Update on Ilum Open World PvP issues

GabeAmatangelo

Please don't quote me. My posts aren't directed towards scrubs and ratbads, only towards intelligent free-thinkers. Just ignore my posts from here forward please. Same goes for anyone who would choose to quote me without offering up any debate or rebuttal in exchange for the time I took to type my thoughts.

Well, I think the main problem that people have with the valor gains due to this..

It makes it seem like you wasted your time, to be honest. Guys who got Valor Rank 60 and their Battlemaster stuff legit, through weeks of grinding feel helpless.

The title, the armor.. it means nothing now, because what took weeks was mostly accomplished within in a day.

That's the main problem, people feel like their time was wasted since they could of just sat and farmed Republic all day.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit tired about this "Empire did", "Sith did" and all that bs.

In my server - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - there is a healthy and very good Republic PvP population.

Depending in the shard you were Republic outnumbered Empire, or the other way around,

In my shard - Ilum 3 - Republic outnumbered us by 2 vs 1.

Do you know what happened ?

Reps farmed the turrets, Reps farmed spawn points, Reps farmed objectives and gys while we struggled to be alive and get a kill.

Is not one faction or other faction. Is the gameplay the patch promotes.

If you happen to be in a server where your faction sucks, reroll and shut up.

I am not asking for those republic players to be baned, won't be fair.

And in this server the gear gap favours Republic as they have instant queues and better geared players.

I am not moaning, I will fight my way up to gear like a champ and won't come to cry rivers to the forums.

Don't you like the game ? Cancel and shut up, we are not going to miss you.

Edited by klathnagma

How did this player exploit?

Bioware never posted this was an exploit for HOURS and even afterward, do you expect players getting insane valor to leave a zone, or logout to check the forums for the status?

I'm sorry that people don't have a grasp of what common sense is. I really am.

Do you honestly think people didnt go "HOLY ****! THEY ARE GOING TO NERF THIS **** HARD BECAUSE IT IS BROKEN!" ?

It was obvious from miles away once the server started, hell, it was even posted on the test servers. People who abused the obvious flaw KNEW they were abusing something that wasn't meant to be done that way.

Sure, people can play dumb all day long. But deep down, they knew what they were doing was abusing the system, which to be fair, wasn't well thought out.

Do you realize some people like myself, went to Ilum today to do my daily, (my server Repubs are out numbered more than 2 to 1), and left cause it was lame to camp their base...

In addition I can not speak for everyone, but this is a game... Maybe its more important to you than others, but really, this much upset over "Valor" you think people who farm Valor today stole your life savings... Perspective...

SWTOR is an online video game, its genre is a MMO/MMORPG these avatars you control in game are not real, and the things you collect and earn with them mean nothing in the real world...

I read this thread and feel sad, basically I use to be like this, when I played Everquest, I fell into an gaming addiction, and wasn't until years later I can now be honest and say, I played that game too much, and I value what I did in that game too much... perspectives like that is why whe have 140+ page thread on this topic...

For some of you I do hope you cancel your account before caring so much about a game ruins your real life...your job, your relationships, your health... this is no joke... if this kind of thing makes you rage, take a step back now..

ITS A GAME...

My point was that if valor is so meaningless why exploit it from others trying to enjoy the game. You took things way to seriously. I even labeled the sarcasm. I am not that upset I was just trying to prove a point to the original quote. You may need to step back and get a grasp on the situation.

Well, I think the main problem that people have with the valor gains due to this..

It makes it seem like you wasted your time, to be honest. Guys who got Valor Rank 60 and their Battlemaster stuff legit, through weeks of grinding feel helpless.

The title, the armor.. it means nothing now, because what took weeks was mostly accomplished within in a day.

That's the main problem, people feel like their time was wasted since they could of just sat and farmed Republic all day.

you know what this remind me of? NGE

Thousands of players working their way to become Jedi for months.

NGE comes and now you can be a Jedi with the click of a mouse button.

You just touched my soul.

PERFECT way to put it!

Thats a profound statement. That was the end. You are basically saying this game is over before it started lol.

I'm sorry that people don't have a grasp of what common sense is. I really am.

Do you honestly think people didnt go "HOLY ****! THEY ARE GOING TO NERF THIS **** HARD BECAUSE IT IS BROKEN!" ?

It was obvious from miles away once the server started, hell, it was even posted on the test servers. People who abused the obvious flaw KNEW they were abusing something that wasn't meant to be done that way.

Sure, people can play dumb all day long. But deep down, they knew what they were doing was abusing the system, which to be fair, wasn't well thought out.

I play Empire.

You are flat lying about this issue being on the PTR period. You can't even copy a 50 to the server or /level to 50.

You are trying to blame players for beta testing a companies broken patch.

You do realize how this makes you look?

It's going to be another Rift/Aion/Champions Online game.

It will keep the players it needs to remain "profitable", but it will fade into obscurity like the rest.

The fanboys will keep it profitable for Bioware though.

Actually, I read somewhere that due to the massive 300 mil spent making this game, and due to lucas's large cut of the income, they need half a million players to be profitable. I bet they don't keep that many after this.

Totally absurd Bioware, you need to rollback all valor gains from the last 24 hours period. People just gained in a few hours sitting around what took others hundreds of hours to gain.

Bioware continues to prove they are an EA company now, I've lost all faith in you.

They don't need to roll back valor because there are people out there that are just going to take any rumor and run with it. No one went from 0-battlemaster on a low level alt by farming turrets. The most I heard of on our server was 38-49. Is it too much? Yes. But you kids seriously need to put down the pitchforks. Most of you are upset over misinformation.

If anything, this has told me that WZ valor is too damn low. The most I've ever seen was 1500 and level 55 requires 34k. That's 22 matches if I hit that number each time. God forbid I should get farmed for 15 minutes by a premade and be lucky to hit 800 valor.

They don't need to roll back valor because there are people out there that are just going to take any rumor and run with it. No one went from 0-battlemaster on a low level alt by farming turrets. The most I heard of on our server was 38-49. Is it too much? Yes. But you kids seriously need to put down the pitchforks. Most of you are upset over misinformation.

If anything, this has told me that WZ valor is too damn low. The most I've ever seen was 1500 and level 55 requires 34k. That's 22 matches if I hit that number each time. God forbid I should get farmed for 15 minutes by a premade and be lucky to hit 800 valor.

befor we got rolled i made 2 lvls in 45mins, then the camp sess stat so YOU need to check ur facts btw i was 53 when this started, now tink about the sith who had hours and free food

Edited by Wolfnyte

Totally absurd Bioware, you need to rollback all valor gains from the last 24 hours period. People just gained in a few hours sitting around what took others hundreds of hours to gain.

Bioware continues to prove they are an EA company now, I've lost all faith in you.

Bioware was never a good company when it comes to quality of games. It was just fanboys who made this happen. I say we blame fanboys and leave BW alone.

Way too many people are flipping out about rollbacks and more than a few have posted multiple times about unsubbing. I can't speak for the test server side of things and if the issue was blatantly brought to their attention, but serverside is another matter.

"No rollbacks? Why should I grind to BM when some average Joe can do it in a few hours?"

Coupe of problems here. For starters what about those who didn't get valor from Ilum today or at least didn't exploit it? Not only would they have to have a script that could map people back to previous levels (time consuming in itself and no guarantee they can do it) but they have to ensure they don't hurt those who played fairly. This would take at least a week, if not more and testing to ensure they don't hurt the honest players, both for moral and legal reasons.

Secondly exploits happen all the time in games, it becomes a matter of addressing it quickly (which they did, this is not their first thread on the issue) and stopping it as efficiently and disruptively as possible. Only exploits that truly break a game warrant the responses that some of you appear to expect, keeping in mind just how much would be affected and the difficulty of persecuting only the guilty.

Lastly, to you Battlemasters out there, yes it sucks that something you worked hard for was achieved so easily by others. It felt like an accomplishment that not many could say they have achieved, and now it feels meaningless. But it is what it is. If McDonalds hired you for $7.50 and hour and a month later hired someone just like your for the same position at $8.25, you would probably be pissed and perhaps rightfully so. But you were willing to do the work for $7.50, he was not. You could have gone to your manager and complained for a raise just as you could have gone to Ilum and farmed to high heaven. Don't think your desire for some status symbol, your willingness to work harder for less, or your sheer bad luck justifies harming another. It sucks, but your going to have to just take it. You would have a better chance at getting some form of benefit to your accounts than attempting to harm those who may not have exploited (however to the obvious blatant exploiters with some form of proof the banhammer should come down)

Thats a profound statement. That was the end. You are basically saying this game is over before it started lol.

I fully agree with you.

I think that's exactly why people are upset and why there's so much outrage over this.

People want the time they put into the game to mean something and when an easier method (or poorly designed concept) becomes available and people earn something more easily, people naturally rage.

I know there's a stigma attached to WoW discussion/comparisons in reference to SW:TOR, but I will say that this sort of "used-to-be-difficult-but-is-now-easy" type scenario is extremely prevalent in WoW, and in many other MMOs. Normally you'd not expect such a thing to happen so early in a games life but sometimes that's how it goes.

Edited by MightyMortox

In the future there will probably be some kind of arena system where actual skilled pvprs will be able to distinguish them self's from scrubs who farm, with a title that is attainable through some kind of winning percentage similar to WoW. In WoW being a Gladiator meant something to the WoW community. In SWTOR Battle Master means dick. All BM's I've faced in my realm prior to this 1.1 fiasco are ****, with exception of a few.

Stop worrying that someone who is a scrub shares the same title as you, you will get your chance to distinguish your self as a pro later.

I play Empire.

You are flat lying about this issue being on the PTR period. You can't even copy a 50 to the server or /level to 50.

You are trying to blame players for beta testing a companies broken patch.

You do realize how this makes you look?

Read the whole thread. Yes, I'm aware it is 170+ pages long. Several forum threads have been linked throught the thread stating otherwise. I'm not talking out of my ***. Just read the thread.

The idea behind the patch wouldnt be wrong if it was aimed towards servers with equal population, but since the majority of servers are 65+% Imperials, it failed hard. I am not blaming the players for testing, the players tested and screamed at BW that this was going to suck, and guess what, it did.

I'm blaming the players that knowingly (because c'mon, if you see something giving too much of a reward for little effort, you know it's going to be nerfed, sooner or later) abused the broken system to gain a lot of valor. I'm blaming the reps that after reading the forums decided to go "check it out" and got stuck in the eternal lightning storm at their bases.

Sure, there might be some players (hell, it might be the majority) that didnt read the forums the first time they logged in and traveled to Illum. But do you honestly think people in the General Chat werent discussing the topic? And that said players didnt check the forums to know what the hell was going on on /1 chat? Don't be deillusional please.

People KNOWINGLY abused the flawed system, and should be punished in some way. Wether being temp bans with rollback on their valor prior to 1.1 patch or a flat out perma ban.

I don't understand what all the ************'s about.

I'll agree that this Ilum change wasn't fully thought out, and that it resulted in certain effects that were suboptimal to the state of the game, but honestly the amount of QQ going on would make someone think the world was ending.

First, Battlemaster gear's not much better than Champion gear; I'm sure someone could do the math and find it to be somewhere around 2-4% stronger in terms of stat advancement, and in some cases (depending on class/build) it's not even worth upgrading your champion gear to battlemaster gear because you may swap to unwanted stats (Crit to Alacrity for example.)

Secondly if you thought the title of Battlemaster was some sacred achievement then you're delusional. Anyone could get it with very little PvP skill by spamming WZ queues for a few weeks.

I'll admit the Valor gains are fairly absurd in Ilum, I myself went from rank 51 to rank 54 in a couple hours, but really this only has a very minor impact on the overall state of the game. I'd say the biggest impact from this is that it further tarnishes BioWares reputation in regards to their ability to accurately test their game before releasing new content.

Rollback? Why would they. In MMOs, rollbacks are generally reserved for things that cause a major economic impact to the game such as item duping or credit/gold duping. This particular situation has caused no such impact.

It just boils down to one thing: people want their achievements to mean something so they can justify the time sink into their game of choice. If their achievement doesn't seem "amazing" then ti feels like you accomplished nothing at all. The only thing being hurt here is peoples feelings.

While this doesn't affect me much, I do see why this is such a big issue to many people.

1) Republic got hosed from day 1. Imperials had several advantages in terms of skills (despite being 'mirrors') over Republic. This caused a larger than average popultion imbalance and still has not been fully resolved.

2) Due to a badly thought out and implemented patch, Republic players were trapped in the area (basically griefed) with no way out aside from deliberately AFKing out of a warzone.

3) Imperial players were able to farm up a great deal of bonus gear. Republic were essentially shut out of these rewards and those trapped were prevented from progresing themselves.

4) With no rollback, the Imperial side gains an additional advantage in PvP which snowballs as new Imperial players are likely to be carried by the gear advantage present in their faction.

5) More people gravitate to Imperial for easy wins. Huttball becomes the only form of PvP for most people.

6) Imperials are annoyed, Reps are annoyed.

Way too many people are flipping out about rollbacks and more than a few have posted multiple times about unsubbing. I can't speak for the test server side of things and if the issue was blatantly brought to their attention, but serverside is another matter.

"No rollbacks? Why should I grind to BM when some average Joe can do it in a few hours?"

Coupe of problems here. For starters what about those who didn't get valor from Ilum today or at least didn't exploit it? Not only would they have to have a script that could map people back to previous levels (time consuming in itself and no guarantee they can do it) but they have to ensure they don't hurt those who played fairly. This would take at least a week, if not more and testing to ensure they don't hurt the honest players, both for moral and legal reasons.

Secondly exploits happen all the time in games, it becomes a matter of addressing it quickly (which they did, this is not their first thread on the issue) and stopping it as efficiently and disruptively as possible. Only exploits that truly break a game warrant the responses that some of you appear to expect, keeping in mind just how much would be affected and the difficulty of persecuting only the guilty.

Lastly, to you Battlemasters out there, yes it sucks that something you worked hard for was achieved so easily by others. It felt like an accomplishment that not many could say they have achieved, and now it feels meaningless. But it is what it is. If McDonalds hired you for $7.50 and hour and a month later hired someone just like your for the same position at $8.25, you would probably be pissed and perhaps rightfully so. But you were willing to do the work for $7.50, he was not. You could have gone to your manager and complained for a raise just as you could have gone to Ilum and farmed to high heaven. Don't think your desire for some status symbol, your willingness to work harder for less, or your sheer bad luck justifies harming another. It sucks, but your going to have to just take it. You would have a better chance at getting some form of benefit to your accounts than attempting to harm those who may not have exploited (however to the obvious blatant exploiters with some form of proof the banhammer should come down)

You have this Battlemaster thing wrong. I'm sure Imp's aren't that upset or at least shouldn't be...

I'm sure these people are Republic mad that they will be facing a lot of people with access to gear they can't get yet.

These people should be upset.

In addition to these changes, we’ll be reducing the population cap on Ilum. This should help increase performance by requiring your client to render fewer characters on-screen at once.

Yay, more Instancing! Bioware told us, there will be no Instances in Highlvl areas! Was it a lie?

Read the whole thread. Yes, I'm aware it is 170+ pages long. Several forum threads have been linked throught the thread stating otherwise. I'm not talking out of my ***. Just read the thread.

The idea behind the patch wouldnt be wrong if it was aimed towards servers with equal population, but since the majority of servers are 65+% Imperials, it failed hard. I am not blaming the players for testing, the players tested and screamed at BW that this was going to suck, and guess what, it did.

I'm blaming the players that knowingly (because c'mon, if you see something giving too much of a reward for little effort, you know it's going to be nerfed, sooner or later) abused the broken system to gain a lot of valor. I'm blaming the reps that after reading the forums decided to go "check it out" and got stuck in the eternal lightning storm at their bases.

Sure, there might be some players (hell, it might be the majority) that didnt read the forums the first time they logged in and traveled to Illum. But do you honestly think people in the General Chat werent discussing the topic? And that said players didnt check the forums to know what the hell was going on on /1 chat? Don't be deillusional please.

People KNOWINGLY abused the flawed system, and should be punished in some way. Wether being temp bans with rollback on their valor prior to 1.1 patch or a flat out perma ban.

Guess what.

Hate the game, don't hate the players.

I've been here on this thread all day too man. I haven't logged into the game in days when I saw this trainwreck coming and posted in THESE forums about how 1.1 would break IIum if it wasn't instanced.

So yeah, you could say I've been here.