Video Cards

PringlezFTW

Hey all, I'm thinking about buying a new video card and some more RAM for SWTOR, It's so fun and I tried going past Level 10 but it gets more involved with the cities and my computer no likey the cities. :/ I have about 185 bucks to spend..any suggestions?

Right Now I have:

Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

and 2GB RAM

What should I improve and what should I keep the same?

Thanks a ton :cool:

Go for another 2gb of ram, install 64 bit windows 7.

I would get ATI Radeon 4870 or higher

OR

nVidia 260 gtx or higher and youll be fine

Personally I have seen the 4870, the 550 TI, and gtx 460 single and SLI run this game with great frame rates. But what helps the most is that 4gb of ram.

I have a Athlon 64 X2 at 2.2ghz with a 9800 GT and 4gb ram. You might be better off with your Intel, but from what I've read the game requires at least a dual core with 2.5ghz each for "acceptable" performance.

I believe your video card is enough, unless you plan on playing on highest settings. 2GB ram might be helpful, more would be nice, but I don't think this game gets near 4gb as of now. (Might get closer when High Resolution textures are up)

BTW... My Athlon drops the game below 10 FPS almost all the time (unless I'm alone in a place, then it gets to 40+, getting to 100+ on most cinematics, a few areas get 20~30 FPS even with other people... Combat in Flashpoints drop me to 10~30 depending on the case).

I'm going to upgrade my computer to an i5 2500k soon, I hope I'll be able to play by then. Also, my performance remains the same no matter what graphic settings I use, so I can tell you for sure it IS my CPU that's dropping my FPS. Might be the case for you, as the 8800 is strong from what I know.

64 Bit windows 7 would cost me a bit though :o

Just download it.

and for the video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

Drivers alone smoke anything ATI in the same range.

*Actually now that I think about, you probably don't have a PCIe slot, that 8800 is running on AGP am I right? You're screwed if it is.

Need to get up to date with the motherboard, RAM, and chip first. AGP thruput is booty.

Edited by VoXPCS

I have a Athlon 64 X2 at 2.2ghz with a 9800 GT and 4gb ram. You might be better off with your Intel, but from what I've read the game requires at least a dual core with 2.5ghz each for "acceptable" performance.

I believe your video card is enough, unless you plan on playing on highest settings. 2GB ram might be helpful, more would be nice, but I don't think this game gets near 4gb as of now. (Might get closer when High Resolution textures are up)

BTW... My Athlon drops the game below 10 FPS almost all the time (unless I'm alone in a place, then it gets to 40+, getting to 100+ on most cinematics, a few areas get 20~30 FPS even with other people... Combat in Flashpoints drop me to 10~30 depending on the case).

I'm going to upgrade my computer to an i5 2500k soon, I hope I'll be able to play by then. Also, my performance remains the same no matter what graphic settings I use, so I can tell you for sure it IS my CPU that's dropping my FPS. Might be the case for you, as the 8800 is strong from what I know.

Yeah I actually think my graphics are fine, Whatever causes Low FPS (usually high pop areas) I wanna get that upgraded. Because i dont care for max settings. Flashpoints are low as well. But If i get the 4gb of RAM, will that help the fps problem or will a whole new CPU help the problem?

The 8800 came over to the states on the Mayflower, by that explorer Mr. Columbus. It's terribly old and outdated. There about 10 better cards available today.

It was never actually a "good card" compared to the highend ones available back then.

Edited by VoXPCS

I should also mention. I run this game highest settings with an i5 2500k, 16gb ram, gtx 460 sli, and a sata3 120gb solid state drive. Little overkill but w/e :p

The only thing there that is overkill would be the 16gb of ram. You only need 8GB for anything you use at the most.

Your GPU is going to give you the best bang for your buck as an upgrade. Followed by memory. Nothing wrong with your CPU unless you plan on scrapping your whole rig (Upgrade CPU, you'll need all new memory, and new mobo)

So graphics card and RAM is what youre saying right haha. Im no good with computers. I just need to know what to buy and I can pop it in.

IMO you get that RAM asap, but if you don't have 64bit you can't utilize it all.

Then get a video card. Keep an eye out on Slickdeals.net usually have some good deals on video cards. For instance ATI 6850 for $120 free shipping after $20 MIR on the frontpage

Your GPU is going to give you the best bang for your buck as an upgrade. Followed by memory. Nothing wrong with your CPU unless you plan on scrapping your whole rig (Upgrade CPU, you'll need all new memory, and new mobo)

Im not sure i would agree with this i was running a radeon hd 6870 with 6gig of ram and an e8400 3ghz cpu i could only run the game on low settings and even then i got lag bearing in mind this was a pc that would run the likes of skyrim on high with no worries . I switched my cpu to a quad core and the improvement was massive i can now run play on high settings worries . This game seems to be very cpu intensive

IMO you get that RAM asap, but if you don't have 64bit you can't utilize it all.

Then get a video card. Keep an eye out on Slickdeals.net usually have some good deals on video cards. For instance ATI 6850 for $120 free shipping after $20 MIR on the frontpage

Idk if i can run 64 bit anything. Im on 32 bit vista right now. So youre saying i cant run 4gb ram on a 32 bit system?

So graphics card and RAM is what youre saying right haha. Im no good with computers. I just need to know what to buy and I can pop it in.

Ya, even if you got something as old as gts 250, it would be a substantial upgrade over an 8800. You'd still have cash left over for 2gb of more ram. But a newer card would be even better, If you drop around $150 you can pick up a real nice one.

Ya, even if you got something as old as gts 250, it would be a substantial upgrade over an 8800. You'd still have cash left over for 2gb of more ram. But a newer card would be even better, If you drop around $150 you can pick up a real nice one.

Can I put 4GB ram on a 32 bit OS?

Idk if i can run 64 bit anything. Im on 32 bit vista right now. So youre saying i cant run 4gb ram on a 32 bit system?

64 bit will work on your system. With 4gb of ram in a 32bit it will recognize all 4gb but then it will say something like (3.0gb usable) something like that.

My brother had 32bit with 2gb of ram, upgraded him to 4gb and 64 bit, his game performance skyrocketed

He has a 4870 ati card, and a Phenom II quad core at 2.8ghz

64 bit will work on your system. With 4gb of ram in a 32bit it will recognize all 4gb but then it will say something like (3.0gb usable) something like that.

My brother had 32bit with 2gb of ram, upgraded him to 4gb and 64 bit, his game performance skyrocketed

He has a 4870 ati card, and a Phenom II quad core at 2.8ghz

I dont have a key anymore for 64 bit..can I get it any other way if you know what im saying. Im not paying for a whole new windows 7. :p