The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Taking damage as a tank?

AZmonsoon

I have a level 13 Vanguard. After each solo PVE enemy group encounter on average I have about 1/2 to 3/4 of my health left, which is fine to me however, On my equally leveled Gunslinger, the health bar barely gets a dent.

Does the Vanguard get better at taking damage in later levels than the gunslinger?

You're still very low level- you've invested 3-4 points in your tanking tree. Basically, sub 20 all classes are DPS with maybe some tiny hints of how their future role will play.

You get much more tanky as time goes on.

Bummer. I was hoping to take better damage than a dps class as a tank at all levels, not just the higher levels. "Tank" is what was said in the description anyway. FYI, getting to level 50 is more of a perk to me than a goal. I'm having fun digging the story as it progresses. Level 1 was just as fun as level 13 to me. Players who are higher level or better gear than I don't bother me. Trooper is such a fun class to play!

I get what you're saying- you just have to remember that you're not a tank yet. You didn't magically turn into a tank at level 10 when you picked Vanguard: remember that Vanguard has 2 DPS trees and 1 tank tree, and the only difference between a tank specced vanguard and a dps specced vanguard at your level are a shield generator and 4 (out of 41) talent points.

It doesn't take til 50 to feel tanky. You'll start to notice yourself feeling more indestructible pretty quickly over the next several levels.

I have a level 13 Vanguard. After each solo PVE enemy group encounter on average I have about 1/2 to 3/4 of my health left, which is fine to me however, On my equally leveled Gunslinger, the health bar barely gets a dent.

Does the Vanguard get better at taking damage in later levels than the gunslinger?

Yes. Next level, at 14. Prior to that you are not a tank, because you do not have your tanking buff (Ion Cell).

Personaly I dont feel very tanky at all even at 50 with 31 points in shield tree.

The problem as it seems to me is that they've designed the pve game to be played with a companion, so mobs are designed to be tough enough to fight 2 people and therefore hit hard. Now trash is trash, but you'll see a lot of people have a problem when they meet two 'strong' opponents.

Nearly everyone has to rely on Elara to heal them. I'm sure there are those who will claim otherwise, but I dont know of any vanguard who uses one of the other companions as their main companion, because they would get their arses kicked. That said, occasionally you find a mob that requires a different companion - which is great, but 90% of the time, you need a healer.

When you have 50% damage reduction and 35%+ on shield and absorbtion you shouldn't have to rely on Elara to heal you against strong opponents. Elites I could understand. You can do it with other companions, but its much more of a struggle.

This is all at the higher end of the game. Until early to mid 30's I got by just fine with Panthro.

Personaly I dont feel very tanky at all even at 50 with 31 points in shield tree.

The problem as it seems to me is that they've designed the pve game to be played with a companion, so mobs are designed to be tough enough to fight 2 people and therefore hit hard. Now trash is trash, but you'll see a lot of people have a problem when they meet two 'strong' opponents.

Nearly everyone has to rely on Elara to heal them. I'm sure there are those who will claim otherwise, but I dont know of any vanguard who uses one of the other companions as their main companion, because they would get their arses kicked. That said, occasionally you find a mob that requires a different companion - which is great, but 90% of the time, you need a healer.

When you have 50% damage reduction and 35%+ on shield and absorbtion you shouldn't have to rely on Elara to heal you against strong opponents. Elites I could understand. You can do it with other companions, but its much more of a struggle.

This is all at the higher end of the game. Until early to mid 30's I got by just fine with Panthro.

I'm level 47. I used Aric all the way until I got Yuun. I've been using Yuun since. Maybe once or twice I pulled Elara out. My affection with Aric is ~ @ 7200 and my affection for Yuun is ~ @ 9750. My affection with Elara is ~ @ 3000. I know that doesn't necessary prove it but my point is that I have barely used her.

This game is also designed to be played with other players. I've ran about 3 flashpoints in total but I'm working on Social 5. That means I've run almost all my quests with someone else, considering there are millions of other players I;m sure you can find one other person.