Bag RNG System: Aging Poorly

JackKerras

If this would mean a guaranteed piece of battle master of my choosing every quest then im all for it, GAMBLING for PvP has "GOT!" to go.

Cannot agree more. Gambling is not a fun mechanic. It's a mechanic that hooks into some pretty deep-down places in the human psyche and can make a certain subset of people just go absolutely nuts for something, but it isn't just fun to do. Leveling your way up to something -is- fun, though. Watching the quest text slowly tick up 'til finally you know you're in the last game you'll need to play before that sweet, sweet chestpiece? Satisfying. Rewarding. Fun to be a part of.

When you get a piece of gear that you don't already have out of a gamble bag, it isn't satisfaction, it's -relief-.

There is a vast gulf of difference between these two emotional states. BioWare should really be working for the latter way, way more than the former; it's much better for the playerbase in the long run.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad that anybody from BW would never read this. And probably a good thing if they didn't too because they could/would/should offer you a job

I would like to work for this PvP team as a designer pretty much more than anything. I'd take low-*** pay and work long-*** hours just 'cuz making a game work really great and helping to bring it into the modern era would make me feel so *********** good.

That said, someone in this thread has a friend who works there, they said they'll be calling attention to it. And I had some luck with Warhammer Online; I wrote a somewhat lengthy, impassioned letter including a number of tweaks and changes that could help fix Open RvR and I saw those changes crop up here and there as the months went by. Made me feel good even if it's a bit of a ***** to not get any contact about it. :)

I'm sure one of their designers had it figured anyway, they're professionals.

And I DO mean a -letter-. I mailed them mail, printed on paper, like a caveman.

Edited by JackKerras

Should I cancel till they get things together?

Absolutely not.

The game is young. Support these guys. Stick with it, talk to them, send them letters if you have to. Call someone. Find people to give good ideas to and give them good ideas. There are ways to make these things get to the right people; like I said earlier, I saw things I wrote in a letter get put into WAR as time went on, although many of the things I saw were too little, too late.

We can make a real difference, although it can take more than a big fat forum post to do that. I truly believe that a great community can turn a hurting game that's not fun to be in into a happy game that has real growth and maintains or improves its population as the months wear on, and avoids that dreaded Long Tail.

shame they never read this stuff..

They read it.

The devs are not allowed to post here, but they -do- read, and they have interns who read and bring them good ideas and such to work on. They throw plenty of stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

That said, I can't imagine why things that were changed for the better between WAR's beta and now are making their way back into this game; 20-level differences between PvP gear sets? Honestly? No progression at all between those levels except in weapons, and even -those- are 10-12 level gaps? Come on, guys. Folks like to PvP their way up. Fixing it can work!

pretty sure we all do bro.

Solidarity.

People who use gambling as a means of progression have a name in the MMO field:

Korean.

Most Asian F2P games use this kind of unfair, huge-time-taking, expensive gambling in order to get going. Ever play one of those games where +1 through +5 of a weapon were increasingly costly sure things, and then +6 had a 50% chance to destroy the item and was even more expensive, right up to +20 which was nearly sure to destroy your item and cost millions of gold?

People still get +20 stuff. They try thousands of times until that magical number finally appears. In their particular milieu (and I read a wonderful article on Gamasutra about the differences in Eastern and Western philosophy as far as game design is concerned, I wish I had a copy of it at hand) this is a perfectly acceptable mechanic.

Here, it is trashy, ********, slipshod slot-machine-level garbage.

Solidarity.

Korean.

Most Asian F2P games use this kind of unfair, huge-time-taking, expensive gambling in order to get going. Ever play one of those games where +1 through +5 of a weapon were increasingly costly sure things, and then +6 had a 50% chance to destroy the item and was even more expensive, right up to +20 which was nearly sure to destroy your item and cost millions of gold?

People still get +20 stuff. They try thousands of times until that magical number finally appears. In their particular milieu (and I read a wonderful article on Gamasutra about the differences in Eastern and Western philosophy as far as game design is concerned, I wish I had a copy of it at hand) this is a perfectly acceptable mechanic.

LOL i used to play one of those games

Solidarity.

Korean.

Space Cowboy/Air Rivals comes to mind...

Space Cowboy/Air Rivals comes to mind...

I can pretty much boast that I have played every MMORPG that has ever come my way. I have played every single one. I'm a huge design junkie and I play everything I can. Board games, MMOs, sports, pick a thing, I'm interested in the rules.

Space Cowboy/AirRivals was fun to play for a little bit, before the grind really kicked in. Being able to fight in a Star Fox sort of way instead of a WoW kind of way was fun for a while.

And then the ABSOLUTELY MEGABRUTAL GRIND KICKED IN.

And I destroyed a bajillion great items trying to upgrade them.

**** that game.

I can pretty much boast that I have played every MMORPG that has ever come my way. I have played every single one. I'm a huge design junkie and I play everything I can. Board games, MMOs, sports, pick a thing, I'm interested in the rules.

Space Cowboy/AirRivals was fun to play for a little bit, before the grind really kicked in. Being able to fight in a Star Fox sort of way instead of a WoW kind of way was fun for a while.

And then the ABSOLUTELY MEGABRUTAL GRIND KICKED IN.

And I destroyed a bajillion great items trying to upgrade them.

**** that game.

Yup it was a blast back in the day. Even with the grind it was pretty fun back when it was Space Cowboy... good times.

Yup it was a blast back in the day. Even with the grind it was pretty fun back when it was Space Cowboy... good times.

Yeah, now that it's Flysis or whatever it is much less great. They took out a lot of things and added in a lot of brutal treadmills that basically just made you fly seventy-five hour long missions. -_-

Terrible stuff. And that's what we're trying to avoid here! Getting to TOP ranks in PvP should definitely take real time investment to do, but getting gear? You should have a questlog full of things you can do to progress closer to your goal. It would be a HUGE help.

New quest sound Great.

Count me in.i like it

I'm glad you think so! Keep the stars and the bumps up, we'll get someone to see this.

This isn't like adding Skaven way back in WAR; that would be thousands of hours spent granting a community whim. This is a quick fix that will work to make progression equitable, but reacting well to solid play and objective-following, as you head on up that ladder.