The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech - am I gimping myself as shield tech for random solo warzone style pvp?

Iseldiera

Hi all,

Having played 5 different classes past 30, I can easily say I love the Powertech gameplay most.

I am planning to stick with him full time, and I am having a blast tanking dungeons for dailies. S hield-tech lvling is not slow (I know after 40 its diff) yet either.

My question is regarding pvping in random warzones solo queue.

I read that the shield that we have does not mitigate the dmg vs elemental and internal dmg, which I feel I get a lot in pvp.

Am I gimping myself as the shield-tech in pvp? Is this something for PvE dungeon tanking?

My playstyle is focused more on achieving the warzone objectives, the grapple and the jet charge are the bread and butter of my playstyle. I like controlling my environment and using cliffs/hazards/los to piss of ppl.

In your replies if you could also briefly summarize the other 2 talent paths, with a pvp warzone perspective, I d be grateful.

Edited by Iseldiera

Am I gimping myself as the shield-tech in pvp? Is this something for PvE dungeon tanking?

Cannot give info' on the other paths for I have not taken them.

All I can say is that I do not feel gimped as a Shield Tech.

Depends what your criteria is, but I know that I am generally up on the top of the list of each board after the game (most protecting), with 5 or 6 badges easily. I nearly always get 1 or 2 votes... I'd say the general feeling is that I'm between 3rd and 6th position all the time (sometimes a bit higher).

Now, for the more important part, I have a lot of fun. So, if you like PvE tanking (which seems the case) you should be having fun too in PvP as the same... (hooking up with a healer to really shine ; guarding the Huttball carrier ; grappling people ; sacrificing yourself but mobilizing 4 or 5 enemies for a couple minutes to kill you and thus giving someone time to plant a bomb or get control of a gun...)

I read that the shield that we have does not mitigate the dmg vs elemental and internal dmg, which I feel I get a lot in pvp.

In short. No. (Although yes, the current state of shielding is laughably sad)I'd reccomend:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRGr0Rbo.1

to start.

From there the CP build is really good, my little brain cant handle 'wasting' points in Superheated Gas, so I'll be going with something like:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRGr0RboMZMs0MZbcb.1

So far as my understanding of the other trees, Pyro is more 'splodey, AP is more tricksy.

:D

Edited by DarthSalt

I am planning to stick with him full time, and I am having a blast tanking dungeons for dailies. Shield-tech lvling is not slow (I know after 40 its diff) yet either.

I did not find leveling after 40 difficult as a shield tech. From 1-50 I leveled faster than I could complete content.

I've played shield tech 1-40 so I decided to try first AP and then Pyro for lvling and found that I was getting hit hard and though I was hitting harder I felt that I had much more downtime. So I figure if I'm getting wrecked in pve its gunna be the same in pvp. I've really enjoyed being shieldtech for lvling and pvp. The carolina parakeet build is interesting and gives you some more dmg without losing any thing defensive.

There is a popular build that again uses 21 points in Shield then 2 in AP for Puncture and then final 18 points in pyro wasting 3 points in order to improve your railshot for your main source of damage. There is several names for it one I have seen popped up a few times in other threads it goes something like this.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRGbdMboZ0MZbIbbdh.1

Its a good build in my opinion very versitile especially in huttball with jet charge. Can use both dps gear or tanking gear depending on your playstyle in dps gear you will still be doing decent damage while still having survivability. Or go tanking and just laugh when people chase you around the warzone.

I suggest looking around for the threads that mention this build think its being called railjet or carolina parakeet xD.

short version shield tech can be good for pvp in certain aspects so no I don't think you are gimping yourself.

Edited by Desseus

From there the CP build is really good, my little brain cant handle 'wasting' points in Superheated Gas, so I'll be going with something like:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRGr0RboMZMs0MZbcb.1

So far as my understanding of the other trees, Pyro is more 'splodey, AP is more tricksy.

:D

Why would you ignore Prototype Particle Accelerator and Superheated Rail? If you use IGC and don't take those traits, there's no reason to go into pyrotech at all. The points in Superheated Gas are not wasted, they're just filler so you can get the really good stuff.