Aimed Shot Bug

Vasten

Anyone else having Aimed Shot bugging out on them when they roll into cover?

What happens to me is I will rolling into cover with the green gumby dude and try to cast Aimed Shot but it starts casting then comes up with canceled. If I just cover it will work just fine.

I have put in a ticket for this and was just wondering if it was just me.

It appears to be a problem with certain cover points where the game thinks you are still moving/rolling into position. The only work-around I know of is to just use portable cover behind the natural cover point (you still get the def bonus of the natural cover this way).

What I see happening more often than not is I start casting Aimed Shot too soon after rolling into cover. It's almost if I'm pressing it as I'm in my roll...

When I slow down, I have less problems.

So, as a guideline, try to wait until the GCD is down after rolling into cover before you start casting Aimed Shot. Besides, if you go Sharpshooter tree, you'll get a talent that encourages you use Charged Shot before Aimed Shot anyway. :D

It's a bug with natural cover hardpoints that will also wipe any and all buffs gained from rolling into cover. You can work around it by manually activating portable cover behind objects to get the hard cover bonus.

Just curious...

How would you get the hard cover bonus from activating portable cover?

Just curious...

How would you get the hard cover bonus from activating portable cover?

As long as a natural cover point is between you and your target, you will get the bonus.

Example:

X = The smuggler

|| = Natural Cover point

)) = Portable Cover

O = Enemy Target

Using Natural Cover would look like this...

X|| - - - - O

You get the same defensive bonus of Natural Cover when you setup like this...

X)) - - || - - - O

Edited by Kryptorchid

As long as a natural cover point is between you and your target, you will get the bonus.

Example:

X = The smuggler

|| = Natural Cover point

)) = Portable Cover

O = Enemy Target

Using Natural Cover would look like this...

X|| - - - - O

You get the same defensive bonus of Natural Cover when you setup like this...

X)) - - || - - - O

Wow! I didn't even realize that... thanks for the heads up!

What button do you press to take cover, but not roll into a "green man" cover spot?

That's the button I need. ;)

The only sure-fire way to NOT roll into a "green man" is by taking Cover before you target anyone. The Gumby only comes up when you have an enemy targeted. I can't recall if there is a specific Portable Cover ability any more--if there is, you can just use that as a keybind and you won't roll into Gumby!

The smuggler is an awesome class! The cover mechanic I think is a factor that players are unsure about and might keep some people from maining a smuggler. The mechanic seems solid but needs a little bug work.

I do hope it gets worked out soon, and look forward to the day where the cover mechanic is seemless :)

What happens to me is I will rolling into cover with the green gumby dude and try to cast Aimed Shot but it starts casting then comes up with canceled. .

It's a longstanding problem that was present during the last few months of the Beta, it's a LOS issue that is (slowly) being addressed over time.

I thought I was going crazy when this started happening to me last night. During the Stress Test Beta, I had no problems with it at all.

Yeah, I also have never had this happen before the release build.

Hope it gets fixed soon, as I really hate Portable Cover and think it looks downright idiotic. Whereas rolling into cover is the coolest thing ever!