll still have framerate issues at the higher resolutions. The new 560ti with 448 cores are a pretty nice bang for your buck card.

i'm running an i7 920 that is OC'd to 4ghz and an AMD HD6950 2gb with unlocked shaders and OC'd to 930core/1425mem