Don't you think The Star Wars is a modified Dune?

MilesTeg_cy

May be it is a very common cliché. A young man goes to another planet(country), learns their way of life and saves them from injustice and cruelty, giving them back the control of their lives. Like USA claiming that they are bringing democracy to the 3rd world countries and giving back the power to the people. Well, that's an another story :)

Same story was in the Avatar. The first time I saw the movie I tought that this is "another" Dune movie. Actually the cliché story was used in Dune before also just like in Star Wars.

I agree that Dune can not be carried to a movie as it should be. However the mini series(especially the Children of Dune) managed that a little bit. With more resources it seems to be possible to create a visual Dune world but I don't think real story can not be filmed with its full profoundity.

Hero's Journey

I watched the Dune miniseries and didn´t like it too much, so didn´t watch the Children of Dune miniseries later. If you guys say that Children of Dune is great, I´ll probably give it a try.

Yes you should watch that one. It is different from the first series. Can't say that it is a first class hollywood movie but will do the job better than the first one. The music score is from Brian Tyler and it really moved me.

Dune is a commentary on the state of human enlightenment. Herbert is almost painfully clear on this at several points, although he wanders off into tangents about the nature of greed and the irony of war as a natural control mechanism on human expansion and population. Kevin J. Anderson managed to ruin that in about 6 paragraphs.

Star Wars is actually more of a political commentary highlighting the struggle between liberalism and conservatism (note: in Lucas' vision liberals win). Subsequent writing has basically completely destroyed that, particularly Zahn's work, in which the Empire is shown to have been Palpatine's effort to save the galaxy from an extra-galactic invasion force. It turns the Empire from black to gray as surely as atmospheric exposure did Darth Vader.