Quick question about Moddable Gear.

Rhombulos

If you have a moddable level 10 pair of boots, and a moddable level 40 pair of boots, and you put the same armor mod in it... would it have the same armor? I thought that was the case (To make moddable gear good at any level) but I was told that's not true.

Orange modable gear is really just a skin for mods.

If you get better mods, or an orange reward/drop that looks stupid, you can strip out the mods and drop them in what you like.

They need to do this much more. Too few oranges.

That's what I assumed. I was trying to buy the TD-17A Imperator boots on my server and a guy asked if I wanted to buy these other orange boots instead so when I hit that level I could upgrade. I said that I wouldn't want to buy them because I'd just keep modding my original pair. He said that higher level oranges are better than lower level items with the same mods in them. He put me on ignore and ranted in general chat, no one said he was right or wrong so I assumed maybe I was misinformed.

If you have a moddable level 10 pair of boots, and a moddable level 40 pair of boots, and you put the same armor mod in it... would it have the same armor? I thought that was the case (To make moddable gear good at any level) but I was told that's not true.
you're correct, and whoever argued with you is wrong.

the only difference is based on the armor type. Medium armor gets more armor with the same armor mod in place than light armor does, for example.

it's one of the reason that I'm selling level 11 (level 19 for hats) moddable items like they're hotcakes

Edited by ferroz

I can concurr with the others.

I kept a particular modable item from level 10, because I liked the look of it.

I upgraded it with the latest mods and its as good as modable gear that drops for my level.

Incidentally, as per Georg Zoellers previous post, the "rating" is determined by the Armour / hilt / scope mod you put in an item.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=898530

Orange Armor gets it's armor value from the 'armoring' mod you slot in. If you exchange it for something better, the armor value increases along with the stats.

It's always the first mod in the list that determines the intrinsic properties of the orange items (e.g. armoring on armor, barrel on guns, etc.)

Hope that helps.

Edited by Tarka