The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Differences in Tanks

Aliase

Hi guys. I am playing a vanguard and loving it so far. I am currently lvl 31. I am trying to stay informed about my class as well as others. I was wondering what is the main difference between how we tank and how a jedi guardian tanks? Is one better at keeping multiple mobs on them? Will one generally have more health and be able to take harder hits? Sorry if this seems newbish but I was just curious what the differences are exactly.

I can't speak to the defenses of the Vanguard vs the Guardian, but i have a level 30 guardian and the AoE threat is terrible. we have one skill for AoE threat, and you better hope it hits all the mobs.

Don't get me wrong, its fun to play... but if your group wants to face roll and not pay attention to the tank, they are going to die.

The guardian takes me back to Classic WoW warrior tanks in that there is little AoE threat and you need to change targets to keep threat rolling on multiple mobs.

Vanguard has better ranged and AOE threat. Vanguard has higher shield and lower dodge, meaning that the damage that we take is smoother (easier to heal through) than the Guardian's spikier damage profile. Guardians do not get any harpoon-like ability.

Guardians are effective tanks (as are Shadows!) but Vanguards have an easier time of it in several ways.

There isn't really any ranged tanking. Your bread and butter damage/threat move is melee range, and so is your interrupt; your AOE stun, taunt, and damage debuff moves are PBAOEs rather than targeted.

Vanguards do have a few more tools than other tanks for doing damage and acquiring aggro at range, but don't expect that you're going to be sitting 30 meters out from the boss.

I have a juggernaut & vanguard. My impression of both is that they are both capable tanks and can get the job done. The juggernaut seems to have better "oh crap!" buttons. The vanguard has better aoe aggro. Pick your poison.

To be noted : knights have a considerably better group buff than troopers.

I, too, have a lvl 50 Juggernaut and have been leveling a Vanguard for a while now (currently in the 40ies). From what I've experienced, the Juggernaut has way better survival cooldowns compared to the Vanguard. Endure Pain beats Adrenaline Rush anyday, and you got Invincible vs, Reactive Shield. The Vanguard does a better job at holding aggro on multiple targets compared to the Juggernaut, yet the Juggernaut has more options for mobility, stuns and interrrupts.

Their have their differences for the different situations.

I do like to add: while leveling as a Shield Spec. Vanguard, the playstyle feels weird until you can get the talent Storm.

Edited by Ceantari