Thoughts from a Tactics Vanguard (PVE)

Tires

Essentially, my problem with tactics, is that most of its damage is mitigated by armor,

Other than Stock Strike, what is mitigated by armor?

Hib has a 60% rather than 90% ArP in my spec.

Firepulse ignores armor (right?).

Gut's primary damage component, the dot is internal damage.

My spam-amble skill, Ion Pulse ignores armor (right?).

Assuming firepulse and ion ignore armor, I don't see where mitigation comes into it. (other than a small amount)

-------------------------------

On a side note, I tried your spec and yes HiB hit amazingly hard. But I felt like ammo management made me rely on Hammer Shot way too often.

With Tactics ammo was rarely as issue. I typically activate all trinkets and consumables and toss a nade, go into my rotation, then blow all my ammo on ion pulse. Recharge cells and follow my rotation til I need to burn or until Recharge is about to go off CD.

With the hybrid build you posted, I found myself OoM (Out of Munitions) a lot more than I was comfortable with. Are you finding that you have to Hammer shot during fights? That should be a pretty big DPS loss.

---------------------------------------

To the other guy making up numbers, I'm not hiding behind anything. I'm standing on rationality and the ability to observe and draw conclusions with the knowledge that they are unproven and speculation. While you choose to take speculation as a fact. Which is foolish.

I may be wrong about Tactics, and the other guy may be wrong about the hybrid spec.

Then again we all may need to re-roll when/if they put out some type of combat log. However, I'm not going to pretend what I believe is LAW when I have no PROOF. You can, that is fine. But it makes you look all the more foolish.

I'm trying to help out our class in general by comparing and debating one spec vs. another. If you want a flame war, please do it somewhere else.

Actually with your constant attacking of others ideas youre actually doing a disservice to the class. Letting other people try something besides what has worked for you could yield better results.

Did you try the spec we've all posted? More than once? in all environments?

If not then since we dont have damage parsers please just politely give comparisons and dont flame us. aka CHILL BRO

on topic has anyone tried the spec i linked except using high energy cell? does the ammo regen on HEC make it more plausible to keep both gut and incendiary rolling 100%?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8010MZMsrMorcoZbIbrzh.1

...and yes i know you waste 3 points in assault on the boost to plasma cell's proc rate. blame bioware for poor skill tree design.

Edited by grandmasterub

on topic has anyone tried the spec i linked except using high energy cell? does the ammo regen on HEC make it more plausible to keep both gut and incendiary rolling 100%?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8010MZMsrMorcoZbIbrzh.1

...and yes i know you waste 3 points in assault on the boost to plasma cell's proc rate. blame bioware for poor skill tree design.

That might actually work, since HEC buffs both your dots. However, heat management isn't really an issue even with full Assault Spec. You apply a 6 second dot with Ion Pulse. When you use hammer shot, you apply a new instance of the 6 second dot, while also refreshing the duration of the original dot. Thus, Hammer Shot isn't as big of a DPS loss as everyone thinks.

Interesting discussion... I hope that when it's all said and done, we will find a build that seems to work really awesome for DPS with our 'guards

If youre refering to wz guarding I prefer the 8/31/2 build running ion cell. In line 2 of SS I put points in the ioncell proc on ss and ioncell 2sec slow instead of aim

If youre refering to wz guarding I prefer the 8/31/2 build running ion cell. In line 2 of SS I put points in the ioncell proc on ss and ioncell 2sec slow instead of aim

He wasn't. He meant 'guards -------------Vanguards.