The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Sub Canceled] Unless...

hoilandms

OMG! I am mad at Bioware because of population imbalances, but I will still be mad at bioware if they try to tell me what faction to play! ARGHHH I CANNOT BE HAPPY!

I love comments like this.

BioWare isn't telling you who to play.

There would be plenty of normal PvP servers for you to play on and choose any faction you wish.

This is just a solution to create a healthy PvP population server and see if it works. If it does, open up another one. If it continues to work, open up a new server but for transfers from the old PvP servers only.

No one is forcing you to play the game nor is anyone forcing you to choose a side.

This is an awful idea and you should feel awful for sharing it.

Guess you can keep playing on your Empire server and enjoy those 100 vs 5 Ilum battles.

As others have said before, Aion did this and had some decent success with it.

I don't think you understand how two-faction games work. There will ALWAYS be a tilt to one side, no matter what. This is why developers started tilting towards warzones. Everyone thinks that world PvP is this grand battle where you stroll onto the battlefield and there are twenty of your guys on one side and equal amounts on the other, that never happens. Even with a 50/50 server, you are going to get a side more PvP inclined and ganking will still be prominent.

The only thing that you can do is add more warzones, and so far I like their direction with it. What I do not like is being forced to go to Ilum for PvP bags and they won't be able to create a fair Ilum unless they make it similar to a warzone. What they should have done is made it a locked capture point type of invasion warzone similar to MoBA style games and Unreal Tournament.

Creating new servers with rules that work is not a solution to the majority of pvp servers that are not working because of population unbalance.

A proper solution needs to include a fix that will fix all servers and not force the entire pvp player base to reroll on a different server.

They need to add "Against all odds" buffs to whatever side is out numbered that scales based on how much you are out numbered.

If Republic has 100 players on Illum and Imperial has 1000 on Illum, then the republic players would gain 5x the damage 5x the hit points 5x the damage reduction etc... becoming raid bosses basically.

In addition, have a debuff for the Imperial in the situation above that lowers the valor gained by 10 times since there are ten times the amount of republic.

This would encourage imperial players to reroll republic to reap some of this benefit and/or get out of the cons of being under their factions debuff.

This is just an idea, there are many others, but something like it needs to be done immediately.

Its really quite simple. Incentives.

I like this idea because it matches some of the lore where even though the Republic was outnumbered they were still able to take one a large number Sith players.

I don't think you understand how two-faction games work. There will ALWAYS be a tilt to one side, no matter what. This is why developers started tilting towards warzones. Everyone thinks that world PvP is this grand battle where you stroll onto the battlefield and there are twenty of your guys on one side and equal amounts on the other, that never happens. Even with a 50/50 server, you are going to get a side more PvP inclined and ganking will still be prominent.

The only thing that you can do is add more warzones, and so far I like their direction with it. What I do not like is being forced to go to Ilum for PvP bags and they won't be able to create a fair Ilum unless they make it similar to a warzone. What they should have done is made it a locked capture point type of invasion warzone similar to MoBA style games and Unreal Tournament.

I agree with your last part.

As to the first, I believe two-faction MMOs can work. Of course 1 side of players will be more inclined to PvP, that is a given. But if that 1 side is on a 50/50 server, it won't be a huge imbalance. If 1 side PvPs more on a server that is 60/40, it is more prominent, if it is 70/30, it is even worse. 50/50 servers put you on the most balanced footing you can have when it comes to the two-faction MMO.

What needs to happen is PvP servers need to be handled completely differently. You can't just set things up and forget about it. You need to constantly be starting new events in different zones and constantly changing. You would almost need just 1 person to handle everything per server. PvP servers are a totally different animal and you need a game company who cares about that and wants them to thrive.

So far, BioWare really hasn't shown that.

I agree with your last part.

As to the first, I believe two-faction MMOs can work. Of course 1 side of players will be more inclined to PvP, that is a given. But if that 1 side is on a 50/50 server, it won't be a huge imbalance. If 1 side PvPs more on a server that is 60/40, it is more prominent, if it is 70/30, it is even worse. 50/50 servers put you on the most balanced footing you can have when it comes to the two-faction MMO.

What needs to happen is PvP servers need to be handled completely differently. You can't just set things up and forget about it. You need to constantly be starting new events in different zones and constantly changing. You would almost need just 1 person to handle everything per server. PvP servers are a totally different animal and you need a game company who cares about that and wants them to thrive.

So far, BioWare really hasn't shown that.

The truth is, it really is difficult. I agree with you, but not even Blizzard has been able to make world PvP truly fair or much more than a gankfest either.

The truth is, it really is difficult. I agree with you, but not even Blizzard has been able to make world PvP truly fair or much more than a gankfest either.

But the problem that game companies keep running into, is they are in the "set it and forget it" mode.

They come up with a new "planet" or "zone" that will totally solve World PvP and they just let it rotate like clockwork every couple hours (Tol Barad for example).

You can't do that. You need GMs to plan random events. Whether it is a random capture the flag in Tatooine or a Rebel force taking over some random spaceport. The ideas are endless, but you need active participation from the game developer to truly make PvP servers thrive.